It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Lifts Car to save Grandfather

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
So, a 15 year old (Austin) and his grandfather were tinkering around with an old car, when it slipped off the blocks it was on while the old guy was under it.

Monhollen was trapped underneath the more than 2,000 pound vehicle.

"I was just so scared," Austin said. "I didn't know what to do."

The kid was somehow able to lift the front of the car just enough so his grandfather could escape.

How did he lift the rock-heavy vehicle? It's a mystery to Austin, too.

"I have no clue," he said. "Probably all the adrenaline. I mean, I couldn't do it right now."

www.clickondetroit.com...

ADRENALINE --

Adrenaline, or epinephrine, is a hormone produced by the adrenal glands in high stress or physically exhilarating situations. This powerful hormone is a vital part of the human body's acute stress response system, also called the body's "fight or flight" response. It works by stimulating the heart rate, contracting blood vessels, and dilating air passages, ultimately increasing blood flow to muscles and oxygen to the lungs increasing physical performance for short bursts of time.

www.wisegeek.com...

Aside from being a great story, it got me wondering about "adrenaline" and how it could make something like this possible. That's a heavy, heavy car. Is it just adrenaline that allowed him to pick it up, even though his normal physical strength renders it a basic impossibility? Is there something more we tap in to at such times?

Just wondering what your thoughts are.
edit on 21-2-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
We only use a small portion of our brains. Who really knows what we are truly capable of? What a wonderful story! I am so happy to hear the Grandfather is ok! Amazing!!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Who really knows what we are truly capable of?

Exactly. And very intriguing.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

There is a bunch of muscles called skeleton muscles that have the primary purpose of maintaining the bone structure and postures that are outside of conscious control. With hypnosis for instance you can access these muscles both for relaxation or to rigidly hold a posture. You may have probably seen someone being held at the head and feet and capable of sporting a large load without bending...

These types of feats of ultimate endurance or strength are both the full use of musculature at above normal performance and mental focus on the tasks, it also serves to suppress pain...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Interesting. I didn't realize that. Thanks for the information.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

The article does say lifted the front end "just enough" for the grandfather to get out from under the car....

Anyone can lift up the front end of a car, not to where it comes off the ground, but the struts in the front end do allow up and down movement of the front end pretty easily. Not saying anyone could lift a car off the ground, but if this is the case here....There was absolutely something else going on here, like divine intervention.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I know of four instances where a car has been lifted.

1) My best friend at age 10 was knocked over by a car (going too fast) and ended up under the car. Her dad came and lifted it off her arm. Her arm was messed up bad but it would have been amputated, if it had been under any longer.

2) After the Hurricane in UK in the 1980s the main road was blocked by fallen trees. But the bulldozer couln't move the trees because of the cars. In 500yds of road, only one car was under a car. (Miracle in itself.) Basically it was car/tree/car/tree. My uncle taught everyone to move the cars by bouncing them, by pushing them and then 'all lift now'. It was an amazing sight; a load of Cockneys moving cars with permission LOL.

3) I was pregnant and a car was blocking in my car, in it's parking bay. I used the bouncing method. Boy was the owner pissed and told the Police. I didn't get into trouble as they couldn't work out how I moved it.LOL

4) This is thte paranormal one. I was on holiday in 2006 with my two teenagers and my hubby. We were in the French and Italian Alps on an offroading holiday in a 110 Landrover; fully loaded. Basically 2 tons with luggage and 2 weeks of food, for four people.
We were coming down from 9000 ft Sommelier Glacier and got struck on a hairpin that we had had to shunt. But there was a boulder that was stopping us reversing enough to turn around. As the road was covered in shale the Landrover was sliding forward toward the edge, even with both brakes on we were still moving forward.
With 2 inches from the edge I get out and see if I can do anything. I could see we were stuck and the rest of the group had gone up to 10,000ft. They would be too late to help us.
I cry out to God and make the decision to go with the family if the car goes over.
I hear a voice that tells me to tell hubby, to put full steering lock on, and put my hands on the car bonnet (hood) and push.
The next thing the car is exactly where it needs to be; pointing down the road. Definitely adrenaline flowing that day; in fear. So scared, my mouth went dry.

I obviously have been given the metagene. But since then I haven't been able to move paper. I can move wind though. (Meterological not just the smelly type lol.)

Peace

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AriesJedi

Boy do I lead a boring life - I've never moved a car or seen one be moved - and you've seen four! Number 4 sounds downright terrifying - glad it worked out..........so amazingly!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Muscle fibers are wrapped in bunches. We only use about 10-30% of that fiber at any one time, even under extreme duress. The fibers fire in a manner that keeps some reserve power, and prevents us from exhausting completely, and keeps us from damaging our tendons and bones with too much leverage.

What this means, is that our maximum strength is really actually 3 to 10 times higher than what we think it is.

So, if a person can normally Dead Lift 300 pounds, then under extreme duress, when the bodies emergency response overwrites its normal safety procedures, then the same person can lift 1200 pounds or more! In addition, the body usually dedicates resources to things like digestion, thinking, simple repairs, etc. Those resources can be re-allocated in an emergency so your whole body only has one goal! You add in adrenalin (aka epinephrine) and miraculous things happen!

The downside, the person doing this miraculous act is often injured or at least subjected to potential injury, but it is worth a torn tendon or fractured bone if you can save a life, and your subconscious realizes this.

WOW, I'm searching for a source for what I've regurgitated above, but there is not any singular simple source. One would have to google "superhuman strength," "muscle-fiber recruitment," and "physiological stress reaction."

This one is about as succinct as I could find, but it doesn't go much into the muscle fiber recruitment.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps this is how we moved some of the giant stones at stone hinge. I know the spelling is wrong. But what I'm suggesting is maybe we had the ability to ignore or defy physics or the laws of gravity in our past. This has either been lost to us or taken from us through restricted education. If i were not on my phone i would already putting the facts together and start a thread on this.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thanks to you as well, for your educated response - Little did I know that when I started this thread that it would turn into an anatomy lesson and make me wish I had paid better attention in school!

I still prefer to believe that it was partially a super human response that came from love and was spurred on by an innate desire to help someone else. A girl can dream no? lol

new topics

top topics

join