It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kevin Rudd Resigns as Australia's Foreign Minister

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Following a long road of media speculation regarding a second Labor party leadership challenge, Kevin Rudd has resigned as Australia's Foreign Minister "citing attacks on him by Labor ministers and "faceless men", and Julia Gillard's failure to repudiate them."

Kevin Rudd quits as Foreign Minister

Fair enough too, I say. Member for Bendigo, Steve Gibbons, had called him a psychopath a couple of days ago. Simon Crean for one just couldnt stop running his mouth off about Ruddy this week, until he too had to be reprimanded by his fellow party members. Not to mention the treason undertaken by Mark Arbib in the lead up to that fateful day in 2010. They say Rudd was not a team player, but who would want to play ball with a "team" that stabs you in the back at every opportune moment? I'm beginning to wonder if Gillard and her cronies are deliberately trying to destroy the Labor party.

Dont get me wrong, I really dont care for any political party, but I will admit it angered me greatly to wake up one morning and find a internal coup had occurred in my country and noone was going to do anything about it. Regardless of political affiliation, she was not the face the Australian ppl voted for - and even when she did go to election, it was a hung parliament. She bribed independents for the top job, and then reneged on her deals. How can anyone possibly think she can be trusted?

Regardless, it's not all over yet. His resignation has fueled further speculation Rudd is still vying for the top job.

Mr Rudd's decision is a dramatic escalation of Labor's leadership stoush. In a pointed reference to his caucus colleagues, Mr Rudd said they needed to consider who was the best candidate to defeat Opposition leader Tony Abbott at the next federal election.

"There is one over-riding question for my caucus colleagues and that is who is best placed to defeat Tony Abbott at the next election," Mr Rudd.

Rudd's audacious pitch

Australia foreign minister quits sparking leadership crisis

And for those who might have looked past this thread, here's the infamous video which sparked these latest events in Australia's turbulent political landscape. In responding to the video release, Ruddy did little to allay conjecture that the video was leaked via the office of the PM in order to tarnish his reputation. But seriously folks, tell me if it really makes you like, or hate, him any more or less? Personally, I think it makes him more human and appealing to the average Aussie ... most off us have a potty mouth from time to time.

Timeline of events in the Gillard - Rudd showdown

edit on 22/2/2012 by MsVen because: Timeline link

edit on 22/2/2012 by MsVen because: speeling

edit on 22/2/2012 by MsVen because: link to Ruddy pitch

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MsVen

About time he took on JuLIAR Gillard.

What a clown she is.
edit on 22/2/12 by galactictuan because: bold

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I can barely see how gillard has a right to govern, let alone introduce some of the ridiculous policies she has forced on our country, bring on an election ASAP!
I never really liked Rudd, but gillard disgusts me. I wish we had a law similar to that of America where you cannot have the top job if you were not born in the land.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Looks like he's abandoning ship before it sinks. They won't be getting in again next election, that's a definate!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I can see mr rudd appearing again soon on the headlines taking back what was his. imo hed do a better job than jewliar..he wasnt perfect back then but i think hes a stronger leader..besided gingers shouldnt be aloud to run a country

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ozzeetruth
besided gingers shouldnt be aloud to run a country

Agreed.

There should be a new law for that.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Yes... Because that's what our country needs... More idiotic restrictive laws.

Gillard should be charged with treason for what she did in 2010.
That is a different matter, but I hope Rudd gets his revenge if he so seeks it.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I said this from the start when Rudd got the chop, Julie is a PASTY to bring in the carbon tax knowing its an instant dislike by the people, then bring Rudd back to save the Labour party.

Sounds like an intricate plan thats nearly worked.

There's another conspiracy for you guys

HERALD SUN

There's not a slither of difference between them on policy (Julia And Kevin). They jointly gave us all the disastrous policies - from the waste of pink batts and school halls, to restarting the boats, and the two big ones.

First, the $50 billion waste of the National Broadband Network.

Second, the carbon tax which is going to decimate what's left of manufacturing that manages to survive the high value of the Aussie dollar.

Plus making you pay more for electricity and just about everything else as the tax is passed through into prices.

