It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Battle For Australia

page: 1
13

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Hey guys, just a few days ago marked the 1942 Bombing of Darwin, so I wanted to post a thread concerning the Battle for Australia for those who don't know much about it. It was a battle that lasted two years from 1942 to 1943 with many thousands of Australians killed.
The following videos are some interesting takes on the events that occurred in Australia between 1942-1943, enjoy!!! Admins please put this in the correct subject if it is not already.

Please watch all the videos they provide an excellent insight, also please S@F and comment to let me know what you think.










edit on 22-2-2012 by Jace26 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2012 by Jace26 because: (no reason given)




posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26
 


Dear Jace26,

Thanks for posting this. I am going to bed; but, I will watch these tomorrow. I know that the Australians have been in many wars and understand that they paid a price. Still, I am not familiar enough with how they spent WWII. Star and Flag for telling us more. Peace.



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion
 


No problem, these videos were the best I could find at explaining the Battle for Australia.



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Hey mate i am glad that you posted it, hopefully it won't be polluted with ignorant Americans such as the last one. Why is it in rant though, maybe a mistake???

Now, if only the government would release the facts about Japan and their intention to invade Australia. I know there is a very solid and reliable source, but i look forward to the day (If there ever will be one) where they announce that we were going to get invaded, but successfully defended ourselves.

S&F



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Great thread

My grandfather was 2nd AIF, he was at Port Lae and Milne Bay and part of
both footy teams there.

2/43rd battalion I think, always said he was just the cook

edit on 22-2-2012 by LeLeu because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Hey mate i am glad that you posted it, hopefully it won't be polluted with ignorant Americans such as the last one. Why is it in rant though, maybe a mistake???

Now, if only the government would release the facts about Japan and their intention to invade Australia. I know there is a very solid and reliable source, but i look forward to the day (If there ever will be one) where they announce that we were going to get invaded, but successfully defended ourselves.

S&F


Thanks for everyones comments and S@F's, and I would very much like to keep this thread clean if thats possible. I put it in rant as I couldn't figure out where else to put it, but I'm sure the admins will move it if they feel its needed.


I agree, the Australian government does still have hidden archives of WW2 and possibly invasion plans. For instance, the Townsville Mutiny was only disclosed a month or so ago after 70 years of coverups, yet its the single largest mutiny in US history!!
What else is there that is still to be told?



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
This man was interrogated by the US after spilling this information, and afterwards, denied what he said, saying that the newspaper misquoted him:

He was a very reliable source:

www.ozatwar.com...


The article indicated that Mr Sato had stated that the Japanese had realised that it would have been too difficult to move a large force south from Darwin and had then decided to attack the Queensland coast midway between Townsville and Brisbane. He indicated that communications were good and the population was sparse in that area of Queensland.



The city of Brisbane was reportedly the first objective of this so-called Invasion Plan of Australia. It was believed that Brisbane could be taken quite readily with a minimum of cost and resistance.



Sydney was the next objective and was to be attacked by land and amphibious forces. They then planned to move on to Melbourne, but by this time, they anticipated that Australia would have surrendered. Mr Sato claimed that moral in Australia was low at that time, and that Australian complaints about Britain deserting Australia was evidence of this fact.



Again, according to Mr. Sato, the Japanese campaign in New Guinea used up all the forces originally intended for the invasion of Australia. Mr. Sato indicated that the Japanese had initially thought the Australian forces would be a pushover in New Guinea. This they abruptly found not to be the case. Despite this underestimation of the Australians fighting ability, Mr Sato indicated that the Japanese believed that Australia could be persuaded to become neutral. The Japanese propaganda machine turned itself to achieving this goal.


A very interesting read, and sorry for clogging up the thread



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital
 


No your not clogging the thread up, its very useful information that more Australians should know about. Also, with the invasion plans. I read they were planning to land an invasion force between Sydney and Melbourne which would create a diversionary tactic. However, I had no idea the Japanese troops in New Guinea were to be used for an invasion, thats new to me.
All I can say is thank god we stopped them and lest we forget.



