It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Top 10% of income earners paid 71% of federal income tax

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

The money may have been taken out by the employer to cover themselves...but at the end of the year you should have gotten it back.

The employer is required to withhold so much...when you are making over $2000 a week, they have to take out enough to cover as if you were going to make $2000 a week for an entire year.

But you are not taxed at that rate...just withheld at that rate. So you aren't being taxed more on that overtime...but they may withhold a larger amount...which will just increase your refund at the end of the year.

And yes, that part kind of sucks...but that's just the way it is.

I am only disagreeing on the part where you are saying you get taxed at a higher rate for overtime...the tax is the same regardless of how you make the money.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

Originally posted by milkyway12
reply to post by Xtrozero

My mother who owns a company makes about 154,000$ in gross income. She pays out nearly 68,000$ in taxes (State and Federal)

I dont know exactly how much more people want. She is paying around 50%+ of the her income to taxes. Though she lives comfortably , i think it is rather stupid to be charging her 50%+ of her income.

If these people get what they want, she will be paying more then that.....the "people" will decide how much she pays.

She should get a better accountant. Unless she likes paying taxes.
On a side note, We all pay taxes on everything we buy. Driver's license, car tax, a very long list so in the other posts where people say 49% dont pay taxes at all is wrong. Income tax makes up less than all the ther taxes. It is basically used to pay the interest we pay on the National debt. Our money is only as good as our ability to collect taxes.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

When I say "Uber-rich" I mean the ones that own this country and benefit from how it currently is run. Not the 2 - 10%, the 1 - .01%.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Are we even going into the offshore holdings and the corporate shill jobs they pull at tax time etc>\Or the goverment bail outs, outright grants, business loans to green swindlers and such.....
The rich have plenty of untaxed income .....
The wealth accrual of owning a real davivci or 2nd century marble bath or whatever, just keeps climbing....
Like the catholic church, the wealth becomes unstoppable after it reaches a certain point.
Either tax the rich more, or pay them less....
they havent taken too much in the way of pay decreases like the working man has.....
Why doesnt the plumber get a bonus of so much or the garbage man?
Why CEOs and execs? Are they any use when yer toilets stopped up?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Are we even going into the offshore holdings and the corporate shill jobs they pull at tax time etc>\Or the goverment bail outs, outright grants, business loans to green swindlers and such.....
The rich have plenty of untaxed income .....
The wealth accrual of owning a real davivci or 2nd century marble bath or whatever, just keeps climbing....
Like the catholic church, the wealth becomes unstoppable after it reaches a certain point.
Either tax the rich more, or pay them less....
they havent taken too much in the way of pay decreases like the working man has.....
Why doesnt the plumber get a bonus of so much or the garbage man?
Why CEOs and execs? Are they any use when yer toilets stopped up?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laokin

It's not, it's clearly misleading. They pay more money, because they make more, but they pay a smaller percentage out of the money they earn than the rest of us.

It just so happens that if you make more money a lower % ends up being a higher figure. This is how math works.

^^^this.
/thread
educate yourselves, people. they pay a smaller % compared to their worth.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

And neither do the "rich" earn their money either: They are born into it. They use their pre-existing wealth to block and obstruct the market.

True some are born into "Old Money" but many many earn it from nothing. Again you sound very jealous as well. Your slice of the pie (as much or as little as you want) is waiting if you get off your butt and earn it. Before you say anything like it impossible because of ....... well it's not if you are smart, innovative, industrious and prepared to put the hard yards in. Waiting "to win the lottery" is BS get out and find it.

If your choice is not to chase it and complain about others who do well you look like a "Spoiled Child"

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

My friend, I have not filed any tax return in more than 30 years. I have only once been approached - and this was by the state tax board - by tax collectors and when the tax board first approached me they made no mention of the fact that I had "failed" to file any tax returns for forever, and simply presented me with a bill. I did not dispute the bill, I challenged the notion that I was even liable. Of course, that didn't fly so well with them. After months and months of correspondence they finally just garnished my checks. They also "filed" on "my behalf" for the year in question. They, of course, never got any signature from me swearing under penalty of perjury that all of this was true and correct but they operated under that presumption just the same.

