It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Flood timeline

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
There are 175 flood myths that span 6 continents. Right after the flood comes the birth of civilization and the first writing systems (3100 B.C) Certainly when a phenomena like this occurs it deserves close scientific investigation, but unfortunately when a religious work is involved scientist are too quick to disregard it as garbage. So how are all these cultures seemingly experiencing the same event? Maybe these cultures were in contact with each other, but due to dates given to us in ancient literature and obvious technological impedments this is implausible. Maybe a great flood actually happened, but we need some extraordinary evidence for extraordinary claims. Flood theories most often get shut down because of a severe lack of evidence and unfortunately linguistic and translation errors, but hopefully this thread will shed some light.

Here are some facts about flood myths:

What would it take for the entire Earth to be swallowed up in water?

It would take up to 3 times the amount of water on the earth to cover the Earth up to the tallest mountain.

The flood wasn't global, it was more local:

"And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth."

The strong's word for earth here is kol eretz, meaning earth or land, as apposed to genesis 1 where only eretz or earth is used.

Very intensive look into translational misunderstandings

A local flood would explain why the Egyptians had no record of the flood.

The cause of the flood was the largest impact in recent history; the Burckle impact hit right off the cost of Madagascar around 2500-3000 B.C. It went through miles of water instantly vaporizing it, which would explain why it rained for 40 days and 40 nights, sent mega-tsunamis in every direction, and deposited magnite and nickel all along the African coast.

More recent prehistoric impacts are theorized by the Holocene Impact Working Group, including Dallas Abbott of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory. This group points to four enormous chevron sediment deposits at the southern end of Madagascar, containing deep-ocean microfossils fused with metals typically formed by cosmic impacts. All of the chevrons point toward a spot in the middle of the Indian Ocean corresponding with the newly hypothesized Burckle crater proposed to be some 29 km (18 mi) in diameter, or about 25 times larger than Barringer Crater. This group posits that a large asteroid or comet impact c. 2800-3000 BCE produced a mega-tsunami at least 180 m (590 ft) high, a catastrophic event that would have affected humanity's cradles of civilization

en.wikipedia.org...

Burckle Crater

So we can conclude that the Great Deluge or Flood occured around 2500-3000 B.C. scientists put it around as late as 10,000 B.C but this raises a few flags

1. It messes with the most comprehensive list of genealogy
2. There is no record of a 10,000 BC flood in ANY ancient literature. (Dont bring up atlantis)
3. The Gilgamesh Epic (and other epics) fit well into a 3000 BC date. (Gilgamesh was king of Uruk at 2700 B.C and spoke to a survivor, so a date like 10000 B.C would be impossible)

Enviornmental archaeologist Bruce Masse was one of a group of scientists that did alot of the impact simulations, data collection, and deposit analyzing, called the Holocene Impact Working Group. The crater has not been dated yet, probably because it's at the bottom of the Ocean.

a-place-to-stand.blogspot.com...

Masse’s biggest idea is that some 5,000 years ago, a 3-mile-wide ball of rock and ice swung around the sun and smashed into the ocean off the coast of Madagascar. The ensuing cataclysm sent a series of 600-foot-high tsunamis crashing against the world’s coastlines and injected plumes of superheated water vapor and aerosol particulates into the atmosphere. Within hours, the infusion of heat and moisture blasted its way into jet streams and spawned superhurricanes that pummeled the other side of the planet. For about a week, material ejected into the atmosphere plunged the world into darkness. All told, up to 80 percent of the world’s population may have perished, making it the single most lethal event in history.

They theorize that the crater is up to 20 times the size of the Barringer crater in Arizona

edit on 22-2-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
here is a site with all flood myths. I was going to do a thread about it and world myths but I´ll offer it to you instead. I couldn't finish for personal reasons.

Flood Stories from Around the World
www.talkorigins.org...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainNemo

CaptainNemo,
Thank you for sharing this this thread, and thank you both for great links! I love the flood stories! I do believe there was a flood on account of how many stories worldwide of it..I to am fascinated with how they kept in touch as well as we do there is so much about that time we have no idea its fascinating. The flood I think is so very true and I thank you for your share!!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

CaptainNemo,
Thank you for sharing this this thread, and thank you both for great links! I love the flood stories! I do believe there was a flood on account of how many stories worldwide of it..I to am fascinated with how they kept in touch as well as we do there is so much about that time we have no idea its fascinating. The flood I think is so very true and I thank you for your share!!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by casenately

Yeah, I'm actually working on something about mythology and theology right after the flood. I found out about the Burckle creator today it was just apart of my research and I wasn't going to make a thread about it but I couldn't believe nobody had ever brought it up on ATS before.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I thought I might pass along these links to some vids that might help ... this first link is where there are multiple sources nwcreation.net...

Catastrophic Plate Tectonics: A Global Flood Model For Earth History 60 minute seminar by Steven Austin recorded at the Seattle Creation Conference October, 2009. www.nwcreation.net...

I found the above helped me look at the flood a little different than the standard way as I was unconvinced weather it was local or global ..I hope it might help ...peace
edit on 22-2-2012 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I have never heard of the Burckle impact and wonder if someone could please enlarge on the comment for those of us like me who are ignorant.

An interesting point occurred to me about the dating of that impact was how it rather coincides with the dates for disappearance of Atlantis... It would tend to explain the Atlantis myth too. Maybe not so much a myth after all?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

i thought i had read about this theory of a asteroid off Madascar before this...

it seems that:

Holocene Impact Working Group
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Associate Professor Ted Bryant, geomorphologist, Wollongong University, Australia
Dallas Abbott, research scientist, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, New York
Slava Gusiakov, Novosibirsk Tsunami Laboratory, Russia
Marie-Agnès Courty, soil scientist, European Center for Prehistoric Research, Tautavel, France
Dee Breger, director of microscopy, Drexel University, Philadelphia
Bruce Masse, environmental archaeologist, Los Alamos National Laboratory, New Mexico

did their work in ? 2006-2010

and was an outgrowth from the earlier Workshop: hazardous comets and asteroids

www.noao.edu...
Workshop on Scientific Requirements for Mitigation of Hazardous Comets and Asteroids
(Workshop Sponsored by NASA; co-sponsored by Ball Aerospace and Science Applications International Corporation)

the earlier workshop was in 2002....

but i recall---i think fuzzy--- that i read this theory about the flood relation back in the 20th century

interesting though, * for U
edit on 22-2-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

top topics

join