It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So,I have my daughters phone now,the fun begins

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
You have heard of the father her and his daughter and her Facebook rant,right?
He posts a vid on YouTube and shoots up her laptop.

Well,I went through a similar situation with my daughter and her iPhone.

But I did not shoot it up,I kept it..

So now I get these messages from boys,I play with them awhile,then I reveal myself to them
I tell them that I know who they are,and I'm keeping an eye on them.

I could go go further with it,but just letting them know that I know about them is enough.

Back in the day,a shotgun was the warning,but I won't go that far.

Am I out of line or being a protective carrying parent.

What are your thoughts.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

You are giving them your Uncle Buck Axe Collection routine?
Carry on. Boys will be boys, one might even end up being your son-in-law. Muahahahaha...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Good way to have your daughter distrust/despise you till she's out of college. She'll also probably act out more to rebel and make reckless decisions and do stupid things because her father's about as mature as her friends he's texting

But good way to lower yourself to their level haha

What happened to parents being the mature ones?
edit on 21-2-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I love it!!

Did the same with my 13 year old daughter. Kept her phone for a week. I was surprised on what the girls were talking about,actually. Didnt text back,but read the comments. I was even more surprised. NO boys calling.
Must be doing something right.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Well..

since she is 13 years old..

you should sit and talk with her about the proper use of said phone..

If you were willing to give her her own phone..

you were willing to accept what was gonna happen with said phone..

right??
edit on 21-2-2012 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Dear kdog1982,

It is your daughter so you have to decide what is right. You asked for comments and I shall give mine. I think we have to be careful to give our children some privacy or they forget how important it is. The man who shot the computer was responding to something that she had posted in a partially public forum. What if she had written the same thing in her diary, would it be right to read it and then punish her?

I don't know about you; but, all kids gripe about their parents. They used to do it in the school yard and now they do it via e-mail and on the phone. I worry that we are monitoring our kids too much and that as a consequence, they will not care when the government also monitors them. I guess the degree to which we should monitor our kids should be determined by the degree to which they are getting in trouble. My opinion and nothing else. Peace.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Am I out of line or being a protective carrying parent.

What are your thoughts.

It depends on how old your daughter is.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
Good way to have your daughter distrust/despise you till she's out of college. She'll also probably act out more to rebel and make reckless decisions and do stupid things because her father's about as mature as her friends he's texting

edit on 21-2-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

She might despise me,now,but she is only 13 years old and totally inappropriate for her age.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Your daughter should have some privacy. Her phone is private space. How old is she?

OK she is 13. Yea, maybe. You have had 13 years to bring her up. If you need to do this then, FAIL.

P

edit on 21-2-2012 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I feel like everyday we see parents behaving less and less mature. Where are kids going to get role models if not at home? Reality TV?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
13 is a bit young for total freedom but that Uncle Buck scene did spring to mind. A little discussion might be appropriate? She is young, finding herself and all that...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Since you ask.

You have done a creepy, cruel and disgusting thing. Your daughter will remember it for ever. You have probably earned her undying hatred.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Dont forget how much rediculous things drove you mad as a teenager- just keep perspective that what may not be a big deal to you, might be a big deal to her. You dont want her to get the reputation of having the 'crazy' dad.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
Your daughter should have some privacy. Her phone is private space. How old is she?

[color=dodgerblue]It's only her 'private space' if she is paying her own phone bill.

As long as dad and mom are paying the bill, it's fair game.

And an effective consequence because the cell phone is extremely important to a teenager.

edit on 21-2-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear kdog1982,

It is your daughter so you have to decide what is right. You asked for comments and I shall give mine. I th
ink we have to be careful to give our children some privacy or they forget how important it is. The man who shot the computer was responding to something that she had posted in a partially public forum. What if she had written the same thing in her diary, would it be right to read it and then punish her?

I don't know about you; but, all kids gripe about their parents. They used to do it in the school yard and now they do it via e-mail and on the phone. I worry that we are monitoring our kids too much and that as a consequence, they will not care when the government also monitors them. I guess the degree to which we should monitor our kids should be determined by the degree to which they are getting in trouble. My opinion and nothing else. Peace.

Thank you for your reply,a question.

I know all kids gripe about there parents and want to be experimental with sexuality.
But there is a line that can be crossed that is to far.
I was one that continually
Crossed that line,so I know what I'm dealing with.
When you see a pic of a boy in his underwear ,that is by far crossing the line.
We have giving her a little freedom,and this is where it ends.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Since you ask.

You have done a creepy, cruel and disgusting thing. Your daughter will remember it for ever. You have probably earned her undying hatred.

You know whose memory is just as good as hers? The 7th grade's.

When bizarre parenting things like this happen (old man texting 14 year old boys) everyone hears about it. Middle school is social hell and for this girl it just got way worse

link   

Wait for the payback,cause you have earned it.My daughter is going to be 13 next month and has no cell phone and no facebook account.I don't know about you guys but i'm old school parenting and the only way it has effected them is that they act their age.

link   

Originally posted by daryllyn

Originally posted by pheonix358

[color=dodgerblue]It's only her 'private space' if she is paying her own phone bill.

As long as dad and mom are paying the bill, it's fair game.

And an effective consequence because the cell phone is extremely important to a teenager.

edit on 21-2-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

Yes, and when you live under a dictators regime, you are bound by their laws. Sorry, privacy is not something to earn or purchase.

If mom and dad are paying for a phone bill they can take the phone away, but reading messages or texting people on the phone is a huge invasion of privacy and not "fair" at all.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by saroncan

Wait for the payback,cause you have earned it.My daughter is going to be 13 next month and has no cell phone and no facebook account.I don't know about you guys but i'm old school parenting and the only way it has effected them is that they act their age.

They act their age in front of you right?

Well, certainly they would never do anything differently when you're not around.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Nip it in the bud brother,nip it in the bud.

People saying you're doing the wrong thing are wrong.

It is your job to spy on and make sure she and her friends are behaving appropriate.

Trust me the alternative is much worse.

Being strict and setting rules and limits is a parents duty.

Parents who try to be their child's best friend and let them do what ever they want are the ones making the mistake.

Carry on

(within reason of course)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join