It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Falling clouds could counter global warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Okay here is a new twist on the Global Warming frontier...

The sky is falling!!!!

Well sort of... seems NASA is telling us that global warming is making the clouds 'fall' be lower to the ground.

Nature response to all those cow farts and greenhouse gases. NASA says if the clouds are lower to the ground they will help cool the planet...

Well maybe that is what all those chemtrails are all about... seeding the clouds with heavy metals to make them sink

One this is certain, you can always count on NASA for a good story

Research suggests that global warming is bringing clouds closer to the ground.

Read more: www.theage.com.au...

Clouds around the world may be falling in response to rising global temperatures and having a cooling effect on global warming, according to analysis of satellite data by Auckland University scientists.

The first 10 years of data from the NASA Terra satellite, which uses nine cameras at different angles to produce a stereo image of the world's clouds, shows their average height has lowered by about 1 per cent, or 30 to 40 metres.

Most of the reduction was due to fewer clouds occurring at very high altitudes, says the study, published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.
Advertisement: Story continues below

"This is the first time we have been able to accurately measure changes in global cloud height and, while the record is too short to be definitive, it provides just a hint that something quite important might be going on," said lead researcher, Professor Roger Davies.

In a "negative feedback mechanism", lower cloud height would allow the Earth to cool to space more efficiently, reducing the surface temperature of the planet and potentially slowing the effects of global warming.

www.theage.com.au...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
There is just so much wrong here, I'm not sure where to begin.

OK, read up on fog. The altitude of clouds does not heat nor cool ground temperatures. The presence of moisture, among a number of meteorological factors, is tantamount to cloud formation.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I tell you I cant remember how many times I have been out walking on a hot day and a cloud passes over head and provides a wonderful cool breeze. When I clicked on the thread I thought you were talking about something like this:

edit on 2/22/2012 by ISis12RA12ELohim because: to add some things

and no I don't think the video is real lol...

I truly do believe mother nature has her own way of healing and fixing things, lets just hope she doesn't get tired of having to repair herself. But I don't believe that most of the climate change is our fault, I think it is a combination of natural and unnatural circumstances.

Interesting theory though about the chemtrails, I am always open to an alternative view on things. Just yesterday I saw so many chemtrails in my area. I was like wow their having a sky parade! still though they even if this is the case they should realize its not cool for us humans to breath in metals.
edit on 2/22/2012 by ISis12RA12ELohim because: to add some things

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
From the article...

Most of the reduction was due to fewer clouds occurring at very high altitudes

Sounds like cloud bases aren't getting lower, but rather there are fewer high-atmosphere clouds over the last 10 years. So, there are more lower-level clouds around... I guess.

Although, I've been accused of having my head in the clouds, so who knows, they could be on to something.
edit on 22-2-2012 by Zarniwoop because: spelling

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I've seen low clouds before and I'm not sure if it really has to do with global warming. We have to understand that Earth has been here a lot longer then us and scientists really need to understand that we won't have an explanation for everything. It seems that every time they discover something new (or they think is new) they know what it is.

Kinda like how they say the Universe was made xxx billions years ago...We can't even predict our own weather but yet we know when the Universe was made? I don't think so.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Here is a link to the actual Geophysical Research Letter that was submitted:

Global Cloud Height Fluctuatioins

The linear trend is −44 ± 22 m/decade and the interannual annual difference is −31 ± 11 m between the first and last years of the decade.

Wow, a variance of plus or minus 22 meters per decade and yearly variance of plus or minus 11 meters. That's a LOT of play, but as stated in the article this is over a short period of data collection and another decade should tighten those numbers up.

Interesting enough, this letter was submitted just a few months after this letter:

Cloud Variations and the Earth's Energy Budget

The question of whether clouds are the cause of surface temperature changes, rather than acting as a feedback in response to those temperature changes, is explored using data obtained between 2000 and 2010.

Just interesting over the same period of time. Keep in mind that it's 2 different universities and 2 different types of data set.

I think it's still too early to tell on this one yet.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I thought this was amusing - particularly in light of the claims made earlier about the same phenomenon.

Cloud 'Feedback' Affects Global Climate and Warming

ScienceDaily (Dec. 9, 2010) — Changes in clouds will amplify the warming of the planet due to human activities, according to a breakthrough study by a Texas A&M University researcher.

Andrew Dessler, a professor in the Department of Atmospheric Sciences, says that warming due to increases in greenhouse gases will cause clouds to trap more heat, which will lead to additional warming. This process is known as the "cloud feedback" and is predicted to be responsible for a significant portion of the warming over the next century.

..... I still think the object of this research is to obfuscate the facts.... nothing except maybe for US tax code has such a penchant for becoming increasingly unintelligible... the more they know... the less consistent their message is.
edit on 23-2-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

top topics

join