It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Affirmative Action: Supreme Court will hear case at colleges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
www.latimes.com...

The Supreme Court cast doubt Tuesday on the future of affirmative action at the nation’s colleges and universities, agreeing to hear an appeal from a white student in Texas who seeks an end to "racial preferences" in college admissions.

Good for equality. We all need to be treated the same. I do not see affirmative action as a "racial preference" at all.

Take firefighting and the inclusion of X amount of female firefighters.

www.nypost.com...

A group of female New York firefighters is threatening to sue the FDNY, claiming the department doesn't just discriminate against minorities -- it continues to discriminate against women.

Yes, an older article but this is where I am going.

I want the best MAN or WOMAN for the job. Regardless of race or sex. It's about qualifications and what you bring to the table.

If I'm in a burning building, I want a 230 pound dude coming to get me.

Take nursing for example. Through my own experiences I prefer female nurses. I want as many men to go into nursing as possible if they choose too. If they don't stack up, does that mean they should still be handed X% of the nursing jobs?

Flame me for a stereotypical post. I just don't see it that way.

Or debate my stance.

Best qualified gets the job. Period.
edit on 21-2-2012 by UFO1414 because: Mods, please put into rant forum. Snowball effect.

edit on 21-2-2012 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I certainly won't flame your position. I think you're 100% right. I'd say that extends into a bit of everything too. Police work..Military....among a few other fields where I think people get in by false standards like gender or race or...these days...a number of "special" factors and probably never had any business anywhere near that line of work.

Colleges are even worse, in my view. I'm in a Community College and it really isn't a factor because people just don't come in such numbers to fill waiting lists...but I can sure see it at the higher levels I may decide to go into. People should either make the cut without ever even LISTING race or ethnic background in the testing material or too bad...find a lesser school that accepts 2nd best.

I hate to be cold on education...but above the level I'm at, it really is a matter of x number of slots with xxxx number of people wanting them. Merit and Ability should be the vast majority and ultimate deciding factor with maybe geography being a bit for those living close enough to have paid taxes into the community which supports the University.

Affirmative Action is racism flipped 180 degrees and rounded off to get all those sharp edges and nasty points off it.

edit on 21-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: Oh what a post for a typo. ugh.... lol

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Some jobs are definatly more suited for certain genders, I mean who want a female driving instructor!!! Only kidding lol but i wouldnt hire a lady to carry bricks up scafolding (unless she was on roids or is a shot putter) I also wouldnt think a guy would be best suited for working in a wedding dress store (maybe if overly camp).

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It is racism pure and simple....

Your denying entrance to the college with race as a deciding factor....

When my company is up finally up and running,
I will not be following the law on percentages of minorities because I will be using the blind method to hire...

all references to race will be removed...

name sex age ectra will be removed...

no voice... I am going to try and use IM'ing for the interviewing....

a pure meritocracy....

the colleges should move to it as well.... a sexless raceless admissions testing process....

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

That is one of the best posts I've seen in a long time! I certainly hope you have your business in an area where that won't get you crossed up with hiring laws, as crazy that it sounds.

If only more would do things that way, I think we'd all live in a better world in less time than people might believe.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

All the best to you Ripcontrol. May your business succeed with the most highly qualified personel.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I'm gonna tick some people off, but I think race and gender equality laws are silly. We are already granted unconditional equality under the constitution and legal recourse for those discriminated against contained therein.

By writing more laws we are only opening the door for government bureaucracy in which it is actually easier to inhibit personal rights.

Sadly, racism and sexism happens anyway and it is also sad that people actually have the right to discriminate....but people have that right through through private property laws and freedom of speech.

Sad but true.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
My lefty friends get mad when I tell them i'm a surplus white male in my 30's who is overqualified to flip burgers (per the inner city burger place), and under-qualified to work in office administration despite 5 years+ job experience (because I don't have a degree).

They think I'm out of touch. some laws make people more equal, it's a society divided on perceptions of equality which is the problem, not a legal one.

The cool kids who call the shots, will always call the shots as they see fit, not based upon what is fair.

I don't care what color, gender, or religion you are, the bill of rights is all I have to say. you want more special treatment? well frankly What's with imposed white guilt? I didn't do anything.

top topics

join