It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you tired of 'M' TV yet?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I know who morrissey is...I think hes horrible...downright crap, I live in California and they play him on the radio in the bay area quite a bit. Thats just my opinion though. I also know who faithless is, Courtney love's brother isnt he?...not to great either but yeah...

Beauty, art, good music, etc is in the eyes (ears) of the beholder. MTV does still play videos, but only during the whee hours after midnight. Sad....I hate MTV anyways, I wont miss it.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Heh, I long for the days of Headbanger's Ball and 120 minutes. Ok they had AMP going on at one point, but like the HB/120 it too, was late at night. I lost interest when they took off HB and added the Real world. I caught AMP on accident one night and was hooked until it too vanished. At this point in time, thank the gods for p2p!

[edit on 21-9-2004 by Crysstaafur]

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crysstaafur
Heh, I long for the days of Headbanger's Ball and 120 minutes.

The thing with MTV is that they never truely represented MUSIC in the first place. Music that they play now is the popular stuff, just like it was back when MTV started...nothing has changed really. The only thing that makes people disgusted with them is when they don't play the music YOU like. I have personally never cared for Rock music all that much, and in the 80's and 90's its about all they played along with the plethora of Popular music. In my opinion, MTV is still doing the same thing they always have...catering to whatever market will make them the most money.

Which is worse...listening to Van Halen or Motley Crue talk about life, or listening to Brittney Spears or 50 Cent talk about life? I really can't tell the difference...I'd rather not listen to either group as I personally think they have equally invaluable thoughts!

MTV has never been "about the music." Their soul purpose is to promote what is "cool" and take advantage of a growing youth market...this goes for their entire existance.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Their purpose was to advertise to teenagers, their primary target, by promoting celebrities, reality TV, and anything but music.

Exec's realized this and created MTV2, thats basically music all day every day. MTV is for teenagers to either relate themselves to something or to get away from the world they live in it seems.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I'm tired of TV in general. Don't own a TV, don't really want to in the future, except for for gaming, movies and cartoons I suppose, but there not much you can't do with computers these days. When I left it was crap, and the last time I checked, it was full of even more crap. Turn your head away from the screen, it will tell you nothing at all... Ahh nuts... looks like I've just adopted a different screen all together, the computer... Sigh, at least I can block most ads this way though.

deaf fences hit

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
deaf fences hit...I agree. We have got rid of most of our channels so that we have only the one's we like to watch like the Science Channel, Discovery, National Geographic, News channels, Comedy Central, etc. Television just doesn't interest me like it used to and the only form of "pointless" entertainment that love to watch is Comedy Central. Since the onslaught of "Reality TV" I have lost most of my interest like yourself!

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
deaf fences hit...I agree. We have got rid of most of our channels so that we have only the one's we like to watch like the Science Channel, Discovery, National Geographic, News channels, Comedy Central, etc. Television just doesn't interest me like it used to and the only form of "pointless" entertainment that love to watch is Comedy Central. Since the onslaught of "Reality TV" I have lost most of my interest like yourself!

Oh don't get me started on "Reality TV"... *shudder* A show that's really bugging me is the Idol thing. Mostly because I am a musician myself. It is the total opitimy of today's corporate music industry at its finest low. Anything that highlights selling records above everything else, is in my opinion, the wrong way to go about music. There's way more to it all than just a ten second audition. I mean sure it's somewhat important for lively hood and what not, but there's a lot of talent going to waste as this machine constantly breaks the hopes and dreams of its contestants. I know there are a lot of people who love the shows, but I just can't take it. Gah! I'm out.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
deaf fences hit...just out of curiosity, and a little off topic, what instrument do you play and what style of music? I like to know who the musicians are around here because I am one as well....you can u2u me with your answer if you would like.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
not quite a professional, but also a musician...

anyways, when you say quote:

"until now, several hundred of you have been living a dull life devoid of wonderful masterpieces and artists only because the America Mainstream Media have been sensoring our songs and making loads of cash off poorly written, poorly acted, and poorly chosen genre's of music."

.... i think you're preaching to the choir. i think most music listeners have realized this already. im not flaming, but i bet the amount of people who heed MTV here on ATS is minimal. Sure, i may be making a huge assumption myself... maybe a poll is in need? i think music, seeing that it is an art - is in the eye/ear of the beholder. like someone said before me there is 'music' out there that would make you question what music is. I remember I bought Radiohead's KID A album when it first came out completely based on reviews i had read. After my first listen, I was disgusted... i couldnt believe the album was hailed with such vigor. It collected dust for a year until i gave it a second chance, and oddly i loved it; funny how your ear warms up to difference. with the internet these days, its pretty easy to find other than MTV genre's. I really liked that first song by Chromeo. All bleeped out and edgy. If you liked it, you should check out prefuse73. Not really famous, but is widely known outside of MTV and the likes for a similar digital cut up sound.. Anyways, thanks for sharing the videos. forgot my point....

ps. on the same site, if you find kid koala's basin street blues video.. almost brings tears to my eyes. if only my funeral could be that grand.

[edit on 6-10-2004 by lost]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman

Originally posted by Crysstaafur
Heh, I long for the days of Headbanger's Ball and 120 minutes.

The thing with MTV is that they never truely represented MUSIC in the first place. Music that they play now is the popular stuff, just like it was back when MTV started...nothing has changed really. The only thing that makes people disgusted with them is when they don't play the music YOU like. I have personally never cared for Rock music all that much, and in the 80's and 90's its about all they played along with the plethora of Popular music. In my opinion, MTV is still doing the same thing they always have...catering to whatever market will make them the most money.

Which is worse...listening to Van Halen or Motley Crue talk about life, or listening to Brittney Spears or 50 Cent talk about life? I really can't tell the difference...I'd rather not listen to either group as I personally think they have equally invaluable thoughts!

MTV has never been "about the music." Their soul purpose is to promote what is "cool" and take advantage of a growing youth market...this goes for their entire existance.

While I `ll agree that MTV has always care about the youth market, and I agree I hate it that they don`t play what I like, I still think that music quality in general has went down.

I don`t have a universal style that I play, I think all genres have appealing traits. My problem is the quality of the music, and that record companies don`t give the average looking person with the exceptional talent a chance to make a career out of his/her hard work.

I know that my perspective on talent is one of many, but I believe that you can tell when a person has worked hard and has a gift. There is very little enthusiasm and work ethic in most artists, yet they win awards for sub-par compositions. The music industry markets sex and decadent behavior.

If you are not a rapper or a pretty popstar with a supermodel body you usually don`t get the record deal or the recognition you deserve. The grammys have became a joke because of this. While I`ll agree that hearing Van Halen talk about life is not very appealing, they do have one thing that redeems them somewhat....their instrurment skill.

Eddie Van Halen is considered as one of the greatest guitar players of our era, it was not the voice that wowed the crowd. Today we have two groups: We have the Musicians, the true blue ambassadors of music(guys like you and me), then we have the entertainers people who use skin and studio created voices to wow their fans. The people that take their fame and fans for granted. Like Elton John said in reference to Madonna that making a person pay 74 pounds to see a person Lip Synch is a travesty.

I would rather see something truthful and real, then someone faking it. In short, artistry in the music biz is almost null, and sex is in. Sad times are ahead for the real talents. I respect Jazz a lot, because even as it is evolving the quality is still there. I play guitar and piano if you wanted to know. I hope that I can learn more.

As for the MTV situation, Jazzman is right, they never cared about the music, it was just another market machine. In the business world there are no morals or ideals when you are selling a product. Back then, people wanted a channel devoted to music, the answer..MTV. Most people want reality shows and programs that involve their peers. It is because of this that MTV has changed; they are changing for their main audience`s wishes.

[edit on 9/27/04 by Philosopher]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I was gonna bring up MTV but not about the music.Well let me get the music part out the way first.I have no clue what happened to MTV,it just sucks now.No more beavis and butthead,damn.All the videos are the same now,they have no creativity.Videos looked more realistic back in the day for some reason and now they just look fake to me.I can't really explain it but i know most of you feel the same.Mainstream media like MTV fear underground musicians because of one simple fact....they speak the truth.They can't have them in the spotlight or people will start noticing the things they are talking about.Probably what happened to Pac.Mos Def and Talib Kwali are really talented and they get no burn on Mtv due to the fact that they spit the truth and bring things to light.One of my friends is a underground rapper and he brought up the illuminati and some other things related to them in one of his songs and i doubt he will ever be on Mtv due to that simple fact.He's real good by the way.

Now on to my other frustration....Mtv and voting.It's getting so ridiculous that they are using celebrities to grab votes.Celebrities are just a bunch of puppets.For example have you seen puff daddy with his vote or die t-shirt running around?.What is that supposed to mean?,vote or die like those are our only choices in life.It's like saying vote or be killed.People don't understand that voting won't do anything.Whatever the gov't wants is going to happen unless people unite and stand up to them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join