The thing is, my correspondence with this tax board began by my reply to their bill by asking one simple question, and that was it. I sent a letter asking the tax board what the subject of the tax was. In response I got a five page letter that began "Your assertions are the same assertions made by tax protestors....". I had never even heard of a "tax protestor" before this letter, and was stunned that they would answer my question by insisting it was an assertion. However, their five page letter was boiler plate letter filled with dozens and dozens of case law citations. So, I began reading the case law. This took time and while I was doing this the tax board made my employer garnish my wages. I quit.

At the same time I quit my employer was going through corporate changes which meant that the company I had once worked for no longer existed, and when my employer kept begging me to come back to work for him he also wanted me to sign a new Form W-4 which is the short name for what is actually The Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate. That five page letter filled with all that case law had given me enough information to realize that I was never ever required by any law - not even any act of legislation - to acquiesce to an employer and agree to allow them to act as fiat tax collectors "on my behalf".

I learned that the Request Provision in the tax code required employers to request a signature on Form W-4, and for that matter a separate "request provision" also requires an employer request a Social Security Number, but there is no act of legislation that authorizes any employer to refuse to hire someone for refusing to sign a Form W-4 nor any authorization to refuse hiring someone for refusing to submit a Social Security Number and in fact the Code of Federal Regulations tells employers precisely what to do in the event they cannot obtain a signature on Form W-4 and/or a Social Security Number. There is certainly no legal authorization to withhold payment of wages for refusal to acquiesce to these "request provisions".

At first, my former employer was outraged that I wouldn't sign any government forms in order to work for him. He relied on all sorts of ad hominems and other logical fallacies, demanding I explain to him why it was I thought I was so special and didn't have to pay taxes. At first I countered that I had no qualms about paying taxes, but felt I should only pay the taxes I owe. This outraged him further and in a smug self righteous way he accused me of playing games of semantics just to get out of a tax liability. This outraged me so I looked him straight in the eye and asked him if was presenting himself with the legal and lawful authority to assess my tax liability. That shut him up. After he answered "no", of course.

All the while he kept insisting I was misinterpreting the laws he admittedly had not read. Finally I showed him both the tax code and the CFR and showed him precisely what I was interpreting. He stared at the computer screen in silence for several minutes. Finally I asked him if he was now misinterpreting the law just like I was. He laughed and answered "yes". So, he went to the IRS site and found a page that allowed him to describe his problem with me and ask what to do. The IRS site took him to precisely the same sections of the tax code and of the CFR that I did. My employer was shocked.

My last few years I worked with that company I was employed in spite of the fact that I had not signed any Form W-4 nor supplied any Social Security Number. I was never contacted by any tax collector and perhaps someday down the road I will be, but if I am, I assure my friend I will not even concern myself with percentages and rates and how much this and how much that, I will instead demand to know what the subject of the tax is, and how it is I was made liable for the tax. Some call this crazy, from where I stand I call this a reasonable expectation of due process of law.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

I think it should simply be 20% of everyones income.

Poor? Rich? Middle Class? 20%.

Poor are poor, that is why they are called that. Kind of hard to pay 20% of almost nothing.... but ya flat tax of, lets say, from 1% (I think everyone should pay something) to 25% based only on gross income would be very fair.

But don't you recognize that 20% of a 7 dollar an hour wage and 20% of 1.5 million dollar
a year wage has a much different impact on the people paying the taxes?

I think it should count for something in this argument, the person making 1.5 million will not
starve if they are taxed $300,000, while a person $280 a week will likely have to change
dietary habits.

This is what makes this entire argument seem so crazy to me, it is hard for me to believe
that so many of you fail to see the degree of separation when the actual impact is assessed.
It may be how I'm wired, but the core of me feels such a blind eye is morally reprehensible
that so many otherwise good people would ignore the difference in the impact of both tax
situations.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall

Originally posted by Gab1159
There are many more techniques to make money that aren't considered as income...

Name some please.

This top 1% has 99% of the wealth? They should pay 99% of the taxes..

Derivatives? We're talking about the top rich people here, the elitists, insider bankers, not the usual "rich" guy, those who have the power to crash a country to make money out of it. You think the Rothschild and bankers alike pay their tax? Bribes? As I said, there are many technique that we don't know about, and some we know.

