It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 NY cops face hearing for tossing a football with a kid.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
So while the NYPD deals with:
Hundreds of police union members rally for "professional priviledge"
Record high "stop and frisk" harassment
NYPD officers participated in racist Facebook ramblings
NYPD Planting drugs with regularity

All just in the last 4 months...

They have to go after cops tossing a football.

We all see the pattern here.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Okay,

Hundreds of police union members rally for "professional priviledge"

Those officers were charged and arrested. You complain when officers are NOT arrested and charged for alleged misconduct. You also complain when officers ARE arrested and charged for alleged misconduct. Make up your mind.

Record high "stop and frisk" harassment

There are many things that go into a stop and frisk encounter with the police.

Also, it appears that you have fallen for the common media outlet trick. It says that:

Police in New York City stopped and questioned a record-breaking 684,330 people last year

Stopped and questioned. Not stopped and frisked. They are misleading you with the numbers.
Also, it says that the department recovered 819 guns which were included in 8,263 weapons taken off of criminals.

NYPD officers participated in racist Facebook ramblings

Once again, you have been mislead by "less than reputable" reporting.

According to The New York Times, the NYPD has come under fire recently after it was revealed that several officers were linked with a certain Facebook group.

Several officers? Do you know how many police officers are in New York City? 36,000.

Sixty percent of the Facebook accounts in the group matched the names of NYPD officers.

And this is the proof that it is shoddy reporting. They matched names from the Facebook accounts that commented in the group to names of NYPD officers? Wow. Out of 36,000 police officers, a few names are bound to match. That is hardly evidence that those people are actually police officers in the NYPD. Think about it a little bit. Dont just be lead down a road by absolutely terrible media outlet reporting.

NYPD Planting drugs with regularity

So let me get this straight, a cop who was participating in the misconduct is given a deal to testify about further misconduct? The only two directly implicated in the article are these TWO detectives. The other allegations are simply allegations and there is no corroborating evidence or convictions. Co-defendant testimony is not admissable in criminal court without corroboration simply because defendants make up stories to get a deal and get out of trouble.

All just in the last 4 months...

Yes, it appears those articles were published in the last four months but that does not mean that all of these incidents happened within 4 months. The ticket fixing scandal alone took months to develop.

They have to go after cops tossing a football.

It is borderline misappropriation of public funds and dereliction of duty.

We all see the pattern here.

No, you are drawing dotted lines between several unrelated incidents.

Stick to the topic. The bottom line is that it was not your decision to make. If you feel that you can make decisions, provide leadership and supervise police officers or a police department, please, by all means apply for the job. Once you are hired you can get promoted and start to make said decisions.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by areyouserious2010
Those officers were charged and arrested. You complain when officers are NOT arrested and charged for alleged misconduct. You also complain when officers ARE arrested and charged for alleged misconduct. Make up your mind.

The complaint isnt about the 16 being charged. The complaint is about the hundreds of union protestors who showed up to rally for "professional privilege" at the request of the PBA. That's an institution-wide problem.

There are many things that go into a stop and frisk encounter with the police.

Also, it appears that you have fallen for the common media outlet trick. It says that:

Police in New York City stopped and questioned a record-breaking 684,330 people last year

Stopped and questioned. Not stopped and frisked. They are misleading you with the numbers.
Also, it says that the department recovered 819 guns which were included in 8,263 weapons taken off of criminals.

Stop and frisk has been controversial since day one. What they claim to recover doesnt justify the targeted harassment of poor and minorities.

You want to say 16 officers charged with a crime or 500+ officers backed by the PBA rallying for the right to commit that crime is insignificant compared to the 30,000+ officers. Well, isnt 800 recovered firearms insignificant to the 600,000 people stopped and harassed?

Several officers? Do you know how many police officers are in New York City? 36,000.

They are either both insignificant or they are both significant.

Besides, those cops share locker rooms with other cops. Ideas contaminate institutions. Especially institutions so entrenched in imaginary brotherhood and camaraderie and "good 'ol boy" order.

Looking the other way when you overhear officer Dan make a "spic" joke is as bad as making the joke yourself.

So let me get this straight, a cop who was participating in the misconduct is given a deal to testify about further misconduct? The only two directly implicated in the article are these TWO detectives. The other allegations are simply allegations and there is no corroborating evidence or convictions. Co-defendant testimony is not admissable in criminal court without corroboration simply because defendants make up stories to get a deal and get out of trouble.

Sure, it's possible. Same for every states witness. I guess this nullifies plea-bargains and deals in courtrooms across the nation. Or just the ones where cops are on trial?

We can add the NYPD boys with their gun smuggling ring and the rapist cops from last year for good measure.

