It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalist Quiz: What are your top ten plants going on noah's ark?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Aside from herbs, dandelions are jam-packed with
a variety of nutrients which most mammals, birds, reptiles
depend on.
Although for dry storage food, I would go with
kamut grain.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by tresspassin
reply to post by Aliquandro

Squash and pumpkins keep real good in a root cellar. And they grow great mass to feed my belly. I'm comin at it from what I can grow here in mt. It's cool mostly dry and a short growing season. I really don't know about some of the exotics you're mentioning. My thoughts are leaning more towards what I can store and reproduce after a long cold winter, and what I can start early when it's cold-hence peas and spinach. Avacado would be good if it would grow here, but it wont. My seed kit has at least thirty different seeds right now so thinking on ten is tough. I like your thread-- this is making me think!

You make a very good point. This list will definitely vary on your location. And its even more fun to add that variable. In your case I might still stick to one super-squash, but maybe add one yam AND one potato? The yam has huge amounts of nutrition, sugars and starch, both store exceptionally well. You have to evaluate your fruit carefully too. Apples and pears and certain melons may be all you can logically do.

I'm liking the idea of bamboo, since its nutrional, grows anywhere, mutates easily and is a great building source. Quinoa is also a good suggestion depending on where you live, its greens and its seeds are edible.
Breadfruit might also be the substitute for either corn or potatoes depending on your locale. This could be an easy excel spreadsheet project I'm guessing the U.N. would like to gander at.

Medicinal herbs. This is a great topic all in itself. But really what is the one super medicine plant? Depending on your location some say Aloe vera, others say ginseng. Someone said tumeric, yes! I think the local indigenous tribes of the world know of this plant. I wish they were all watching this thread right now, because I'd love to hear their opinion!! If you know someone you think knows this info please ask them for me, ask them for all of us.

Citrus makes alot of sense for warm climates, but so does papaya, noni, acai. But I like you thinking about growing cycles, that's exactly what will save you in your particular climate

Immune system boosting is a good way of thinking of it, but go further and think how to get that same antioxidant out of a leafy green or a berry or grain, or all of them?

This project is coming along nicely

The strategy to win this game is as multipurpose as you can get out of each and every organism.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Just a thought, lol, what would I do without my
morning Java
, gotta have coffee beans no matter what !

But seriously, one super plant that pilgrims would
traditionally plant for good health is the Elderberry bush.
No family was with out one, and the
elderberry bush was traditionally given as a gift to bless
new families with good health and longevity (hence the name
elderberry)
The tincture is proven to work better than Tamiflu.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
All, or most, of the plants/fruit/legumes listed so far would perish in no time if we're thinking of a boat like the ark.

And how many can actually propagate these things from seed?

Curious question, I guess it's more a theoretical question than a practical one. We'd be better off with seed AND live animals, in a real shtf situ.

Good points on legumes, ark or not. The ark was merely an analogy and a starting point. It's theoretical at first as we get general questions, then it gets practical as each person applies these ideas to their specific situation.

Seed propagation is key! If you cannot easily save the seed, or better yet, just leave it alone and it simply replants each year. Things like tomatoes dont cross pollinate, yet mutate easily enough and have seeds that replant themselves each season. People waste tons of money each year buying tomato plants but don't simply invest in the RIGHT tomato, and the correct growing procedure/conditions. Tomatoes are a plant kingdom success story, they are a good choice for many.

Another success story worth looking at merely based on how prolific, easy to grow and heavy yeilding, not to mention nutritious: Blackberry, Marionberry, Elderberry. Brambles may suck, but that's because they are successful. Figs in the tropics are also a success story, nutritious and have symbiotic wasp relationships.

If any of you are insanely curious about this I'd suggest watching the BBC Private Life of Plants (esp pts 1,3,6) as well as anything you can get by Bill Mollison, he has great wisdom about those symbiotic relationships between fungus/animals/plants/environment and how to influence them. Possibly useful info if you plan on seriously living off your locally grown food.

all great questions!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Only 10???

1.garlic
2. blueberries
3. corn
4. orange
5. spinach
6. tomato
7. green onion
8. lavender
9. hemp
10. squash

(I think!
)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by mainidh

Thank you. And Kratom can be used in place of poppies for medicinal purposes.

I've never had the opportunity to test the efficacy of kratom, but I have heard good things about it.

But as it is a tree, it is not a biannual crop, which poppy is it would be a lot harder to maintain a useful cache. With poppy you can also benefit medicinally from the seed made into a tea. Both good plants to have however.

All in all, good advice, and if the day comes, if we can only find what we know to be of use, we cannot be choosers for the plants we know offer us benefit and comfort and nutrition.

edit on 22-2-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
1.Hemp
2.Garlic
3.Pomegranites
4.Tomatoes
5.Rice
6.Corn
7.Potatoes
8.Beans
9.Bananas
10.Wheat

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ToneDeaf

I'm surprised that as ATS members no one has
chosen medicinal herbs

That would be my first choice.
After herbs, tomatoes since they are both fruit and vegetable.
Then I would go with plants that would boost your immune system.
Finally, pole beans for protein since they are so easy to
grow, requiring little space.

I've seen hemp and medicinal plants appear several time in this thread. I'm proud of my fellow ATSers.

But yes, acai would be a valuable addition to your list. They are FULL of nutrients...almost a miracle fruit.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
1. Beets, turnips
2. Cucumbers, fresh and pickled.
3. Cilantro
4. Chocolate mint
5. Cocoa bean
6. Vanilla bean
7. tomatoes
8. onions
9. peas and beans: green and snap, garbanzo bean, haricot-green beans, white northern, pinto,
10. Cantaloupe Watermelon
11. Zucchini and yellow squash
12. Rosemary

Oh sorry you said 10, too tough to isolate, hmmmm. So is this an Ark only gotta leave everything behind or a SHTF scenario that you could store several of and do a mix and match kinda of bartering with the hoodlums? They need greens cause got scurvy and need vitamin C, or is it needs starches to fill the belly? Or a mix of savory herbs cause their pot of whatever has no flavor? See what I mean cater to their needs might get you just the thing to make your existence better too.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join