It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police license plate scanners filling massive tracking database of everyone

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Remember when these things started hitting the streets?

We were told they were to check for flagged plates such as in outstanding warrants or reported stolen.

Turns out the data is being used to build a massive database of where your car has been whether you're a person of interest or not:

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Police departments are keeping the data from millions of license plate scans that show when and where Connecticut drivers have been — a practice that is raising privacy concerns.

The ACLU is fighting the database:

David McGuire of the ACLU said they are more worried about others misusing the technology. Some auto repossession companies have already begun purchasing scanners to use in their businesses, he said. It could be used by divorce lawyers, politicians looking to dig up dirt on opponents and even tabloid journalists, he said.
link

Naturally the battle boils down to: "we use this info to get bad guys and if you arent doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear" versus you not wishing to have your every move tracked just for the sake of having your every move tracked.

It's a CT story but I guarantee this identical situation is going on wherever these scanners are out.

They've wasted no time pulling the "think of the children!" card:

"Suppose we found a pickup truck with a missing child alive inside, and we have four or five other missing children that this guy might have had something to do with," he said. "We could go back and do the research and see where the license plate readers might have seen this vehicle previously, and might get some good information."

edit on 21-2-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
S&F

I remember reading about this a couple years ago in Popular Mechanics... Distinctly remember being creeped out by the idea, and now here it is.

I would like to say I'm surprised people aren't outraged by it, but no surprise.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

For every piece of technology there is a remedy, five seconds after these plate scanners hit the market there were three products and methods to render them useless. The local police simply do not have the resources, or the need, to create a database for every person in their jurisdiction. Why the hell would the local PD want to know where I buy my gas or who does my dry cleaning?
Allowing such technology to be used by private enterprises would almost certainly be a violation of our civil rights and should be looked at accordingly. In the meantime stay away from the car wash since the reflective elements in your plate are target points.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Would you say that everything that comes out in popular mechanic's comes a reality sooner or later. OMG!! I don't want to get a lic now. I'll keep riding my bike. I guess when the stuff hits the fan. This is away to track everyone running. what next I wonder. Scary huh..

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
A stolen car is one thing .......you can replace that easy enough but your privacy when it is gone .....Baby it's gone for good and it is not coming back.

Excellent thread and S&F here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

i work for a police department...

if you think license plate scanners are bad, you would have a heart attack on the amount of information that we have on everyone..

**social security number
*all addresses you have ever lived in
*photo of your signature
*spuose information
*every info available on your vehicle including the weight, and mileage
*also a photo array of you, of every id you have ever had in your possession including school id's

luckily for you, the people incharge of these databases are under just as much watch as you

edit on 21-2-2012 by ooYODAoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I makes me think of the "Long gun" registration here in Canada which came into effect many years ago.
What they did was force everyone to register their rifles (Hunting guns) for lack of a better word here.

Well today it is almost gone from the books as I type this but I question is the information on every gun owner in Canada going to be erased just as this stupid law is?

I think we all know the answer to that one, once they got you they got you good.

For you folks not familiar with Canada, a lot and I mean a lot of people hunt here and they know what they are doing.

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 21-2-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I wish we had it here in the UK,my memory is so bad I can never remember where I've just come from and maybe this could help me make more sense of my life

Seriously,I've got nothing to hide so couldn't care less if someone is tracking me 24/7.In fact knowing how good our ANPR system is gives me a nice warm feeling inside.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I am very familiar with these scanners. They are widely in use by private companies for marketing purposes. In fact, it's my understanding they were largely developed by and for private use. I know of police agencies that use this technology and I can tell you it's quite unwieldy and often unreliable. Plates are misread, blurred, or missed all the time. However, I know of one police agency that has had it one year and it has saved two lives so far. They run maybe one search a week looking for a particular plate for a particular reason and it's really time consuming to find that one plate (you have to search a lot of partials in order to make sure you're catching the plate as it may have been misread or blurred.) Believe me, it's just plain too unweildy to use to "spy" on anybody. All it tells you is that a vehicle passed a certain point at a particular time. Red light cameras concern me a whole lot more than this stuff does.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imagewerx
I wish we had it here in the UK,my memory is so bad I can never remember where I've just come from and maybe this could help me make more sense of my life

Seriously,I've got nothing to hide so couldn't care less if someone is tracking me 24/7.In fact knowing how good our ANPR system is gives me a nice warm feeling inside.

Sarcasm in overdrive I pray that is what your post is.
No need to worry about where your car is parked just call "On Star" for directions and the outside temperature.