It's all like Catholics coming out against abortion but they just arent "Catholic" enough to refrain from the premarital sex in the first place.

These two cops were still out, still on the job, still present in the community when they tossed a ball.

I always heard "community policing" was dead. I just didnt know that the departments themselves killed it.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Out here in Calif it would be called Community-Oriented Policing.
This is where the cops get out of there patrol cars and get to know the people in the area they serve.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

so whats your idea of overtime work?

strip searching everyone walking by?
searching every car thats driving by for drugs or whatever?
making sure every dog around is leashed up?

they are around working in the community, if a crime broke out they not going to be like 'oh well, im playing fetch let that car get jacked'
they are still there SERVING AND PROTECTING
edit on 22-2-2012 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
God forbid police officers get a little physical exercise while engaging with and inspiring the youth of their community.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Look, I know we taxpayers pay for their salary, but I'd much rather pay for police playing football with kids, than beating up protesters and tazing people.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Theres really nothing to say...this was community policing at it's best. Policing from a time when a cop would gave you a slap round the back of the head and take you home before cuff you and stick you in the back of the cruiser.
It was policing like this that made neighbourhoods safe for kids and old ladies.
People would see the local beat cop as a friend.

This damn world's on it's screwed up head.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The good cops can't get a break because of the bad cops. I was gonna post the Cool Cops/Skateboarding kids vid, when I realized that there a lot of them out there.

For those that love to care: Thank You!!

For those that love to scare: Bite Me.

I've worked law enforcement on a few different levels. I tried to make a difference, but the hypocrisy & bs eventually got the best of me and I found more efficient ways to give back.

To heck with the "overtime" argument...believe me when I tell you that many police do MUCH worse things on their OT than spending some time with kids building rapport.
edit on 22-2-2012 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by areyouserious2010
reply to post by ReadyPower

Wow, so if you beat, taze, murder citizens nothing happens to you.. but these 2 cops got caught tossing a football with a kid and get in trouble?

Are you being serious or are you just trying to provoke a reaction out of people? If you are seriously asking a question, I will have a discussion with you. If not, stop being ridiculous.

Yeah, you are supposed to be trying to give people tickets, not interacting with them! By the way, could the fact that these are two female officers have something to do with the punishment?

To SERVE and protect, right? I think our police forget, maybe their new model is to abuse all power and make the city money.

Well, lets look at the totality of the circumstances.

What you seem to forget is that the officers were on overtime. When officers are held on overtime, it is usually for a certain purpose. Lets say, anti crime detail, traffic detail, whatever. When officers are on overtime, they are usually being paid time and a half to do said detail. So, if officers are being paid overtime to do a certain detail, they need to be performing that particular job or it is a waste of taxpayer money.

Yes, throwing a football with a child is a very worthwhile and important job for the police department because it builds community relations. If the officers were on patrol on regular duty then this is a good use of their time as long as nothing else more important is going on at the moment.

Was it an overreaction to formally reprimand the officers? I would say yes.

Would the appropriate reprimand be not considering those officers for overtime details in the future? I would say yes because instead of doing the job they are being paid overtime to do they are throwing a football around with a kid.

The entire day would have been "overtime" due to it being on the 4th of July which is a holiday. So you are saying that since it was a holiday and therefore overtime pay, then they should have been doing anything else but building a trusting relationship with the people of the neighborhood?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
When I was a kid we had a cop assigned to our grammar school. He was there every morning as we got to school and ever afternoon as we left.

He was a great guy. So, my impression of police was that they were there to help.

I'd like to see more community policing as a regular practice so the people and the police work together to keep their community as a good place to live.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I see no problem with what the officer did. Many people forget what the original purpose of a police force is: to protect and serve THE COMMUNITY.

Seriously, to solve something like this, we need to have a system in which maybe 5-10 hours a month, an officer could be paid for "community building" or something like that. During that time, officers could engage in social interaction with the community. Heck, I wouldn't have a problem with the officer going to a bar and hanging out, provided he didn't drink enough to be past the legal limit.

It could improve people's opinions of police and possibly morale too.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
But, but the poor child could have been hurt trying to catch that football. He could've tripped and fallen, or have his self esteem hurt by not catching the football, or worst of all, shown violent tendencies by kicking the ball. Oh and from there he's definitely a psychopath. That poor child must be traumatized, yes, punish the only good cops left in America, they deserves for the tragedy they caused. Think of the children!
*end sarcasm
Are people this messed up, to think that cops participating in and encouraging kids to actually go outside and play is misconduct, when cops can taze, pepper spray, and kill people for the slightest thing and get away with it with a slap on the wrist? The world's a crazy, and a lot of the time idiotic, place.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
OF COURSE

They absolutely do not want the police making HUMAN CONNECTION with the locals or else they won't ENFORCE the BS laws that HURT the people that they make a connection with.