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jace26
reply to post by daaskapital
 


No your not clogging the thread up, its very useful information that more Australians should know about. Also, with the invasion plans. I read they were planning to land an invasion force between Sydney and Melbourne which would create a diversionary tactic. However, I had no idea the Japanese troops in New Guinea were to be used for an invasion, thats new to me.
All I can say is thank god we stopped them and lest we forget.
I too have read about that tactic. The Diggers put up an excellent fight for this country, and saved us from the Japanese. May they be remembered for eternity.



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Thank you for the videos I have not seen them yet but it looks quality, Man our grandfathers kicked ass though!
Proud to be an AUSSIE



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26
 

Being a dumb Brit, this, like so many other pieces of recent history were never taught at schools for the unwashed masses. We had to learn that there were Barons and Kings that didn't always get along and how much the country needed the guiding and benevolent hand of some damn foreigner that didn't belong there in the first place (German British Royal Family anyone?)

I wonder if the Japanese planned to warn the Australians of impending hostilities like they tried wityh Pearl Harbour. (Due to the Japanese sending huge encrypted texts they didn't make it in time so no warning was given to the US until 30 minutes after it had started.)

The Wiki article on the raids reads like major fail on the part of "planners". Not enough defence, faulty equipment and faulty weapons....

This stuck out like a sore thumb too:

The Australian government covered-up the bombing raids on Darwin believing its publication would represent a psychological blow to the Australian population.

Source
Thanks for the info.



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver
 


If you rewatch the very first video it will explain just how much warning Australia had. Even a few years before the start of WW2, Japan was already stretching its Empire south and north in China, Indochina, Manchuin,etc.
Australia before WW2 was increasingly concerned about Japans march southwards, but unbelievably they decided a diplomatic response was the most appropriate, so when war came to Australia's shores there was little anyone could do.
edit on 22-2-2012 by Jace26 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26
 


Dear Jace26,

Got home from work and watched all the videos. Thanks for posting, it was very interesting and something I was not familiar with. Peace.



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion
 


No worries I'm glad you enjoyed them.
I only wish it had gone into more detail about the Battle of the Coral Sea, which most regard as the naval battle that saved Australia from the onslaught of a Japanese invasion.



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26
 


My uncle, who passed away two years ago, was in Iwo Jima; but, he never discussed it. Soon there will be fewer and fewer to give us the history of these battles. Glad they made a series on the Battle for Australia. Peace.



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26
 


Hello Jace,

Thanks a bunch for these video links.. When I was in Oz 10-2010... I went to the RSL club for dinner one night.

Right about sunset, they have a minute of silence, play Oz "taps"... there was a recording of a speech made long ago played as well.. and I believe we stood during that time?

Anyhow, I thought it a respectful thing to do... as those ANZAC troops fought in some terrible conditions, they did suffer greatly.

Very interested in Oz history.. from beginning to present.

Pravdaseeker



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by pravdaseeker
reply to post by Jace26
 


Hello Jace,

Thanks a bunch for these video links.. When I was in Oz 10-2010... I went to the RSL club for dinner one night.

Right about sunset, they have a minute of silence, play Oz "taps"... there was a recording of a speech made long ago played as well.. and I believe we stood during that time?

Anyhow, I thought it a respectful thing to do... as those ANZAC troops fought in some terrible conditions, they did suffer greatly.

Very interested in Oz history.. from beginning to present.

Pravdaseeker



Thanks mate for your interest, and yeah I've been to a few RSL's myself and its always funny when the minute of silence begins when your already standing (which has happened to me before).
But everyone is very respectful, except I'm not sure what recording you are referring to? Maybe it was the anthem?



posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by Jace26
 


My uncle, who passed away two years ago, was in Iwo Jima; but, he never discussed it. Soon there will be fewer and fewer to give us the history of these battles. Glad they made a series on the Battle for Australia. Peace.


I know what you mean, just last year Australia lost it's last WW1 veteran who also happened to be the last in the world. It's always sad to see those who experienced these things pass away, which only leaves us with books to read from (not exciting lol).
Many veterans don't like talking about the war because it brings back many painful memories like watching your mates get killed,etc.
I'm not entirely sure if I uploaded the entire series, there may be a few that I missed, but thanks for commenting.




top topics



 
13

log in

join