It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Should We Allow Iran to Have the Bomb?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by pastandpresent
Proxy? Isn't Iran a "proxy" in Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan? Yet I keep on hearing all this "good for Iran.." talk. They want to end the world. They killed their own on the streets. I hope that the CIA is in touch with the opposition movement the moment the IDF pulls the trigger. Regime change is coming.

In touch with the opposition? lololol don't make me laugh at your naivety . THEY are the opposition.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
"Why should we let Iran have the Bomb?" First, this isn't about nuclear weapons..it's about Iran having a nuclear program, period. Second, there is a peculiar assumption in your title - you seem to think that it is our right to choose who does or does not have nuclear capability - that we "allow" people to have it. When did we get that right? How would you feel if, say, China started telling us that we are not allowed a nuclear program and will sanctions and possible military action if we persisted? It's not our place, plain and simple. Unless you happen to be running for President of Iran, who has no real power anyway.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

IMHO we should already be bombing their facilities. Iran has no intention of stopping the nuclear weapons development. Israel has already stated they will launch an attack without us if necessary and that they will not let the matter rest. I believe that the US administration is delaying for one reason or another and trying to keep Israel on the table. I really do not think Obama is tough enough for this job and congress is not acting responsibly. But I do not believe this will last much longer. Just recently the administration commented that the war option is becoming increasingly likely. This is not a statement of anything new. It's simply an admission that they have been dragging their feet and will soon be forced to act.

I believe that all of this delaying is making everything worse. I believe war is a certainty. By delaying we're making Iran stronger. This allows Iran to prepare and further develop its programs for a war effort.

Israel launched an attack on a Iraq nuclear facility in the early 80's. Don't for a moment think they can't to Iran. If Iran responds, you can be sure that the US will be there along with its allies to crush them. It will probably happen through Hezbollah or Hamas, so don't be surprised if it becomes a justification for a broader war. But Iran could reach Israel with some of its missiles. There're lots of ways Iran might respond.

Russian cancelled its plans to sell S-300 surface-to-air missiles to Iran in 2010 or so. I think that this was a sign. They knew what was going to happen. From this, I don't think Russia will stop an attack. They will take their goodies and run as Iran is pummeled. I also think that war cannot be far away. Russia did not want to smear itself by acting so defiantly on the leading edges of a war that's soon to erupt.
edit on 21-2-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Papagrune
When Mahmoud Ahmadinejad stops saying they must kill all the Jews and Israel, then the world might think they have become a reasonable county. This would include shooting protesters. I would bet the mullahs and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad have a bomb shelter for themselves. They open the bottle and lets the Genie out. It may be something no one can stop.
edit on 21-2-2012 by Papagrune because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-2-2012 by Papagrune because: correction of spelling

If he wanted to kill jews,he would kill those 11000 that live free in Iran...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
A FAR better question:

Why do you believe it is America's place to make this decision for other nations?

And a follow up:
Why should America be allowed to have it?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Iran has made threats about wiping Isreal off the map

they are not a peaceful nation. they murder thisr own people for crying out loud

their nuke labs are in undergound bunkers. everybody knows they are trying to make weapons, and will be that much tougher to deal with when they do

they have seen what is going on around them, and know they only way to keep power is to join the club

so as their enemy, what is good for them is bad for us

I say do whatever it takes to prevent it

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by signal2noise

1/7 Cav 1 CD left in September for Desert Shield,S2 told us to expect 50% losses on initial contact(Helpless my butt) at that time we were looking at the 4th largest army on the planet.We were THAT good at conventional war.Iraq had absolutely horrible European trained leadership with Russian equipment both of which lead to their failure, they were not helpless.Most eastern troops couldn't hold a job at an american fast food place without loosing it.We feed on chaos in the field,make it up as we go and figure things out because we are highly capable of independent function.Iran and Sunni leaders regard that as a threat to Islam,they want you dead for freedom of thought.We preserve human life sometimes paying for it with our own.That is a joke to eastern armies and is openly regarded as a weakness.
They are NOT making fuel rods for reactors because you don't need that many centrifuges to do so.You only need that for weapons grade refinement.Doesn't anyone read anymore?
Now YOU say its cool for these Islamist Supremacists to arm themselves with a nuke.
Our forefathers in the 50s made a greedy bed ,I wasn't born yet and they really don't listen to me now.If you want to apologize with your people dying have at it.I will continue to read and listen to my fellow vets and say NO.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 7thcavtrooper

While I can respect both your position and and your service, I still debate whether or not we have the RIGHT to dictate to another country what they can and cannot do. This whole thing, to me, has been like the big kid with a stick telling other kids that they aren't allowed their own sticks. Do I believe it is necessarily right for Iran to have the capability to bomb another country back to the Stone Age? No. Do I believe it is our place to tell another country what to do, barring diplomatic discussions. NOT unless provoked, ie Iran openly attacking us. Put simply, I feel in certain circumstances, we should watch, observe, and act if needed.

Just my two cents. I'm not a political analyst, nor am I a talking head for CNN. Just a guy who feels what's sauce for the goose (private individuals) should be sauce for the gander (nation-states)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Well for one it's got something to do with power. Iran acquiring Nuclear Weapons would put all of our key interests in the area at risk. Shouldn't we protect our allies?

Second, Have you ever looked into WHY the US has such a HUGE stockpile? Because, we have all of our Nukes pointed at all of our and our allies' enemies 24/7. If anyone decides to strike us or one of them a cold war and quite possibly ground war will start.

The UN and the most powerful country in the UN being the USA because of where our money and bombs are, has the right to determine who has and who does not have the right to continue their nuclear programs. Iran was not and is still not being truthful or at least open about what they are doing with their Nuclear Program. We tell them to stop, they keep making more. It's like talking to a child. What gives them the right to disobey the UN and international treaties?

Also, just because Iran doesn't attack other nations, doesn't mean they are not a peaceful one. Look up their Human Rights, it's like they don't exist in that poor excuse for a country. That's why Iranians come to America to escape that horrible place!

edit on 21-2-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77

The UN and the most powerful country in the UN being the USA because of where our money and bombs are, has the right to determine who has and who does not have the right to continue their nuclear programs.

So what you are saying is that "might makes right"?

In your world view the US can decide who has access to a Nuclear Program....because we have more nuclear missles than anyone, and are crazy enough to use them?
edit on 21-2-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Who are we to allow or disallow anyone to do anything? One of the main reasons the rest of the world hates us is because we (America) are so arrogant to think that WE can tell other countries what to do.

*disclaimer... if you have never traveled outside of your hometown save your opinion on what the rest of the world thinks of us, because you are not qualified to give it. I have literally been around the world more than once, and the most common complaint about America is that we think that we are the world's police force. for anyone else that has actually been somewhere... I welcome your thoughts.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Another thing if Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was such a righteous guy, he would be using all of the foreign aid that he is receiving to stop building illegal nuclear programs and start actually helping his society. Maybe in time, we will begin to see some growth, maturity, and stability in the region and we can determine if the country is safe to build Nuclear reactors and bombs. Because no matter how you spin it. Nuclear Bombs are not safe in the hands of crazy religious dictators.
edit on 21-2-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

So if some authority figure tells you to stop doing something because it is illegal under law, do you continue to do it?! You sound like OWS.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77

So if some authority figure tells you to stop doing something because it is illegal under law, do you continue to do it?! You sound like OWS.

When you say "Law" do you refer to the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty? Because Iran is a signee of that treaty, and have met all obligations under that treaty.

Funny thing... the NNPT also obliges the USA to assist developing nations with energy production, and local nuclear programs.

So in this case it's the US whining about it own treaty, and refusing to fulfill legal obligations to the nation of Iran.

Seems to me that the "authority figures" are the one's ignoring the law.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
Iran, at least, signed the non-proliferation pact. Israel has nukes and has not. Who is the proven war-monger? Please recall that Iran is a sovereign and mostly peaceful nation. Who is anyone to say they can't?
edit on 21-2-2012 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

I think you have got this issue backwards. Iran DID sign the NPT thus it must abide by the NPT rules. Any country that signs this treaty and seems stable enough by vote at tthe UN...to purchase the Technology or outright Purchase the Construction of a Nuclear Energy Producing Plant.