It makes sense why they were punished.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

The entire day would have been "overtime" due to it being on the 4th of July which is a holiday. So you are saying that since it was a holiday and therefore overtime pay, then they should have been doing anything else but building a trusting relationship with the people of the neighborhood?

To be honest, the article really doesnt specify if the overtime is because of the holiday or if the officers were held over for a specific detail. Probably purposefully.

It is speculation on either end to say we know for sure.

If the officers were reprimanded for throwing a football with a kid during their regular shift then it is an overreaction.

If the officers were reprimanded for throwing a football with a kid while they were held over and paid further overtime to perform a specific duty, then it is not an overreaction.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

The complaint isnt about the 16 being charged. The complaint is about the hundreds of union protestors who showed up to rally for "professional privilege" at the request of the PBA. That's an institution-wide problem.

Any organization arguing for something is irrelevant. If these 16 instances were covered up and not charged then we would have a problem. If the department refused to identify it as a problem then we would have a problem. But that is not the case. The PBA is up front with how they feel on the issue and are making their argument. My personal opinion is that they are wrong and once a ticket is issued it should be worked out in court and not "fixed." It appears that is how the States Attorney and Police Department of New York City also feel on the issue.

Stop and frisk has been controversial since day one. What they claim to recover doesnt justify the targeted harassment of poor and minorities.

Controversial? How is a police officer stopping someone for suspicious activity controversial? How is a police officer performing a pat down on someone they believe to be possessing a weapon controversial? Police are there to investigate suspicious activity and crime. If a police officer can articulate their reason for believing someone is armed, it is common sense for them to pat them down to see if they have a weapon.

There are many things that are taken into consideration when an officer makes the decision to pat down a person. If officers are working in a neighborhood predominately occupied by minorities, or low income families, where gun violence is high they are bound to contact more minorities or people of low income.

You want to say 16 officers charged with a crime or 500+ officers backed by the PBA rallying for the right to commit that crime is insignificant compared to the 30,000+ officers.

I give no appraisal if it is insignificant or not. The fact that police officers are identified and charged for "ticket fixing" shows that the problem is not being ignored or covered up. Who are you to say that the problem is more systemic without proof to back up such accusation?

Well, isnt 800 recovered firearms insignificant to the 600,000 people stopped and harassed?

You failed to see the point that I was making. The 600,000 number is the number of people stopped and QUESTIONED. That does not mean that all of those were stopped and FRISKED or patted down. It appears that the media source intentionally provided the number to make it appear skewd.

Besides, those cops share locker rooms with other cops. Ideas contaminate institutions. Especially institutions so entrenched in imaginary brotherhood and camaraderie and "good 'ol boy" order.

The number of police officers engaged in criminal activity or gross misconduct is a very small minority of the total number of officer. That small minority of officers usually conducts business under the radar and away from most other officers. Corrupt cops follow the same principles as any other criminal and they know that the more people that know about your misdeeds, the better chance someone will blow the wistle on you.

Looking the other way when you overhear officer Dan make a "spic" joke is as bad as making the joke yourself.

Racism in the police force is obviously unacceptable. But an officer ignoring another officer stating their personal opinion or making a joke is a far cry from an officer ignoring criminalty by another police officer.

Sure, it's possible. Same for every states witness. I guess this nullifies plea-bargains and deals in courtrooms across the nation. Or just the ones where cops are on trial?

What you are missing is that co-defendant testimony has to be corroborated in order to be admissable in court. This because anyone can make say whatever they want when they are promised immunity, police or not.

We can add the NYPD boys with their gun smuggling ring and the rapist cops from last year for good measure.

It's all like Catholics coming out against abortion but they just arent "Catholic" enough to refrain from the premarital sex in the first place.

These two cops were still out, still on the job, still present in the community when they tossed a ball.

I always heard "community policing" was dead. I just didnt know that the departments themselves killed it.

Some white people are racist. That does not mean all white people are racist.
Some black people are criminals. That does not mean all black people are criminals.
Some hispanics are illegal immigrants. That does not mean all hispanics are illegal immigrants.
Some asians are great at math. That does not mean all asians are great at math.
Some Catholic Priests are pedofiles. That does not mean all Priests are pedofiles.
Continued...

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

...continued.
Some police officers are corrupt. That does not mean all police officers are corrupt.

The point is you are getting upset about police corruption. Should everyone be upset about police corruption and work to combat it. Absolutely.

The difference is, you allow misconception to guide your arguments which is fueled by an emotionally charged rush to judgement.
edit on 24-2-2012 by areyouserious2010 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join