It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Top 10% of income earners paid 71% of federal income tax

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I found a chart sourced from the IRS that shows how the top 10% of income earners paid 71% of federal income tax. This is pretty interesting because it would mean that all those calls that the rich should pay more taxes or that they dont pay enough taxes are wrong. The 10%ers seem to be paying plenty of taxes.

Thoughts?

The people saying they don't pay their share is right. Everyone should be paying the same percentage in taxes. Everyone that cries they pay too much just looks at amounts never percent of income.

No, everyone should pay the same real dollar amount, because we all get the exact same amount of government services, regardless of income. If a rich person calls 911 do they get a better fire truck? If anything, lower income people are higher consumers of government services.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LanceCorvette

and the reason that they did not pay 90% is??????

My Opinion:
(not that anyone cares)
anyone making more than $1,000,000 a year should give the remaining to the government.
if you cannot live on a mill a year, suks to be you.

that is why the 25% sales tax will never pass.
it forces EVERYONE to pay the same.

Illegal Aliens and the super rich.
and everyone in between.

It will never happen though, the IRS is really controlled by the FedReserve
the real people in power
edit on 3-3-2012 by Arrow22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LanceCorvette

In a word: Yes.

A "rich" person is likely to have his/her request for assistance met with a Quicker response because the tax base of the community in which he/she lives can afford MORE services, NEWER equipment, and BETTER equipment.

Whether those advantages and services are ever likely to be needed is not a major consideration

(which is one reason why poor neighborhoods have less of the best life-saving drugs and equipment than rich neighborhoods; even though it is in the poorer neighborhoods where most of the accidents and violence-induced traumas occur).

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Why should anyone has to pay taxes really? It's not a law. Just ask the IRS

The Government squanders tax money on their toys and research that we will never see or even find out about that could make our lives easier. Instead they prefer to go into others land, act like a "Good Samaritan", destroy the foundation and infrastructure, then write out contracts to their buddy's corporations...

Conflict of interest much???

The people need to make a stand to the IRS and ask for them to be annihilated and dismantled. There is no reason for this department, and it should of never been made, like the FRB...

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I found a chart sourced from the IRS that shows how the top 10% of income earners paid 71% of federal income tax. This is pretty interesting because it would mean that all those calls that the rich should pay more taxes or that they dont pay enough taxes are wrong. The 10%ers seem to be paying plenty of taxes.

Thoughts?

Did you see that the top 10% is 108K and up which is considered middle class in many of the larger cities... i.e. Washington DC, San Diego, LA, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami, etc. So... the middle class is involved into the mix here. Although these people make more than what another does, the living condition that they can afford due to cost of living is about the same as an area such as Sumter, SC @ 50-60K etc.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Obama doesn't get anything and neither do you. Do you want to increase tax receipts or lower them? Increasing taxes on the "rich" only serves to LOWER tax receipts. You may feel good because you stuck it to those rich bastards but you've cut off your nose to spite your face dumb#. If you parse the numbers the wealthiest 1 percent of the population earn 19 per­cent of the income but pay 37 percent of the income tax. The top 10 percent pay 68 percent of the tab. Meanwhile, the bottom 50 percent—those below the median income level—now earn 13 percent of the income but pay just 3 percent of the taxes. Since you obviously have no ability to reason you I'll explain it to you. The upper 1% pay almost 2x in taxes by PERCENTAGE than what they earn. The bottom 50% pay 1/4 of what they earn in taxes. The top 15 then pay 8 times more in % than what the lower 50% pay. You think that's fair? Obviously you believe in the Marxist slogan, "ch according to his ability, to each according to his needs. Of course logic doesn't appear to be your strong suit so you'll just blow by the facts and rant on about the rich and how they screw the little folk. The only one who screws the little folk is your government and that screwing has increased under Obama. Bush introduced the PATRIOT act and now Obama brings the NDAA which allows him or his minions to imprison US citizens without due process. You just don't get it. As bad as Bush was Obama is worse.

reply to post by jacklondonmiller

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Obama doesn't get anything and neither do you. Do you want to increase tax receipts or lower them? Increasing taxes on the "rich" only serves to LOWER tax receipts. You may feel good because you stuck it to those rich bastards but you've cut off your nose to spite your face dumb#. If you parse the numbers the wealthiest 1 percent of the population earn 19 per­cent of the income but pay 37 percent of the income tax. The top 10 percent pay 68 percent of the tab. Meanwhile, the bottom 50 percent—those below the median income level—now earn 13 percent of the income but pay just 3 percent of the taxes. Since you obviously have no ability to reason you I'll explain it to you. The upper 1% pay almost 2x in taxes by PERCENTAGE than what they earn. The bottom 50% pay 1/4 of what they earn in taxes. The top 15 then pay 8 times more in % than what the lower 50% pay. You think that's fair? Obviously you believe in the Marxist slogan, "ch according to his ability, to each according to his needs. Of course logic doesn't appear to be your strong suit so you'll just blow by the facts and rant on about the rich and how they screw the little folk. The only one who screws the little folk is your government and that screwing has increased under Obama. Bush introduced the PATRIOT act and now Obama brings the NDAA which allows him or his minions to imprison US citizens without due process. You just don't get it. As bad as Bush was Obama is worse.

reply to post by jacklondonmiller

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Here is an interesting study which I am sure many will find quite surprising -

www2.ucsc.edu...