Iran did not posses the technology to do this on it's own. Iran also does not posses the tech. to easily produce Nuclear Weapons Grade Uranium or Plutonium....thus Iran has build thousands upon thousands of centrifuges...an archaic method of enritching Uranium. There is no other reason for this quntity of centrifuges to exist so it is KNOWN FOR CERTAIN Iran intends to develop enough Fisile material to build an old style...............A-BOMB. Such a bomb would be large...too large to be placed on top a missle and more likely to put in TRUCK and driven toward a target......continued....Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Is that the best you've got? That one treaty? Iran has broken hundreds of Human Rights laws, for one.

It has not been truthful about their program. People know what they are planning with their Nuclear Program. The UN right now is telling them to stop this program and they are NOT complying with that law!

Here is a summary from Wikipedia, but I guess they are in on the conspiracy.

Iran is a party to the NPT but was found in non-compliance with its NPT safeguards agreement and the status of its nuclear program remains in dispute. In November 2003 IAEA Director General Mohamed ElBaradei reported that Iran had repeatedly and over an extended period failed to meet its safeguards obligations, including by failing to declare its uranium enrichment program. After about two years of EU3-led diplomatic efforts and Iran temporarily suspending its enrichment program, the IAEA Board of Governors, acting under Article XII.C of the IAEA Statute, found in a rare non-consensus decision with 12 abstentions that these failures constituted non-compliance with the IAEA safeguards agreement. This was reported to the UN Security Council in 2006, after which the Security Council passed a resolution demanding that Iran suspend its enrichment. Instead, Iran resumed its enrichment program. en.wikipedia.org...

So all of you people screaming that Iran didn't do anything wrong. You are all dead wrong!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Continued....

So...Iran signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and has broken just about all the treaties rules. Some of them being not allowing International Nuclear Inspectors in to check how this purchased Nuclear tech. is being used....Iran has built secret underground sites which the U.S. with it's High Tech. ability to locate any Radiation concentrated sites whether they be underground, underwater, in the air or space....and Iran has admited to the world about one of the secret Nuclear sites after the U.S. disclosed it's location although there are others. Iran is not allowed to build a Nuclear Bomb because of the NPT that IRAN SIGNED to be able to PURCHASE NUCLEAR TECH.....but even though Iran states it is not trying to build a BOMB....it BRAGS...to it's associative terrorist network...such as certain groups in Syria and other Countries that are selling T-Shirts with a Mushroom Cloud on them with some with wording that say's...THE MUSLIM BOMB...or other things.

Israel did not sign the NPT thus it can legally develop it's own Nuclear Program and even build Nuclear Bombs although it is well known that after attempts by multiple Arab countries to invade and irradicate Israel....Egypt, Syria....etc....that the United States provided the technical assistance as well as Wepons Grade Fuel from the U.S. OAK RIDGE National Nuclear Labs for a few small Nuclear Bombs as a way create a Deterent against Further Invasions....double standard? YES....but the U.S. was fighting the COLD WAR and the CCCP had very REAL plans as these plans were made public after the fall of the Soviet Union...to use Afghanistan as a stepping stone to take over the OIL FIELDS of the MIddle East as well as give the Soviets something they desired very much...a WARM WATER NAVAL BASE for both construction and deployment of Soviet forces. This plan was not very secret thus it caused the creation of the CARTER DOCTRINE...which stated that ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY COUNTRY TO INVADE AND CONTROL THE MIDDLE EASTERN OIL FIELDS AS WELL AS THE SHIPPING LANES INCLUDING THE STRAIT OF HORMUZ....would be considered a direct ATTACK UPON THE NATIONAL SECURITY OF THE UNITED STATES. Basically it ment....try to capture the Middle East Oil Fields...and ESPECIALLY SAUDI ARABIA...and we will go to war.

