It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Distant 'waterworld' is Confirmed

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
reply to post by Mister_Bit

They are measuring the spectral signatures in the atmospheres, the moon doesn't have an atmosphere. The signatures are a large percentage of the reflected light, water under the surface of the moon is measured in parts per billion.

But just laugh at the science, its a reflection of your understanding.

Its "just" 40 light years away. Makes me laugh how we can determine this from this huge distance but we cannot take decent photographs of our moon which is a stones throw in comparison.

Apples and oranges, or did you expect Gutenberg to also develop penicillin? All you have to do to get better pictures of the moon is to build a bigger lens assembly, and launch it into space.

edit on 22-2-2012 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)
I think it was said before somewhere in this thread, those instruments are calibrated to Earth based metals, gasses etc etc... who really knows what is out there and what false readings a wrongly calibrated sensor might give.

But go ahead and mock and I'll laugh at your blind faith in science.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

So tell us how oxygen, hydrogen, argon, nitrogen, or any base element changes depending on where it is? So like if you got gold in China its no good in England? LOL!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

So tell us how oxygen, hydrogen, argon, nitrogen, or any base element changes depending on where it is? So like if you got gold in China its no good in England? LOL!
Within a relatively small area like a planet I don't suppose they do change much but tens of thousands of light years away and next to a star that isn't the same as ours, who knows.

It's all an educated guess at best, until they're scooping it up with their own hands and analyzing it in labs I'll take it with a pinch of sodium chloride (which incidently comes in hundreds of variations)

Thanks

edit on 22-2-2012 by Mister_Bit because: mussed up mi spillen

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
They can't even tell for sure yet if there's water on our own moon but they tell us exactly how much water is on a planet 40 light years away, and even how warm it is.

Who are they kidding.
edit on 21-2-2012 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)
haha beat me to it

I always wondered how they can be so certain of these planets so mind boggling distant when they can't even work out planets in our our solar system.

It's all guess work and I would expect eventually it'll all be proven wrong.

I think we have excellent pictures and information about our moon, I'm not sure what you expect, moon bases maybe? Google "water on the moon", I did and got 29 million hits.

Our study of our solar system is going just fine, thank you very much.

You know, this kind of smells like fear to me.

First Earth is not flat. (Shock and horror)

Then the Sun does not go around the Earth, but the Earth goes around the Sun. (More shock and horror)

Then Darwin says we are just like other animals evolving like everyone else. (Total outrage and indignation).
By the way, most people still don't believe in evolution 150 years later, oh well.

Now we are discovering other Earth like planets outside the solar system and you guys go medieval again.

You say we have a "blind faith in science", so what do you believe in?

Do you believe in quantum mechanics which allows solid state transistors to be in you computer so you can say how wrong it is? Science is great that way, it doesn't have bias.

Exoplanets have water, Gliese 581c probably has liquid water. It's only a matter of time before we find one that has everything Earth has (except us). It may not have science, so you might happy there.

edit on 22-2-2012 by Nicolas Flamel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu
I wish I could care, but at this point I really don't. Not because it's not interesting to think about extraterrestrial planets, especially the habitable ones; but because we're not even close to verging on technology that can put us there. Maybe if the free energy movement was embraced and not continuously suppressed/bought out by old world order oil barons & other elites. Well, there are multiple new energy devices which could change the face of the planet, but I still don't think they're sufficient for intergalactic travel.

Once we can get past our own problems of bigotry & racism, divided nations, oppressive governments; a world manipulated by a select special interest. Perhaps when we can stop senselessly murdering each-other & using religion as an excuse to infringe on other peoples rights. When the military industrial complex is no longer allowed to initiate wars to fund its own secret programs, much of which include mass-brainwashing & psy-op tactics. When big pharma, Hollywood, big oil, and the private bankers don't have say over which rights you do or do not have.

you are 100% right

unfortunately space travel, and exploration is no longer in the minds of the masses,...that era is gone with the late 50's and 60's...

now its all about fashion, justin beiber, celebrities, sex, alcohol, clubbing and partying, more sex, complaining about jobs, etc...

the instinct of exploration, which is what got us here in the first place, that sense of wonder and excitement about the cosmos...

is now gone....

and sadly the new generation "ME" is not gonna get us there anytime soon...

contrary to popular belief....technology is contributing towards our DE evolution

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

haha Nice way to take a post out of context Einstein

I wont explain it if you can't work it out.

I think it's great that we're finding planets out there, I just don't believe than anyone can conclusively say with 100% accuracy what the planets look like, behave like, what their atmospheres are like etc etc... given that they are 100's of lifetimes distant when even now we're still making discoveries about our own planet and moon.

Science may not have bias but it is quite regularly found to be flawed or simply wrong.
edit on 22-2-2012 by Mister_Bit because: (no reason given)

Oops! Science wrong again, surely not!!
edit on 22-2-2012 by Mister_Bit because: Added a link

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I'm kind of sure you don't understand that whole neutrino experiment and the validity of the measurements. After all there has been no confirmation, and 'science' doesn't ascribe to measurements without verification but apparently you do. No wonder science is failing you.

Science is working for me just great, I have a roof over my head, heat and food conveniently affordable, transportation, communications, and beer and a great box that keeps it cold.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

edit on 22-2-2012 by Mister_Bit because: Self censorship

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I have to agree with some posters here. I am all for distant planets and cool things about them, but when they give exact measures of a planet how's far away and yet haven't decided what's caused global warming it makes me go "meh".

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by anthonygillespie2012

post by anthonygillespie2012
Time to travel 40 light years away to explore it...oh wait its pointless.

Of course your right , its pointless to even look if we can't get there

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join