Distant 'waterworld' is Confirmed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Astronomers have confirmed the discovery of what they term as a new Class of planet , otherwise known as GJ 1214b .
The planet is a Super Earth about 2.7 times the the size of Earth with temps estimated at around 200c with a thick, steamy atmosphere , It orbits a red-dwarf star
The Planet is located just 40 light-years from Earth .

GJ 1214b orbits close to its host star, as this artist's impression shows

The planet's high temperatures suggest exotic materials might exist there.
"GJ 1214b is like no planet we know of," said lead author Zachory Berta, from the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

"The high temperatures and pressures would form exotic materials like 'hot ice' or 'superfluid water', substances that are completely alien to our everyday experience," said Dr Berta.

Calculations of the planet's density also suggest that GJ 1214b has more water than Earth. This means the internal structure of this world would be very different to that of our own.
www.bbc.co.uk...

I love the thought of Hot Ice , wonder if that translates to snow too , I love snow but I've always found it too cold , maybe in this case snow would be too hot

edit on 21-2-2012 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Time to travel 40 light years away to explore it...oh wait its pointless.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
nibiru with it's gold infused atmosphere.

+18 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
They can't even tell for sure yet if there's water on our own moon but they tell us exactly how much water is on a planet 40 light years away, and even how warm it is.

Who are they kidding.
edit on 21-2-2012 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

They're not kidding anyone , its called spectral analysis , I guess they worked out the temperature by looking at the size of the planet and proximity to its star .
imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov...
www.centauri-dreams.org...

They found the spectrum of GJ 1214b to be featureless over a wide range of wavelengths, or colours. The atmospheric model most consistent with the Hubble data is a dense atmosphere of water vapour.
“The Hubble measurements really tip the balance in favour of a steamy atmosphere,” Berta said.
Since the planet’s mass and size are known, astronomers can calculate the density, of only about 2 grams per cubic centimetre. Water has a density of 1 gram per cubic centimetre, while Earth’s average density is 5.5 grams per cubic centimetre. This suggests that GJ 1214b has much more water than Earth does, and much less rock.
As a result, the internal structure of GJ 1214b would be extraordinarily different from that of our world.
www.spacetelescope.org...

edit on 21-2-2012 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Very cool...does it come with its own Costner?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This page seems to be more comprehensive. But what is a 'torch orbit'?

Temperatures and mass and diameter are said to be greater on that page, approaching the temperature I used to have the oven set at to melt down lead type to make ingots from. Yeah, some different kind of habitable zone in my book.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

But what is a 'torch orbit'?

I think its an orbit in close proximity to a parent star .....probably

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Of course they took the effects of gravitational lenses - which they can't even accurately detect yet - as well as other phase shifting and distorting effects - many of which may even remain to be discovered yet - into account when using their fancy spectrometers. I don't believe a single bit about what they claim about the material composition of planets dozens of light years away. I've been following these snippets for quite a while now, and I remember the planet of pure gold, the one made of Diamonds and a couple others. Sounds like Mickey Mouse Science to me, or rather like random anomalies in some highly theoretical analysis instruments.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Have you checked the link posted by Illustronic , it puts more flesh on the bones and may give you an insight into the methods they used

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I'm actually half way on 'your wagon', and I take nothing from the BBC as nothing more than pure journalistic fallacies, and I understand where real astronomers can be 'misquoted' or taken out of context to describe a super Jupiter-like planet possibly having a diamond (like) core, (carbon under extreme pressure), though why not a full fledged star?, but I do fall off that wagon around sharper curves sometimes and try to wrap my mind around the theories of extreme different states of elemental molecular structures, particularly isotopes.

Now that and a buck 20 gets me a cup of coffee at McDonalds.

I tend to find little functional use for theoretical physics, unless it will paint my house.
edit on 21-2-2012 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
reply to post by Illustronic

But what is a 'torch orbit'?

I think its an orbit in close proximity to a parent star .....probably

I though so specifically at first, and then the animation seemed to suggest a highly elliptical orbit, taking the hothead planet out to cooler regions in the orbit thus extending the ice to gas processes. The site also suggests this is a very dynamic stage of the planetary orbit and may be short lived. I gathered that by how they stated it was further out then is closer, to me that doesn't suggest a stable orbit. Enforcing that unstable orbit idea of mine is that they don't yet detect any more planets around that star, and our solar system was governed by the (soon to be verified) fact that Jupiter was the first planet formed around Sol, and the rest of the system became stabilized with that just right mass in the just right place.

I believe this planet will soon (in astronomical time frames) change dramatically, even though the star is said to be 6 billion years old, older than Sol.

All of this leads me to imagine we are seeing but a snapshot of time in an evolution of a solitary dead planet around a very insignificant star, that has always been 'dead'.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
If earth is expanding from the pacific and thats what i beleive to be happening,earthquakes volcanoes pole shifting its quite logical that somewhere in the future maybee 4 billion years away that earth its self could go the same way as oceans swallow up the continents and our atmosphear gets depleted. just a thought!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Does it seem strange that the resources of a planet are one of the first considerations. Let's hope we are the only ones wanting resources.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I wish I could care, but at this point I really don't. Not because it's not interesting to think about extraterrestrial planets, especially the habitable ones; but because we're not even close to verging on technology that can put us there. Maybe if the free energy movement was embraced and not continuously suppressed/bought out by old world order oil barons & other elites. Well, there are multiple new energy devices which could change the face of the planet, but I still don't think they're sufficient for intergalactic travel.

Once we can get past our own problems of bigotry & racism, divided nations, oppressive governments; a world manipulated by a select special interest. Perhaps when we can stop senselessly murdering each-other & using religion as an excuse to infringe on other peoples rights. When the military industrial complex is no longer allowed to initiate wars to fund its own secret programs, much of which include mass-brainwashing & psy-op tactics. When big pharma, Hollywood, big oil, and the private bankers don't have say over which rights you do or do not have.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I will remain skeptical. Not that I dont believe theyre headed in the right direction, just that they are gun ho quick to label any planet they think has water on it as almost confirmed to have water on it lol. They said this about Gilese 581g and a few others.

But im always hoping for the best that they find something

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

OKay...so we teleport a billion tons of barley and a million tons of hops....put a big faucet on it and we have Americas first out of solar system brewery. It might cost 100 trillion but it'd be worth it...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Great post OP!
I remember hearing the first unconfirmed reports of this. I started a thought experiment with my friends. Assuming there is solid material suspended in the water or in the "core" ..how would intelligent life build the architecture to make it to space. Assuming it had a proportionately larger gravity than earth.
I wonder about it wayy too much

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
They can't even tell for sure yet if there's water on our own moon

Actually yes "they" can.
Link A
Link B

edit on 21-2-2012 by Z32Driver because: post was off-topic

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

ahhh!
All these nifty schwifty cool new places getting discovered and confirmed are so awesome.

It is, of course, a little frustrating that we don't have the means to just Star Trek our way over in a few days or weeks to a naked eye, more direct look.

Sigh.

Where's all that UFO tech that's suppose to be laying around somewhere? Where's those peeps that always seem to pop up claiming they know how to build UFOs/craft capable of FTL?

eh. dreams.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

touche. haha

<<   2  3 >>

join

Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant
read more: Ora.TV's Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant