It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Explosion in China

hisz.rsoe.hu

An explosion at a steel plant in northeastern China has killed at least 10 people and injured another 17, a company official has said, in the latest industrial accident to hit the world’s second largest economy. The blast happened late on Monday in a steel casting workshop owned by state-run Angang Heavy Machinery in the city of Anshan in Liaoning province, a spokesman for parent company Ansteel Group said."The rescue work just finished. The bodies of the three missing workers have been found and now the local work safety bureau is working on the cause of the accident,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk
edit on 21/2/12 by hellzdoms because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Is it me or in recent years we have been hearing more stories about constant accidents in countries like china and other that relate to work.Is it the safety structure that makes it all happen or is it just people who are forced to work without much skills. Although fugyres show that the amount has certainly decreased. Is it time that countries take more control over factories?

hisz.rsoe.hu

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I think China is only now starting to see the net result of having your nation driven by commercial success.... the exploitation of people is only one symptom. I would expect the investigation to be a whitewash, but underlying it will be the usual profit-driven purposeful disregard for safety, training, or proper working conditions....

... as the rest of the commercially industrialized world knows, safety is a waste of money; you can always replace workers with any of those desperate job-seekers.... who will probably work for less anyway.... win-win. [/sarcasm]

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Yeah I think it really shows after Apple shops that claim to be Apple but are not get stopped. Also a lot of companies are being charged for copyright. They are the real pirates not us. I love the way SOPA, ACTA and PIPA are the most important things because they protect us and the copyright but then they have the bravery of a 7 year old bully to ignore the mass production of fake products that use copyright of their companies.

I completely agree with your statement with the no safety. It’s been like that for ages, shame that we really can’t put a stop to this because businesses now have the power. Trade union is starting to sink slowly in such a way that you don’t even learn about it.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
These type of accidents are IMO, the definite result of a lack of workplace safety standards. Whether it be another coal mine accident, a steel plant explosion or workers being exposed to toxic chemicals while working in assembly lines, they are all the clear result of non-existent safety standards and/or lack of enforcement thereof.

I have always maintained that a global economy will not be a good thing without global regulation to accompany it. It took us over 100 yrs. here in America to realize and establish the necessary regulations to protect workers and the environment from total corporate manipulation and greed. Until such time as the workers of the world wake up and demand some kind of global regulatory authority, then the idea of a global economy is really noting more than a mad race to the bottom where corporations pit the standard of living in one nation against that of another. In that scenario, we all lose.

Thanks for the OP, S&F

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
My family has bought raw carbon from China for the last 20 years. And the one thing we have learned in multiple trips there over the years it's that life in China is very cheap.

No guardrails on mountain roads, female babies killed after birth, no worker safety laws, etc...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Did a search and it looks like Ansteel is an aussie mining company
You can gaurantee the safety in China is less than that in Aussie. Safety costs money and lack of safety costs lives. Lives are the cheaper option

Another thread on here was complaining that chinese workers are being outsourced for mining in Aussie over the locals. For the very same reason

Corperations are not good for people they only serve corperations. Until we stop pulling the teeth of the unions and removing employment protection and start to bring corperations under control you are going to see a lot more accidents and not just in places like China.

Bypassing safety and human rights increases profits. People without rights have no value. We are expendable.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by hellzdoms

Explosion in China

hisz.rsoe.hu

An explosion at a steel plant in northeastern China has killed at least 10 people and injured another 17, a company official has said, in the latest industrial accident to hit the world’s second largest economy. The blast happened late on Monday in a steel casting workshop owned by state-run Angang Heavy Machinery in the city of Anshan in Liaoning province, a spokesman for parent company Ansteel Group said."The rescue work just finished. The bodies of the three missing workers have been found and now the local work safety bureau is working on the cause of the accident,"

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk

From eyewitness accounts, I don't think the Red Chinese worry about worker safety. Things are done as cheaply as possible. They have over a billion people and most are expendable to their government. Didn't Mao slaughter about 40 million?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

Well it is if you look at the currency difference.I forgot the geographical term for it but it changes in value. For a dollar you could buy a lot more then you can over there. But I suppose it aint going to be cheap soon with the rise in population and average age increasing.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector

I'm not exacly sure if he did.Probably most have died anyway.
Especially young girls back in the day. Terrible thing to do,but it is the way you can survive there.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

I think you can see the lack of safety in the numbers provided in the facts.
Mining problems and now a explosion.
Hopefully they dont employ cheap labour to look after their nuclear power.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by colin42

Well thats the thing.They work cheaper and the companies love it.
Thats why the producer of Dyson products moved his factory out of England to China because of the increased rate of production and profit.
This is a unfair world.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by hellzdoms

The workers there are already starting to organize, China is fast becoming yesterday's boon, India is where the growth will be in manufacturing in the near future.

Poor China, they think they're in charge of what is happening.

As soon as the balance sheet doesn't make sense there will be lots of idle factories in China, and that day is fast approaching.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by hellzdoms
reply to post by AuranVector

I'm not exacly sure if he did.Probably most have died anyway.
Especially young girls back in the day. Terrible thing to do,but it is the way you can survive there.

Actually the death toll is much higher than the 40 million I referred to before. I had to look it up -- it's a confusing topic and all of the info is not in one place.

The era of Chairman Mao (Mao Zedong or Mao Tse-tung) was from 1949 - 1976. I did not see death estimates from the war to establish the People's Republic of China, yet millions, no doubt, died during the war with Anti-Communist Chinese forces that took up the years after WWII (1945) until the founding of the Republic (1949).

During "The Great Leap Forward" there was the "Great Chinese Famine" (1958 - 1961) during which an estimated 20 to 43 million Chinese died of starvation. (These estimates are from Chinese scholars -- and are just stunning.)

Then during the ten-year disasterous "Cultural Revolution (1966 -1976), another 30 million Chinese died, or more accurately, were killed. This 30 million figure is from the Chinese government.

From this, it's safe to say that under Chairman Mao's watch an estimated 50 million to 73 million died prematurely, either thru starvation or murder.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
reply to post by hellzdoms

The workers there are already starting to organize, China is fast becoming yesterday's boon, India is where the growth will be in manufacturing in the near future.

Poor China, they think they're in charge of what is happening.

As soon as the balance sheet doesn't make sense there will be lots of idle factories in China, and that day is fast approaching.

Excellent point, but I think the Chinese are well aware of that. They do not hesitate to use violence against their own people, it will be interesting to see how far organized labor goes in China. Of course, our corporations have no moral qualms about using slave labor.

China is building up its military in double time.
edit on 22-2-2012 by AuranVector because: (no reason given)

top topics

join