It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VA Senate Passes Adoption Discrimination Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

VA Senate Passes Adoption Discrimination Bill

www.nbc29.com

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Legislation allowing private adoption agencies to discriminate against gay prospective parents is on its way to Virginia's governor, who has said he will sign it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wdbj7.com

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Virginia is moving steadily back to the 1950s with it's latest bill...

Now that adoption agencies can chose not to adopt unwanted children...what will become of them? Where will they go?

I almost don't believe how such an inhumane decision can be made. What's to stop them from passing bills that discriminate against race and nationality? Not much apparently.

www.nbc29.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Oh man I have a feeling this will be a long thread. Gay adoption is still a rather contentious issue for many. I have mixed feelings on the subject. I completely understand that gay couples make wonderful parents, but at the same time I can't imagine how hard it would be to be orphaned, then adopted by a homosexual couple.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
There's a problem, I think, when you choose to adopt a child and pass down your "life style" to that child that isn't even yours to begin with. If you want to live as a homosexual, that's your choice. But there should be laws to keep kids out of it especially at such an early age when children are supposed to be looking up to their parents as role models. But homosexuality is an "alternate" life style choice. The obvious proof of this would be that man + woman = child. So no it's not "normal" for our species, but like in the animal kingdom, it happens. Like I said, I don't care what people do in their bedroom, but when it comes to kids, if God doesn't want you to have a kid based on your life style, maybe it's best kept that way.

This is a strange issue because there are more kids that actually need a good home than there are good homes that need more kids. So you have to ask the question if more harm is done than good placing these kids in the care of a gay couple? I don't have the answer to that question, but I do know that kids growing up with a single mother or father don't have a role model of the opposite sex to look up to. And that often has an impact on their life at some point. I think, at the end of the day, that's the real issue here. And while some kids don't have a choice in the matter, adoption agencies do.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Jesus had two dads and he turned out alright.

Really Virginia? There are many kids who need are in and out of foster homes with no one willing to take them in and Virginia is turning capable parents away. Go figure. What next a ban on inter-racial marriage?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAnswerTo1984

Perhaps children that are raised in single parent homes often seem to miss something growing up is not because one gender is missing but because it is dumped onto one person to do it all. Maybe it doesn't matter so much if dad or mom is not in the picture if there is someone to replace them..whether they are of the same gender or not.

BTW...No one taught me to like the opposite sex..I just did. My liking for the opposite sex was only accepted..Even if homosexuality was the norm and heterosexuality looked down upon...I may end up being maladjusted...but I am sure that I would still prefer women sexually.

Peace

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Jesus had two dads and he turned out alright.

I lost it. How have I never heard that before?

I agree it seems to me that despite it being a bit uncomfortable initially for older children, in the long run it's a hell of a lot better to have same sex parents than none.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Thanks.

I know of a few people who have been through the foster care system and it is not good. While there are many foster parents who take kids in temporarily with open arms there are far too many who take kids in for the money. A women I know had foster family who would not let the foster kids eat at the dinner table with their biological kids. They would have a gourmet meal at the dinner table, and gave the foster kinds PB&J and bologna sandwiches. I am quite sure a homosexual couple would infinitely better for a child than that situation.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by spav5
reply to post by TheAnswerTo1984

Perhaps children that are raised in single parent homes often seem to miss something growing up is not because one gender is missing but because it is dumped onto one person to do it all. Maybe it doesn't matter so much if dad or mom is not in the picture if there is someone to replace them..whether they are of the same gender or not.

BTW...No one taught me to like the opposite sex..I just did. My liking for the opposite sex was only accepted..Even if homosexuality was the norm and heterosexuality looked down upon...I may end up being maladjusted...but I am sure that I would still prefer women sexually.

Peace

I'm not sure I can agree with this. What do 2 women know about raising a man? What do 2 men know about raising a woman? Absolutely nothing. And while nobody taught you to like women, you probably weren't raised by a gay couple either.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Ahh my state never continues to disappoint me...but then again I shouldn't be too surprised, especially since most people here have a spiritual mindset from the 1700's.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Will be short lived if it is passed.

Would never survive a Supreme Court hearing.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
You know who Virginia should prevent from adopting? Smokers.

Smokers live a disgusting lifestyle full of unnatural behaviors that can sicken and wrongfully influence the little minds of our innocent children. Its obvious to me that God did not intend for people to suck poison smoke into their bodies...and its against the ALMIGHTY to force our little ones to do so too. Jesus please help all of those undeveloped babies from becoming Phillip Morris acolytes!

Come on Virginia! One down one to go!!!

(I believe that all qualified adults should get equal opportunities at adopting a child. Discrimination of this sort is absurd)
edit on 2/21/2012 by NuminousCosmos because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/21/2012 by NuminousCosmos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Proponents say the measure protects the religious rights of agencies that contract with the state to provide child placement services. Opponents say the state should not sanction discrimination.

The discrimination is state-sanctioned. So it is not entirely private.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NuminousCosmos

I hope your not serious about the smoking thing because that is rude. Smoking is an addiction and I'd like to see you try and quit. That's like saying all people who drink don't deserve to have children. Truly it is none of your concern if they don't smoke around their children.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
You should expect nothing less from a Governor who went to Pat Roberston's school.
edit on 21-2-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by KwisatzHaderach

First off-it's called Sarcasm.

Second-who are these people to determine that a gay couple can't adopt a child? I used the same BS reasoning that these people use to deny perfectly normal, perfectly healthy people the chance to raise children...children whom no one wanted in the first place.

You see, unlike smoking-being gay isn't a choice. Stupidity and ignorant fear cloud these discussions and prevent decent people from having normal lives and it prevents children from having a true home.

That's not right.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
My instinct says a child should be raised by a man and a woman, but then common sense kicks in.

I know many children need good homes, and lots of children are raised by one parent, two, and many more due to divorces and remarriage.

The way I see it is if my state doesn't get gay marriage blocked (I'm in WA and religious people could vote it out during elections), it could work to my daughters advantage.

If my husband left the picture, I would rather my daughter be raised by my best friend (a woman) and me in a two parent stable household, where two people actually care about her, than being a single mom and having to put her in daycare to be raised by people who don't care.

I am really not that romantic with my husband around my daughter. Only kissing and holding hands. I have no desire to be romantic with my friend, so I don't think my best friend helping me raise my daughter in a legally gay relationship would negatively impact her.

It's too bad that Virginia's politicians are distracting their people with this. Allowing gay adoptions could benefit society.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by NuminousCosmos

Just saying sarcasm is hard to see over the Internet; and I have no problem with gay people adopting, I'm Bi. Sorry if I sounded rude, it's just some people don't seem to see the line on what is in their right to judge, and when they force there beliefs on others it angers me.

new topics

top topics

join