It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Short Guide To Meditation, Bar None

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
This managed to stabilize me during a period that I could simply describe as sheer terror.

Even a minor awakening can be a truly destabilizing existence, and after two days of barely being able to walk, and just sitting in bed hoping for sleep, I managed to get in front of the computer and remember this little meditation guide I had previously scorned.

Here it is, a little over 20 pages, presenting the TRUE basic principles behind meditation.

meditationexpert.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Nice sales pitch. Do you make any money on the books he sells at the end of the PDF ?

Things things annoy me, all huff and bluff and promises and then Buy My Book!!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
Nice sales pitch. Do you make any money on the books he sells at the end of the PDF ?

Things things annoy me, all huff and bluff and promises and then Buy My Book!!!!

Did you just scroll to the end, notice a mention of a book and conclude the entire document is a sales pitch? I found it quite informative, actually. Most pieces on meditation go on and and on about useless things and rarely ever detail what meditation actually is and what it does. This was pretty straight forward.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

Haha, that's pretty cynical!

Have only read a few pages in so far but it seems like good reading and like it has some good advice. Will save it and read the rest later hopefully so thanks for the link. Interesting to read it being from the advice of Confucius at the start too who I've not really read much about.
edit on 21-2-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Pretty testy response, and as others have pointed out, it really wasn't a sales pitch. My suggestion to you is go back and look at the material... REALLY look at it, and maybe try it out? I'm thinking you might really benefit.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by imherejusttoread

Did you just scroll to the end, notice a mention of a book and conclude the entire document is a sales pitch? I found it quite informative, actually. Most pieces on meditation go on and and on about useless things and rarely ever detail what meditation actually is and what it does. This was pretty straight forward.

Nope, I started to read it, and it appeared to me as one of those long winded web pages that exalts the benefits of some fantastic thing, but when you get to thr crux of it, wants you to pay.

Seriously, I did.

I saved the PDF but I doubt that there is any real benefit to it. Unless I buy the addendum books for $29, $47, and $97 et al, each..

What you call here meditation, I call Behavioural Cognitive Awareness.. You are mindful of your thoughts so as to catch them before them manifest in emotion and cause you anxiety.

I'm not paying for that.

You see, sometimes we have a fleeting negative thought, that can be interpreted by our subconscious as a real thought, which is then manifest in us as an emotion, or anxiety.

It may be a false concept, without basis and therefore illegitimate to us entirely, but we don't get to consider it, as it becomes an emotion before we can challenge it.

BCT (behavioral cognitive therapy) teaches us to be 100% mindful of our thoughts to catch those errant ones, that cause us anxiety.

Your meditation, for $97 a book, is nothing more than what is already known, thrown into a world of Buddha.

Shame on you.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scalded Frog
reply to post by mainidh

Pretty testy response, and as others have pointed out, it really wasn't a sales pitch. My suggestion to you is go back and look at the material... REALLY look at it, and maybe try it out? I'm thinking you might really benefit.

No need to buy the plant when I already know where to get the seed for free.

PS, I posted that response on his original thread, which he had deleted.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
No, I don't make any money on his books, and no, the method you describe for watching thoughts is incorrect in both method or goal.

Or if you don't like incorrect, then perhaps you prefer incomplete. However, it's really both.

As far as the little booklet on how to meditate, it really is on how to meditate, and it also describes some of the physical and mental changes that take place with true spiritual cultivation.

The book at the end is about changing one's destiny through merit, meditation, and a good method of approaching work and life in general, so it's really very different from the little booklet on meditation.

Hence, you can't say he's upselling you, since he didn't sell you anything in the first place, and the book he mentions at the end (which is $20 not $99) has a very different topic than just meditation itself.

REALLY, it's like this. He gives the information for free, plus hundreds of more pages on his site for free, and he also has some books for sale. But you can learn everything you need for free on the site.

But why make it about this guy and his practices when it's really about a very short, very useful little book.

P.S: I have to add this. The reason your method is incorrect is because the first real milestone in meditation is to be able to detach from thoughts and find their real source. But when you just watch thoughts periodically and say this is me, this isn't me, this is just another kind of discriminative thought. So you're adding another level of thoughts to your already existing thoughts. If you add coming and going to the coming and going, how can you see through to the source?

edit on 22-2-2012 by Fevrier because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

edit on 22-2-2012 by D1ss1dent because: Not important... Forget it.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
No, Dissident, please do state what you want to say.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
to the top guys< still relevant right now

top topics

join