All is good as they are watching you to make sure you don't freeze to death or misplace your car.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

The first part is sarcasm,my short term memory is shot.I can't remember where I put a screwdriver five minutes ago but I can still remember things people said to me 20 years ago.
Even though I live in a very low crime rate area,I'm all for CCTV on every street as well as more use of the ANPR system,surely anyone that says this sort of thing invades their privacy must have something to hide?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Imagewerx

It's not a question of having something to hide.

As the OP states, this information can be used to screw you by stalkers, attorneys, employers, or anyone who just doesnt like you or thinks it'd be funny to mess with your life.

You dont ever have to have done anything wrong to get screwed by the system.

What's worse is that now the database has given the system all the circumstantial evidence it needs to paint you as whatever it needs to paint you as to come to the conclusion it wants and all your peers are simpletons who believe "well, he must be a bad guy or he wouldnt be in trouble."

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ooYODAoo

if you think license plate scanners are bad, you would have a heart attack on the amount of information that we have on everyone..

**social security number
*photo of your signature
*spuose information
*also a photo array of you, of every id you have ever had in your possession including school id's

So, the police have my social security number, my wife's name and know how much my car weighs?

And you think this is scary or surprising information?

It was just a few years ago in my state that they stopped printing your social security number on your license.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imagewerx
reply to post by Iwinder

The first part is sarcasm,my short term memory is shot.I can't remember where I put a screwdriver five minutes ago but I can still remember things people said to me 20 years ago.
Even though I live in a very low crime rate area,I'm all for CCTV on every street as well as more use of the ANPR system,surely anyone that says this sort of thing invades their privacy must have something to hide?

Sorry for not replying sooner but I forgot where my keyboard was :-)

I too have nothing to hide here and I think that speaks for 99.9% of our city here, I do and will always have a problem with this kind of surveillance going on without asking people first...
Canadians are fiercely independent and hate anything that infringes on our lives.

You can drive for hundreds of miles here without meeting another car and I am serious, my point is we look out for ourselves and don't need cameras at every moose crossing or every intersection......or roundabout for that matter too.

Now Canada is going to purchase a fleet of F35 stealth fighters to do what I ask????
Traffic control is the only logical answer. :-)

I figure they cannot put up enough cameras or mount them in the police cars because it would take more cameras than we have people here...

If they happen to accomplish that then we are truly screwed here just like you are now in the UK.

Thanks for the reply and Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelMarvel

**social security number
*photo of your signature
*spuose information

So, the police have my social security number, my wife's name and know how much my car weighs?

And you think this is scary or surprising information?

It was just a few years ago in my state that they stopped printing your social security number on your license.

well whats on the list, and more is what many "normal" people would consider "scary" seeing as how you are a member of this website, i figure this kind of stuff wouldnt surprise you, theres more information that an agency has on a person, even to the point where i can pin point your exact location within inches... but that probbaly wouldnt surprise you or startle you in anyway either

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Imagewerx

The difference between your thoughts on it and Americans who disagree with you are only slightly different. Residents of the UK are used to living in a nanny state. Americans hear something like this and lose their s# because we like to believe that we're totally free.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

theres more information that an agency has on a person, even to the point where i can pin point your exact location within inches...

Sorry, I don't believe that one.

Unless the agency has inserted a GPS unit up my butt that I don't know about.

I don't know how it is where you work but around here it seems like there are quite a few perps the police can't locate within 200 miles of their exact location.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
That is ridiculous, thats just as bad as papparazzi legally being able to invade peoples life publicly. They can already kill us if being a suspected terrorist without trial so whats next?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DelMarvel

theres more information that an agency has on a person, even to the point where i can pin point your exact location within inches...

Sorry, I don't believe that one.

Unless the agency has inserted a GPS unit up my butt that I don't know about.

I don't know how it is where you work but around here it seems like there are quite a few perps the police can't locate within 200 miles of their exact location.

it all depends on the agency itself, small town departments and some sheriffs dept, dont have the technology...

i work for a very big agency...

to put it simply, if you own a mobile cell phone, and or a laptop...i know where you are.

now i wont sit here and try to prove my point to some guy on a conspiracy website, take it as you will...i am a bit surprised at your disbelief of such technology, especially for someone who frequents this site.

i guess reality is stranger than fiction for some..

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
i live in the north of scotland were surrounded by cctv .number plate scanners at every traffic lights they can ping your mobile / cell phones & the chip in your bank card if you go close to a tower every citizen of the uk has 700 files kept on them by certain agencies big brother has been around for a lot longer than some people would believe are you really sure you dont have a rfid chip somewhere in you the answer might shock you .

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join