It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Marsquake' May Have Shaken Up Red Planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Right I know this is in the Fragile Earth section, I though it would be more fitting here than Space Exploration.

(Maybe we need a Fragile Mars forum???)

Anyway with that said I bring you this interesting piece of information in regards to a Marsquake with a NASA image of evidence of relatively recent quakes on the surface of Mars by studying boulders that fell off cliffs, leaving tracks behind.

SPACE.com Staff

Date: 21 February 2012 Time: 11:12 AM ET

The surface of Mars appears to have been shaken by quakes relatively recently, hinting at the existence of active volcanoes and perhaps reservoirs of liquid water on the Red Planet, a new study suggests.

Using photographs snapped by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, researchers analyzed the tracks made by boulders that fell from a Martian cliff. The number and size of these boulders — which ranged from 6.5 to 65 feet (2 to 20 meters) in diameter — decreased over a radius of 62 miles (100 kilometers) from a point along Mars' Cerberus Fossae faults.

Full article here.....space.com

I find this sort of discovery fascinating as we have always thought the red planet was dead. But over the recent years we have found out quite a lot.
Will it give up its secrets some time soon?? I sure hope so as i'm more than ready for it

edit on 22/2/12 by boo1981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Mars is very much alive. Of that there is no doubt.

IRM

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Mars is very much alive. Of that there is no doubt.

IRM

Yes you are right. I have always thought that Mars isn't so dead as previously though, there is more and more evidence coming to light that it is still a living breathing planet

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

well.. this seems strange.. especially coming in the wake of a similar roll on the moon which was said to happen NOT too recently..but i have my doubts story was here . waht could be causing these "rolls" and "quakes" ? anyway.. nice find. A flag for you

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

SPACE.com Staff

The surface of Mars appears to have been shaken by quakes relatively recently,...

the words relatively recently in the above quote do not mean day-weeks-years-decades...

in geologic terms 'recently' can mean 10,000 years minimum. but closer to an epoch
or 1 million years ago to those scientists & researchers... .... watch your step warning needed

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

SPACE.com Staff

The surface of Mars appears to have been shaken by quakes relatively recently,...

the words relatively recently in the above quote do not mean day-weeks-years-decades...

in geologic terms 'recently' can mean 10,000 years minimum. but closer to an epoch
or 1 million years ago to those scientists & researchers... .... watch your step warning needed

The time and date is just that. The day on which the article was published NOT the date of the quake!

I know that relatively recently can mean a long period of time when things like this are discovered!

And what do you mean by

watch your step warning needed

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOtime police! nasty alert!
hehehe

this is very much news to me,i always figured mars was pretty darn peaceful.....except for the winds maybe...
I am wondering of this is also some confirmation of abnormal gravity situation in solar system....

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOtime police! nasty alert!
hehehe

this is very much news to me,i always figured mars was pretty darn peaceful.....except for the winds maybe...
I am wondering of this is also some confirmation of abnormal gravity situation in solar system....

I know, i'm not sure what the other ats member meant by warning needed!

I just wanted to bring this info to ATS as I did not find it in a search on here.

And yes I would have to agree with you that there does seem to be something disturbing our solar system, also today there was an article in regards to falling clouds here on Earth. I think there is a thread here. Will see if I can link it.

Here is the link to ATS thread on falling clouds
edit on 22/2/12 by boo1981 because: Add ATS link

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Okay, I saw that you decided to post here instead of Space Exploration......but may I ask why, as in what is the connection with the Earth?

Just curious.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
Okay, I saw that you decided to post here instead of Space Exploration......but may I ask why, as in what is the connection with the Earth?

Just curious.

Well I wasn't sure to be honest. As it was to do with quakes I guess!
But if the Mods seem fit to move it im sure they wiil

I did state in my op that I wasn't sure, and that a fragile Mars forum would be good

new topics

top topics

join