A remarkable study (Norton & Ariely, 2010) reveals that Americans have no idea that the wealth distribution (defined for them in terms of "net worth") is as concentrated as it is. When shown three pie charts representing possible wealth distributions, 90% or more of the 5,522 respondents -- whatever their gender, age, income level, or party affiliation -- thought that the American wealth distribution most resembled one in which the top 20% has about 60% of the wealth. In fact, of course, the top 20% control about 85% of the wealth (refer back to Table 1 and Figure 1 in this document for a more detailed breakdown of the numbers).

Even more striking, they did not come close on the amount of wealth held by the bottom 40% of the population. It's a number I haven't even mentioned so far, and it's shocking: the lowest two quintiles hold just 0.3% of the wealth in the United States. Most people in the survey guessed the figure to be between 8% and 10%, and two dozen academic economists got it wrong too, by guessing about 2% -- seven times too high. Those surveyed did have it about right for what the 20% in the middle have; it's at the top and the bottom that they don't have any idea of what's going on.

This study also breaks down taxes among the classes.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by Laokin

The OPs Figure of 71% is the total amount of taxes paid, NOT the percentage of what they pay on what they earn.

It's really quite simple. If you don't do it this way, the finite amount of resources gets consolidated into the hands of the wealthy and the government, leaving the rest of the country broke, amongst a myriad of other scams living along side of the tax codes and exemptions for those with power money.

edit on 21-2-2012 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

That would mean that 90% pay only 29% of the tax burden. Since 50% don't pay federal taxes, that means 40%, actually pay. Which means a greater burden on the middle class.

So.
We could further tax the wealthy, the successful.
Or start taxing middle class more, who are already feeling a huge burden.
Or, start taxing those that make less than 30K a year.

Or. . . here's a wacky thought. A totally insane and crazy idea!

Have the government NOT SPEND SO MUCH!!!!

let's cut governments jobs then...oh yeah, 613,000 government jobs aleady have been cut...sorry
let's cut government subsidies for the oil companies totaling in the billions...no, no can't do that

ok, now i know...it's those damn poor people always wanting a handout...can't we somehow just have an america for the wealthy, instead of those lazy, uneducated, poor people making minimum wage at a part time job?

let's raise the cost of higher education for the poor..oh yeah, already done that
let's have the oil companies raise the cost of gas, so the poor travel less...oh yeah, already done that
let's raise the cost of food, so the fat poor people have less to eat...oh yeah, already done
let's raise the cost of health care on the poor, so they don't use those expensive doctors and hospitals...oh yeah already doing that
let's cut the poor people's wages and work them part time, to motivate them to get off their lazy butts...oh yeah, already done that too.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

But dont they own about that much of the wealth?? If not MORE?

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

Star for you! Focusing on taxes is a distraction from the fact that the wealth distribution in this country continues move in the direction of the top tier.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Lets shutdown the EPA.

It's too radical. We got along just fine in 1961. The EPA did not exist.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

But dont they own about that much of the wealth?? If not MORE?

Who cares how much wealth they own? Is it any of my Business? Where does this idea that we have to control other peoples lives and income come from?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
It isnt the income tax, but the corporations who do the dodgings. All those people who pay no taxes because they make minimum wage allow walmart and co. to rake in big profits, which should be taxed to allow for healthcare for example, for the people who made it possible.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Hear is a thought:

End the income tax and then everyone will quit crying who has more than anyone else people are greedy.

One group is jealous and greedy and envious of what others have so let's just end it.

Abolish the income tax.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The fed gov should only tax commerce that crosses state and federal borders.

All that military spending, all that debt created by military spending, medicaid which subsidizes illegal immigration, should all be paid for by the ICs and ICBs.

Yes it is time to get rid of income tax, because the middle class gets nothing from the fed gov for the taxes they pay.

By the way, the fire department is paid for by local taxes.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

The fed gov should only tax commerce that crosses state and federal borders.

All that military spending, all that debt created by military spending, medicaid which subsidizes illegal immigration, should all be paid for by the ICs and ICBs.

Yes it is time to get rid of income tax, because the middle class gets nothing from the fed gov for the taxes they pay.

By the way, the fire department is paid for by local taxes.

No matter how much and for how long we disagree, I never waver in my understanding that on a basic and fundamental level you and I are on the same side fighting the same fight. Then you make a post like this, and I smile wide satisfied that I knew all along our disagreements were merely arguments of policy, and the side we have chosen is just and good.