Here's a good list of what is taxable and non-taxable: www.irs.gov...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Not trying to be rude but the Internal Revenue Service is ran by the Federal Reserve Bank, therefore I would disregard it as sheer dishonesty on their part. The Fed is half of the real problem in this country, and is not going to release any information that they deem hazardous to their own power. In their case it is an obvious case of changing books to meet their own needs.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jlafleur02

Originally posted by MidnightTide

reply to post by Xtrozero

My mother who owns a company makes about 154,000$ in gross income. She pays out nearly 68,000$ in taxes (State and Federal)

I dont know exactly how much more people want. She is paying around 50%+ of the her income to taxes. Though she lives comfortably , i think it is rather stupid to be charging her 50%+ of her income.

If these people get what they want, she will be paying more then that.....the "people" will decide how much she pays.

She should get a better accountant. Unless she likes paying taxes.
On a side note, We all pay taxes on everything we buy. Driver's license, car tax, a very long list so in the other posts where people say 49% dont pay taxes at all is wrong. Income tax makes up less than all the ther taxes. It is basically used to pay the interest we pay on the National debt. Our money is only as good as our ability to collect taxes.

The people paying no federal income tax are the same people getting free living, food stamps, unemployment... etc.... so them getting taxed on bread doesn't mean theyre paying taxes. They're still paying nothing.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Athin

The people paying no federal income tax are the same people getting free living, food stamps, unemployment... etc.... so them getting taxed on bread doesn't mean theyre paying taxes. They're still paying nothing.

And you seem to forget the corporations that us the tax code to defer all tax liability down to

zero. But hey, focus on the food stamps and the downtrodden like all of you do, nasty ass people.
edit on 22-2-2012 by jacklondonmiller because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jacklondonmiller

And you seem to forget the corporations that us the tax code to defer all tax liability down to

zero. But hey, focus on the food stamps and the downtrodden like all of you do, nasty ass people.

I was responding to someone you moron. Learn how to use your brain before replying to my post and calling me a nasty ass. My goodness... some of the people on here are just so completely ignorant. You are seriously one insanely stupid person.... seriously....

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
No kidding as per the thread topic which means 10% of people are getting more taken from them than anyone else.''

Basic math says everything about this sentence is wrong. The thread actually proves they have less taken from them than anyone else. I would love to see you rewrite this post and include actual math.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatriotAct
reply to post by Skyfloating

LOL, nice fairy tale.

I am not even sure how anyone can post these fantasies without hammering themselves in the head for the effort it takes to make things so stupid.

Skyfloating's entire premise is this.

You make $10 and I make $10.
You pay 10% in taxes and I pay 5% in taxes.
That is not fair.
According to skyfloating though, if I make $100 and still only pay 5% it is suddenly not only fair, it is skewed the other way. Now the guy making $10 should have to pay more to keep up with my 5%.

Sky, please correct what I got wrong.

In case you cannot, try this.
Repeat to yourself over and over again
"The people with the most are giving too much and the people with nothing do not give enough."
Keep repeating it.
edit on 22-2-2012 by LErickson because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I was responding to someone you moron. Learn how to use your brain before replying to my post and calling me a nasty ass. My goodness... some of the people on here are just so completely ignorant. You are seriously one insanely stupid person.... seriously....

You decided to examine the downtrodden part of society and ignore the power brokers that

regularly leverage zero tax liability, I know exactly what that is indicative of...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

You decided to examine the downtrodden part of society and ignore the power brokers that

regularly leverage zero tax liability, I know exactly what that is indicative of...

Are you this much of a moron? Seriously? Go to the post you quoted me on... read WHAT I REPLIED TO...
Seriously man... there is no way someone can be this stupid. I mean really.... were you dropped on your head as a baby... then kicked down the steps? Try to use that thing between your ears.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Athin

Anyone can become angry – that is easy but to be angry with the right person at the right time and for the right purpose and in the right way – that is not within everyone’s power and that is not easy - Aristotle

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi
reply to post by Athin

Anyone can become angry – that is easy but to be angry with the right person at the right time and for the right purpose and in the right way – that is not within everyone’s power and that is not easy - Aristotle

It is at the right person, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join