It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pacific Northwest megaquake might be comming up, are you ready?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
VANCOUVER, B.C. — Scientists are still unraveling last year’s giant Tohoku earthquake and tsunami in Japan, and some of what they’re finding doesn’t bode well for the Pacific Northwest.

Detailed analyses of the way the Earth warped along the Japanese coast suggest that shaking from a Cascadia megaquake could be stronger than expected along the coasts of Washington, Oregon and British Columbia, researchers reported Sunday at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

bostonherald.com...

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh talk about doom, I guess we are going to be ready in Washington, Oregon and British Columbia.

Japan's Tohoku was an undersea earthquake at an 9.0 causing a tsunami of 133ft, could you imagine the destruction in the pacific northwest if this happens?

edit on 21-2-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I'm on the Eastside and a few minutes ago thought I felt a shake. Had an oh crap moment and realized it was the dog chewing on his butt next to the couch. I'm getting a little earthquake jumpy and no, I'm not really ready. I need to get on it.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
i'm more worried about the aftermath event like rioting due to the amount of idiots who live in this area.
or fires, and the inability to put them out due to a rupturing of our water supplies, something unforseen.

I know the worst case scenario and i'd be prepared to gtfo of this area on foot or dirtbike if need be.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This is about the fifth "we're all going to die" earthquake thread for the day. Let's look at some facts.

Everyday, there are earthquakes all over the globe. Today there have been ten or more 3.0 - 6.0 earthquakes in Japan, China, the Bering Strait, Alaska, several areas in the Pacific and Atlantic and the Dominican Republic. Oh, and Missouri. Today was not unusual, it's nothing except typical.

There will be a big one someday on the pacific coast, and probably on the New Madrid fault but we are talking geologic time. Could be tomorrow, could be in 10,000 years. Highly unlikely to be tomorrow or even next month or even next year. There is ALWAYS pressure building somewhere and releasing somewhere. Scientists have to publish or perish, and they often speak at conferences. Of course they are going to be spouting doom and gloom - it's their job to fill seats at conferences and fill the pages of scientific journals.

Just because a scientist says "it's worse than we thought" or "sooner rather than later" or my favorite: "it's not if, but when" doesn't mean ANY SECOND NOW. It doesn't mean anything specific. The Pacific coast covers a lot of territorty. Nobody has figured out how to accurately predict dates and times and places. Until somebody gets six or seven right on the money in a row, there's no reason to attach any significance to any one who claims to be able to predict something. This is just another scientist trying to justify his existence. Let's don't get all nuts over this stuff. Prepare, but don't panic and don't read too much into every little thing.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Thats so funny because last summer when we had the quake here in Virginia later that day I was sitting on the bed and it started shaking and for a second I got worried then I saw the cat at the foot of the bed scratching his ear . Your post made me remember how silly I felt.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Edited
edit on 21-2-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cwg100

Doesn't matter if it's tomorrow or 10 years from now.
Don't panic.
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
That is all you can do,then just carrying on with your life and enjoy it.screw the little stuff that irrates you,it's not worth it.
Don't sweat the small stuff,look at the big picture.
And,then what happens,a big bus runs your ass over,before the big quake hits.
And what did you do but waste your time worrying about the big quake.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
i have noticed the quakes in the PNW happen right next to each other
you will have 2 with in a 30 miles and then a few hundred miles away another cluster of 2-3 quakes
it's happening in the PNW and the new madrid fault.

i was working in crescent city Ca the day of the japan tsunami and get got lucky we were out to sea.
but almost a year later the port is still a mess and fishing has not picked back up.

my point is oregon and washington tend to be quiet un like the san andreas fault that has a lot of activity
so there is less pressure on that fault line than the cascades witch is made up of volcanic rock and granite so it takes a lot more pressure to get that bad boy moving. so when it dose happen ( because it ) it will be devastating.

not sure how many people know but oregon structures are not built up to the same earthquake standard as cali or japan. im just glad in on the second floor of a 2 story.....

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Just watch the movie "volcano"..... Thats all the preparedness you need.

Remember to always assume its lava and you cant go wrong.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Have a plan.

That is all I can advise people on, and I'm sure has be touted many, many times on ATS. Try to have the best plan possible of what to do just in case TSHTF. Just like having a plan to get out of your house in case of a fire, etc.

Have a kit or "bug out bag" as some call it, stocked with things you'd need, especially if your plan has to simply getting to the tallest buildings to ride it out, because you could be stranded for quite a while.

Does it mean you should live in fear? Wellllll......I don't think that is healthy for anyone, but at the same time I do think it's a good idea to be aware of things (disasters) that can fall in any area you might live in, and try to have a plan for what to do "just in case".

I do realize that in some cases there might not be any warning, except for maybe seeing the ocean tide suddenly receed a LOT further out than it normally would, and then you're down to minutes, literally.

It's always a good idea to be prepared just in case, but keep in mind that yah, it might be 100 years from now. If it never happens during your life time, consider yourself very lucky, but don't think being prepared was a waste of time. It's not, especially if something bad DOES happen, then you were ready and it just might save your's or other's life.

top topics

join