So there was ALOT going on when Israel was gifted a few Nuclear Weapons and some High Grade Nuclear Fuel...but the Israelis had alot of people from many parts of the world coming in because of their Jewish faith...including many AMERICANS some who went to MIT where a 1st year student could build a THERMONUCLEAR WEAPON in their head. IRAN is still trying for a 1945 era A-BOMB....this is just how great the disparity is as far as tech. Plus a weapon especially Nuclear...without a delivery system...besides a truck...although a truck NUKE could cause ALOT OF DAMAGE....is not an issue as far as being a deterent for a SUPER POWER such as the U.S. to be detered in any way.
The U.S. has turned a corner and is deploying...NOT DEVELOPING...BUT DEPLOYING....all AEGIS CLASS CRUISERS have been equiped with the converted SM-3 Missles that were once Anti-Aircraft to now being a true Anti-Ballistic Missles...they can shoot down ICBM's, Cruise Missles or any Plane...this was done not to long ao as a new Solid Fuel that burns with more thrust and burns longer in duration...plus the advent of integrated real time Command and Control with a few SUPER COMPUTERS...and you get the largest ABM FORCE IN THE WORLD both on land and sea. The REAL GEM and huge breakthrough is the FREE ELECTRON LASER which unlike other Lasers is not effected by atmosphere and Discover Magazine is quoted as writing that a NUCLEAR VERSION OF THE FEL...IE...FREE ELECTRON LASER...can burn a hole through 1000ft os SOLID STEEL IN SECONDS...that is not a misprint...all U.S. Carriers as well as AEGIS Class cruisers will be fitted with an Nuclear Powered FEL. There is currently two land based FEL...one in Alaska...one in Canada...and an unkown number at sea. SO...SHOULD WE ALLOW IRAN TO HAVE THE BOMB? NO WAY!

Iran would either try to sell it to Islamic Jihad or Hamas...even a Dirty Bomb...a small Explosive release of a lot of radioactive material...or if a certain country was STUPID ENOUGH to sell Iran plans and tech. for a NUKE that could be put on a MIssle...Iran would threaten everyone...as is their nature. GOOD NEWS...Irans current Leadership and Goverment has only a 12 to 18 month lifespan before Pro-Democracy Movements...which are comprised of 90% of IRANS population will bring down their own OLD RELIGIOUS GUARD.

Iran has the Highest percentage of young people to OLD....a REDICULOUS DIFFERENCE...60% of Irans 73 Million people are UNDER THE AGE OF 30 YEARS OLD!!!! Now ..do you think this young Twitter, Computer savy generation wants to go back to the stoneage?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

why shouldnt they we have them its all an act anyway

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by WALDOP

So the "Supreme" leader is the opposition? Thanks for clearing that up. Here all along I thought the opposition was the brave souls that stood up to a hard lined dictator and getting slaughtered for wanting freedom. I had no idea the current regime was that righteous. I guess I should just watch some Farsi news to get the real facts..

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Every one is posting "the real question is?" lol. Actually the real question is who sold them the plans to make nuke plants? Anybody heard of Halliburton yeah one of it subsidiary companies did

yeah that's right an American corporation who got paid to help American soldiers in both wars afghan and Iraq sold them the plans. Also guess who used to run that company? That's right Dick Cheney our former vice president under bush. If this isnt the most damning evidence of the military industrial complex and there hand in creating wars for profit i do not know what is?

Ok this is just a guess but America is hurting right? Well what if we supplied arms for world war 3 once Iran started getting jumpy. The lines are already drawn The middle east is about to break out into full scale war. Egypt's government is over thrown and now pro Muslim, Iraq is a shell of its former self, Pakistan housed bin laden '" lol. pretty soon there will be some holy war attacks which will start in England, America, China and Russia and i don't even need to mention who the Muslims countries will attack first we all know who! African Muslims will pick up arms forcing troops into Africa.

At first china and Russia will seem to go against the American government but once they don't get into the fight Muslims extremist will attack them forcing them to side with America. Then the real rape begins as Muslim forces are literally smashed and their land is pillaged for minerals for the Chinese the oil to the Americans and both will split the profit with the Russians and England while America supply the guns and ammo to the enemy which is old equipment from china and Russia as to not raise eyebrows as they used to be allies.

Or maybe i have an over active imagination lol but hey it sounds good on paper
edit on 21-2-2012 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join