I am proud to know you brother, and call you my friend.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Why are the rich rich? It is not a tax issue. it is not a greed issue. it is a demand issue and the fallacy and ignorance of the poor and underclass.

What makes you rich? It is spending less than you make. How can the poor succeed and become richer? Simple spend less than you make. The poor in the US are rich by any other nations standards. We see even many of the poor that become rich either through sports ,lottery, or other windfall often lose all the make by making bad choices. The rich on the other hand make better financial choices.

The poor in our country often pay high prices for the frivolous necessities, How many people really "need" a cell phone. Yes they are convenient but does your life depend on it? If your life depends on it must it be an Iphone with internet access and face book? How about TV, do you really need digital 1080p high def cable with tevo. I was floored the other day when a salesperson asked which type we had and I replied neither. She said I must have one or the other and her associate just laughed and said we were old fashioned. We don" watch much tv and while we can afford most anything we want we do not spend on things we do not use.

Food is another large waster of income. Instead of wasting large amounts of money on prepackaged non nutritious crap why don't people plant a small garden? If you live in a big city and are poor get out! Yes your low paying dead end job can be replaced with as more modest income yet give you more capital to invest. Don't eat out. A family of five at mickey d's will cost about$30 us. We can eat home grown food with store bought meat for around $10.

Internet and video games are not necessities get rid of them.

I can drive most any car i want yet choose to drive a 10 yr old jeep. I bought it with cash I had SAVED.

I can go on and on with ways to spend less money. Spending less is than you make is how you become wealthy. It is not greedy to do so. it goes the same for business. Why stay in a location that taxes you to death when it is the financially correct thing to move where the labor and tax rate is cheaper.

As far as capital gains taxes go, why should I pay taxes on money again after I have taken the risks required to reinvest it in order to grow it. I made it, i invested it and i reaped the rewards, or as often as not the losses.

Our biggest problem is not the rich or the poor. It is the spending habits of the government. If those in .gov were to be as thrifty as many so called wealthy than we would be in the situation of spending outside the limits of our budgit. [by the way we have not had a budget in our country for three years now, no wonder it doesn't work]

Even my hobbies generate extra income. Making wooden objects from scrap wood brings in a good amount.

People and government just need to spend less than they make. I am actually a modest income family man. We make about 75k a year between my wife and myself. Our cars are paid for . Our home is paid for. our food is home grown. Our entertainment is watching our kids play sports. Yet we probably have more money in the bank and investments than most think. We are well off not from it being handed to us or a lucky job. We live on less than we make and invest the rest. And yes when we started I made less than 25k a yr. We have raised three kids. There are many out there making less go farther than we do and doing quite well.

aAmrerica needs to stop spending money!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The problem isn't that the elite don't pay taxes. The problem in our economy is that the jobs have been exported. When you buy someth9ing made completely in the USA every job includes wages and all wages pay taxes. The product is sold and the salesman pays taxes. That's compounding and this means the consumer pays a lot of taxes. All the parts makers have disappeared and the assembly factories are gone. These workers were taxpayers, they were working and not getting food-stamps or help from the government. The consumers dollars paid these taxes. There is no problem with these tax dollars except with their disappearance.

The middle class has somehow restructured the way they are paid to include exclusion of benefits from the taxable wage. This reduces what people pay. The Elite have always been there and we still had a lot of work and everything worked fine. Something has changed. We exported the jobs of the people who were not the sharpest stick in the woods and they are still here. This whole system is a mess. Keep those not so smart sticks working and they pay taxes. The fact is that everyone needs a job. The middle class cannot support this country, more of the low middle class are needed. Don't even think that the backbone of America is the middle class, it's the lower middle class and upper lower class that keep this country afloat. That's my opinion, I created jobs for a few people in my life and I saw that it was fine for them and fine for me. None of us got rich but we did pay taxes. Bring the factories back and put people working on farms instead of half million dollar machines. Employers need to care for their workers and workers need to respect the guy who gives him work so he can live. We don't need to be rich, we need to live and have fun as cheaply as possible. Maybe people will relearn how to have fun without buying things they don't need. Anyone who thinks a service based economy works on large scale is a fool. These people who said this would work should have their wealth stripped and their credentials taken away permanently. Am I too harsh? No, and I am serious. All this name blaming is ridiculous. We need to turn things around and severely fine anyone who exports jobs and tears down good factories to stem competition. I think these people have caused treason against America myself, homegrown terrorists.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
Why are the rich rich? It is not a tax issue. it is not a greed issue.

Generally speaking those with high income are productive while those without money are greedy. Greed implies a lack. So the myth that those with money have money because they are "greedy" is just that: a myth. A myth that most people actually believe...which is why most people dont actually become rich.

new topics

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46 >>

join