It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Anybody Noticed Less Ammo on the Shelves and Increase in Prices?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

I'm no expert. My info comes from a friend who is. What the word i hear is that Ak's have been "farmed out" to countries all over the world who make little changes here or there depending on what country is manufacturing them. Some eastern european versions are of lesser quality because of lower manufacturing standards and slight design differences. The wasr for example comes with a ten round clip. It wont take a thirty round standard ak clip without either modifying all the clips or the weapon itself. Mine is a chinese,stamped mak 90. I have to slightly file any tapco clips I buy to get them to fit. I put a telescoping, folding stock on it.It took a little filing and cussing to get it to work. I have never shot an sks. They all feel clunky to me so I just wouldn't buy one.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tresspassin

You are right about the mags on the wasr. I just opened up my reciever with a few simple modifications and it will take the double stacks now. I have the same issue with the tapco mags. I was lucky to find an older one with all solid parts and no cheap mod.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I know we got a little of topic, but I appreciate everybody's input. I think I know what to ask my sugar mama for my birthday coming up now. Good talk guys, stars all around(no homo). I'm off to bed to dream about plentiful ammo and AK's.
edit on 2/21/1212 by 1MrMarc because: bad spelling

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tresspassin

Russian or chinese. Stamped or milled both have advantages ( you can run over a milled version with a truck, pick it up and keep on shooting, stamped are lighter). The wasr 10 is junk. By the way I like wolf (russian ammo) for the price. It's waterproof too. If I could only take one piece of hardware out of my gun cabinet in a bug out it would be my Ak. Not even a second thought about it.

WASR-10 is not junk, its inexpensive. There are things that you need to do to a WASR to accurize it. Mine shoots a softball grouping at 100Y which is also a heart/lung kill on thick skinned game animals as well. If you have difficulty keeping your weapon in your hands, then you definitely need a milled receiver as it may actually end up being ran over by a truck. WASR's take a little less abuse but they take more abuse than an AR/M4 weapon system will. If you're going to spend more than what you'd spend on a WASR for a 7.62 diameter bullet then there are better systems available, in lighter weights with greater accuracy in comparable pricing.

The action of the AK is extremely violent. They do not fire a round they clobber it out of the barrel. Because of the way that the gas piston is mounted to the barrel the system's accuracy is severely limited. That is why you cannot buy a match grade AK barrel, the closest is a heavy barrel which is intended for use on the RPK to allow longer sustained rates of fire in a suppressive weapon. The SKS improves on accuracy a little but you will need to modify it if you want larger magazine capacity or don't want to use stripper clips.

Wolf and TulAmmo are the same. Bear is arguably the same as them as well.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mretgis

Please don't be insulted by me calling your rifle "junk". It wasn't an insult aimed at you or your weapon. I am just answering a question with the info. I have. So to get back on topic... I buy a lot of shells at local gun shows. I just got 500 9mm shells (reloaded) for 79.99 . I buy bulk 7.62 x 39 @ 1000 rounds for $230.00. I also get to look at alot of hardware while i'm there and hear lots of jibba jabber. Love your guns and enjoy your liberty brothers!!! Don't let big sis drag us down!!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1MrMarc
reply to post by usmc0311

Good info. Thank you. What would be a "made in" country or brand to stay away from as far as AK's go?

I have been told to stay away from Bear or Wolf ammo. It's cheaper than something like American Eagle, but the issue is that it is dirty with metal shells instead of brass. Anyone tried this stuff?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I have shot both. It's fine for plinking around with. Dirty, but a responsible gun owner cleans everytime he/she shoots anyway. The only real problem is you can't reload steel cased ammo. I have been sticking with brass so that I can eventually reload.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tresspassin
reply to post by mretgis

Please don't be insulted by me calling your rifle "junk". It wasn't an insult aimed at you or your weapon. I am just answering a question with the info. I have. So to get back on topic... I buy a lot of shells at local gun shows. I just got 500 9mm shells (reloaded) for 79.99 . I buy bulk 7.62 x 39 @ 1000 rounds for $230.00. I also get to look at alot of hardware while i'm there and hear lots of jibba jabber. Love your guns and enjoy your liberty brothers!!! Don't let big sis drag us down!!

I didn't take it as an insult to me or my rifle, its a common misconception amongst some aficionados that they're poor quality. I have proved this point at the range before by slamming mine on the benchrest to try and bend the receiver and shooting withing the same measured groupings. I've also poured sand into the piston housing and ran 200 rounds in rapid fire with no issue. The only issue I have ever had has been smokin out the handguards (when I still had wooden ones). Also the WASR AK is not restricted to a 10 round magazine, that is a California thing. The SKS does need modification to run more than 10 rounds. Why pay more for a high end AK when an FAL can be had in the same price range with far superior stopping power and accuracy. There are some awesome custom shops making milled receiver systems but they are still so limited by that violent action. Watch the flex of the barrel in this video its a wonder it doesn't snap or warp with heat:

new topics

<< 1   >>

join