Thank goodness for China. But for the resources boom, the devastating cost of all those Rudd and Gillard failures would have already made us look like a down under version of Greece
edit on 22-2-2012 by muSSang because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
As much as he publicly expresses hes 'not to bothered' attitude to that woman about the fact she blatantly went behind his back an kicked the stool from under him., i think he was an is bothered by it..but like a cunning fox he's been waiting an watching an surely enuff he will pounce!! GO KEV.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
what a load of bollocks. He and his wife should hang their heads in shame. they made a fortune exploiting the 'labor market' and as it was at the time a 'conflict of interests' when he was elected ... she sold the business... *cough cough.. she is stll a subsidary holder. pfft.

timing -> quit whilst overseas? what a pathetic 'glass man'... either way, it is all about strategy but I feel he was happy with following along ... why? cos he has small penile syndrome and is pissed off her clitoris is bigger than his balls.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
The whole political system is a complete joke anyway.

I just vote for the person who is the most entertaining and Kevin Rudd's 'Swearing video' is comedy gold!

Juliar Gillard on the other hand... I would seriously contemplate suicide/murder if I was stuck on an island with her. That voice.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Since no one else has said it yet I'm gonna say it, Abbott should be running this country! I would of preferred Costello, but little Johnny shafted him.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by UsualSuspect I wish we had a law similar to that of America where you cannot have the top job if you were not born in the land.

I would think thats a given, but obviously not. It grates on my nerves also.

Originally posted by muSSang
I said this from the start when Rudd got the chop, Julie is a PASTY to bring in the carbon tax knowing its an instant dislike by the people, then bring Rudd back to save the Labour party.

You could very well be correct there. I've read a couple of articles in the last couple of days, heralding Juliar Gilizard's "negotiation skills" and her ability to pass difficult policy in a turbulent govt --- that she was doing a a thankless job while being constantly taunted by the public for various reasons (well amongst other traits, she does have that voice which just cuts like knife, and she's not adverse to condescending the Australian ppl either). The party however, were not happy that Juliar could not sell these "achievements" to the Australian public. Further, the articles suggested a return of Rudd to put a popular face on these policies, and finally convince Australians of their merit.

Since the video leak I've seen also some speculation that it may have been released by the Ruddy camp because they knew it would not harm his rep and would only make him more appealing in the eyes of the "typical Aussie" ... and it's definately worked that way. I for one certainly enjoyed the video and cheered its release.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
If only Rudd had resigned as an MP also, instead of doing his usual half a job, we could be going to the polls as labour would no longer have a majority. But alas he has let me down yet again.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The Magna Carta Walk - 15th June 2012.

Demanding recognition of our Common Law rights through a "People's Mandate". Petitions are often ineffective because govts are in no way obligated to act on them, but a democratic government cannot ignore a majority mandate from it's citizens ... they must act on it, or risk being fired by the people.

The video is a bit strange in its lubby dubby statements about govt needing our support against corporate lobbyists ... personally I think our govt allows the corporate big wigs this opportunity to "demonise our politicians" (as the video puts it) AND there is no doubt in my mind that a number of them have committed treason. Our politicians like the spoils and the power trip, and few could give a damn about the average Aussie citizen, or our land.

Regardless, this Magna Carta walk looks like it could be a powerful movement given half the chance. I think Aussies are starting to stir ... they are finally showing signs of being fed up.

More info on "The People's Mandate"

Public Petitions are Ineffective, Express Your Will with a Peoples’ Mandate

The People's Mandate

This next one is an old website (goes on about the GST), but it has some good info and explanations about People's Mandate, what it means, and how it works.

We The People Mandate

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by UsualSuspect
If only Rudd had resigned as an MP also, instead of doing his usual half a job, we could be going to the polls as labour would no longer have a majority. But alas he has let me down yet again.

That might be his plan for Monday if he doesnt get the caucus votes. Should Gillard by chance win, Rudd quits as MP, and BAM! End of Labor majority govt anyway. He's playing his cards.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
People need to realise that Politician's are NOT there to represent us, they are there to RE-present us [the majority]. For example, i could claim to represent your opinions, but all i have to do is say i represent you while then saying whatever i want. But, if i was to RE-present you, i would have to say what you have presented, hence RE-present. This was the original meaning in Australian politics, but over time they removed the dash and went from re-present to represent and changed its meaning and what it stood for so they could do and say whatever they wanted, rather than doing and saying what they were told to do and say by the majority !

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
No Surprise but Ruddy has announced his intention to contest for the leadership on Moonday.

This has got to be one of the cheekiest political speeches I have ever seen!

And check that smirk on his face.

He has promised to go to the backbench and will not challenge a second time if he loses.
He has ruled out leaving all together and forcing the country back to the voting polls.

edit on 24/2/2012 by MsVen because: Added Rudds intentions if he loses

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join