It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MoD Warned Of Space Attack Risk.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
So here we have it... The MoD have now suggested that a nuclear weapon above space could wipe out telecommunications etc.

news.sky.com...

A space attack by a hostile country or terrorists could bring down the UK's power supply and the threat should be taken more seriously, the Ministry of Defence has been told.

Surely we have always known this? Why make the issue of raising the point now? Are we expecting something like this? Or is this a clever way of reminding all the Countries that others are also sending satellites into orbit.

If a nuclear device was detonated 500 miles above the earth, it could generate an electro-magnetic pulse which could wipe out electricity and telecommunications.

It's all yada yada yada.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
So does Iran have a space program ? does Syria (by default i suppose they do from Russia and China) this is all about scaremongering, as you stated we've known this since the advent of the nucleat age about them causing EMP

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
So the ruskies are going to parachute from space????

Hmmmm can they really hate our freedoms and western democracy so much as to hide under our beds like this?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
The exact, proper way to prepare justifications for a war to Iran. Don't look any further.

Like the WMD that were to be found in Irak.

Scare the people, give them a feeling that in the end it is necessary to do that war because the ennemy is right there and ready to hurt you. Blind them.

Brainwash them.

As you say, that has to be true since nuclear weapons exist (or more precisely, since we could potentially launch them in space to explode). So why now ? Asking the question is giving the answer.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab
So the ruskies are going to parachute from space????

Hmmmm can they really hate our freedoms and western democracy so much as to hide under our beds like this?

Ohh ohh ohh I hope they land in the Midwest so I can go out there and call myself a wolverine! Also, what is this about being detonated over the UK? Everyone knows everything earth shaking in the future happens in the US at a predetermined EST.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnivea

I KNOW!!!

Why Hollywoo.....I mean the really smart guys in charge are putting the limelight on the UK I dunno, EVERYTHING ALWAYS happens on the lawn of the White House.

Not London, were on the colonial outskirts, no one is going to believe it happend in London, I mean cmon!

We need a Captain America, maybe something like Govner London!, when the Ruskies invade he could make them cups of tea!!!! that could be his power
edit on 22-2-2012 by Ixtab because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Ixtab

Fantastic! I'm glad someone is on the same page.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kostas
So here we have it... The MoD have now suggested that a nuclear weapon above space could wipe out telecommunications etc.

news.sky.com...

A space attack by a hostile country or terrorists could bring down the UK's power supply and the threat should be taken more seriously, the Ministry of Defence has been told.

Surely we have always known this? Why make the issue of raising the point now? Are we expecting something like this? Or is this a clever way of reminding all the Countries that others are also sending satellites into orbit.

If a nuclear device was detonated 500 miles above the earth, it could generate an electro-magnetic pulse which could wipe out electricity and telecommunications.

It's all yada yada yada.

Your last sentence nailed it. "If" and "could" being used so frequently lets one know this article is fear mongering.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I'm guessing they are in the process of thinking up ideas for entertainment
regarding the 2012 olympics?

This is like saying before you leave the house: "There is a potential threat of me being hit by a piano on my way to work so I better heighten the security and kill everybody that produces pianos and own a piano."

Busy day.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Kostas

The "gist" of the article is here:

The UK Defence Committee also warned a "space weather event" is more likely to take place and could have a similar effect.
According to the report, the Government currently considers the chances of this happening in the next five years to be "moderate to high"
In 1989, the power grid serving Quebec in Canada was wiped out in 90 seconds when a geomagnetic storm overwhelmed the system.
The most severe example of the phenomenon, known as a Carrington event, dates back to 1859 when a solar flare sent electrical currents through the telegraph system, giving shocks to telegraph operators and setting fire to papers.
There is a 91% chance a Carrington event in the UK now would leave the country without power for more than two months, according to National Grid estimates.

news.sky.com...

A "terrorist" threat is being used to "sex up" a very real infrastructure problem. The UK, like the US, needs to harden its infrastructure against severe solar weather. If they need to use an Iranian boogey-man to get the funds, I have no problem with that.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I love knowing everyone else is on the same page! Sometimes I think I am just over thinking everything and in fact there is not another angle to look at situations from but coming on here shows me that yes there is = )

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeSignal

I'm guessing they are in the process of thinking up ideas for entertainment
regarding the 2012 olympics?

That's the closing ceremony sorted then!

top topics

join