It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American journalist Marie Colvin killed in Homs, Syria.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Two foreign journalist's killed in Homs, Syria.

www.guardian.co.uk

A witness contacted by Reuters from Amman said shells hit the house in the Baba Amr district of Homs in which they were staying and a rocket hit them when they tried to escape ...

Video broadcast from Homs showed the bodies among the rubble, one with its legs severed by shrapnel.

Activists in Homs say at least two other foreign journalists were wounded. One ... is in a very serious condition, they said.

"Up to this point we have two dead. They are still under the rubble because the shelling hasn't stopped," an activist in Homs named Omar told Reuters. "No one can get close to the
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.latimes.com
www.telegraph .co.uk
edit on 22-2-2012 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Yahoo states that they are French and American, Marie Colvin who worked for the Sunday Times and frenchmen Remi Ochlik, who worked for Paris Match.

Aparantley more than 10 rockets hit the house they where in so it looks like they were targeted, along with other journalists who were there with them.
A rocket hit them as they tried to escape.
Colvin lost and eye in 2001 to shrapnel while in Sri Lanka.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Marie Colvin

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

I have been monitoring over there from live feeds and have been attacked in my own living room from the explosions.Figure of speech.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

I sometimes wonder what women like Marie Colvin are trying to prove. How tough they are?

The whole situation in Syria is tragic.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector

I sometimes think that for people like her, a 9 to 5 job just would'nt do.
The fear, the adrenalin are like a drug..after a while you cant go back to a normal life.
I glad to think that she went doing what she liked, what she wanted to do, even after loosing an eye in 2001 to shrapnel.
She knew the risk's, clearly, she'd already paid the price once before.
I dont think she would of liked to have died in bed, that would have been boring.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Exactly, I imagine being a journalist reporting from war zones is an extremely exciting career. However, it does come with obvious risks. I guess that's what provides half the excitement.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by saroncan

Im sad to think the people that have instigated and are promoting this uprising are not doing enough to help them now they've started the fight.
In this case hey cant support it so openly as they did in Libya because this time the eyes of the world are on Syria and what's happening.
It's not gone as well as planned like in Libya, and i think and the people behind dont know quite what to do, give more support or give it up as a bad job and try again later when it quietens down a bit.

Whatever happens, more people will die before it's over.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972
Marie Colvin

She looks..... untrustworthy.

Maybe it's just the eye patch, but she looks super sketchy.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

It's the eye patch, normally associated with pirates or movie baddies. I'm sure if she didn't have the patch your reaction would be different

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
She was also famous for her work in Sri Lanka where she was wounded and lost her left eye...This is very sad news.. Marie Colvin was an incredible woman and a outstanding journalist My condolences to her family and friends. peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Colvin was'nt the only one to die..Remi ochlik was a premiered and reknown photographer. Another who had been through numerous war zones..

You got to have balls, or be crazy.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
WTF is this?
This is a thread about a dead person, who the [*snip*] cares what she was looking for or how "trustworthy" (WTF?!) she looks?

Journalists take on these jobs as they are challenging and they know the risks involved. They are not stupid.
It's extremely distasteful and disrespectful to bash her in her own death thread.

Personally I don't know her and haven't ever heard of her or her articles but I know better than to disrespect the dead.

Imagine one of her relatives reading this thread right now..
You people are horrible.
edit on 22-2-2012 by IsraeliGuy because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
was bound to happen as she was with rebels in a rebel MB stronghold.Alawites and christian officers whose families were killed in Homs in hundreds(yes there has been deliberate targetting of shia and christians in homs by muslim brotherhood).

The alawities in the military are having their vengeance on the rebels and their cheerleaders.Anyways on the other side it could be a fabrication by the activists too to make Assad look evil,but thats seems improbable as of now ,but lets wait and watch.
edit on 22-2-2012 by ludwigvonmises003 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by IsraeliGuy

like Rachel Corrie the peace activist.You might enjoy muslim brotherhood when they will use the syrian chemical weapons on Israel. Assad is sane,Muslim brotherhood dreams of martyrdom and 72 virgins.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
That's crazy. I heard her on the news this morning giving a report about a little two year old that died in Homs yesterday. It just goes to show that live really is just a vapor.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by IsraeliGuy

Hear hear, want a candy?

Relax, the world works better.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

what do you mean?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Marie Colvin was one of the few journalists who maintained her integrity for independant and accurate reporting and will be a great loss to the journalist profession.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Some of the comments about this are just disgusting. This woman was one of the truly great jounalists of our times, fearlessly defying brutal warlords and dictators all over the world to bring unbiased reporting to the people.

Marie Colvin's report from Homs appeared on the front page of the most recent edition of the Sunday Times. Referring to the article in an email to the BBC's Middle East Editor, Jeremy Bowen, on Monday night, Marie Colvin wrote that she thought the piece "was one of those we got into journalism for".
"They are killing with impunity here, it is sickening and anger-making," she wrote. She was clearly assassinated by the assad regime for trying to get the truth out.........

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join