It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS: Nationwide delay of tax refunds due to computer problems

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I have friends that have been effected by this and I've been following it for a few weeks now. When I first started reading about it the IRS was claiming that only those that filed electronically Jan. 17-25 and chose direct deposit for their refund were effected. (orginal story)

Now the story has changed.

The IRS has experienced a computer problem causing a nationwide delay with tax refunds being released. Most of the effected refunds were filed between February 2 and February 7, and were expected to be processed and released by the IRS by Friday February 17th.

As a result of IRS computer problems, these refunds were not processed by the IRS under the normal time schedule.
source

In addition to the delays, the "Where's My Refund" feature on irs.gov is not working properly for some.

The IRS has indicated that their "Where's My Refund" service may not correctly report the status of these taxpayers refunds at this time. For many of the returns filed during this period, the IRS "Where My Refund" service is incorrectly reporting that the IRs has no information at all. The IRS has indicated that this problem is temporary and that they are working to resolve this nationwide problem.
source

When I first started following this all the IRS releases about it emphasized that historically refunds can take up to 21 days. Looking at the dates of when the effected returns were filed, it looks like the 21 days is just about up. Add to that tax payers and preparers that are calling the IRS wanting statue updates are getting no where.

From a tax preparers blog:

Taxpayers who visit the IRS and click Where's My Refund will see a statement explaining this problem at the top of the page. The IRS says they are working on the problem but at this time they are not forecasting when you can expect your refund. Per IRS they don’t see delaying your tax refund a big deal and don’t seem to be all that concerned about it and they are not taking ownership of this problem.
source

"not taking ownership of this problem".... I think that pretty much sums up the current state of the government!

So what do you think? Usual government "system failure"? Hacking? Has anyone here been effected by this or have anymore information as to what is going on? I have yet to see anything about this on the MSM, but I wonder now that we are entering week 3 on delays if more people will start talking about it.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Gee, I cant file on time because of a computer problem.

Can I just expect them to shrug and wait patiently? It's what they expect of me, isnt it?

When can I start sending them letters threatening paramilitary action and property confiscation for non-compliance?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I am waiting on the day when they do not have the money to refund.

I think that would certainly kick things off here in the States.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

a computer problem

Yeah. Right.
If anyone believes this, they're busy chewing their cud.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
My wife and I had no problems at all. We filed during that time period and got our refund on the 17th. H&R Block had told us to expect it around the 28th, but, I saw it was there while online checking my account. I see a few more boxes of cigars in my humidor in the near future!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Sounds like a great way for the IRS to make a fat bag of interest-they hold the money in a high interest account,then when the computers are "fixed"they suddenly have lots of money left over for themselves...
Snakes IMO.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It is only a "problem" for those expecting a refund and actually need it. Does it not seem as if there is almost a concerted effort to take or withhold any form of "wealth" from the lower middle and poor? States taking homeowner relief funds. The IRS glitching refunds, eyeballing all safety nets as waste. Do they want us to HAVE to hunt and gather to exist? The result may surprise them.
Indeed some in our area are going to a barter system in anticipation of a sudden lack of currency. We are luckily very isolated and rural so it is really only an upgrade on the way it always had worked in an area with limited wealth.
It just seems like another piece of a picture that is forming in which most peoples access to money and ways to make it are being shut down. Wages have been stagnant for a very long time and jobs themselves have 4 unemployed for every opening. The wealthy have taken all the government relief to the point we are near economic disaster ( or are now in it) and they seem to begrudge us even a minimal existence.
So my paranoid conspiracy bone is ringing over this, what else is new? The way things are going it is impossible to actually KNOW anything regarding what they are doing in high office and behind closed doors
APB

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a computer problem=we are broke...
knowing my luck...
I got ticked off last year about us owing them so much money, so I redid the paperwork and I got a feeling they owe us alot of money!! so, well, this would be the first time in a long, long time that we can expect to get something back...
yep, time for a computer problem, time for something!! sorry guys, it's just the way my luck goes.....

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

I'm glad you all made it thru with out any problems. This has been an odd story to follow. One page that I read had a comment and the person claimed that the problem is originating with the differences between the old filing system and the new one. (the new one is supposed to have better ID theft filters). They claimed that if a person was unlucky enough to have their return filed in the old system, it then had to filter thru the new system and pass all the ID checks and that is what is causing the delays.

I was skeptical of that until I found this post on the IRS website:

We asked your help to fully test and run high volumes of tax returns through Modernized e-File (MeF) in 2012. Thank you for your cooperation.

We have successfully taken in more volume through MeF this year than all year in 2011. MeF is working properly, but we have discovered some issues with linkages to downstream processing systems that have primarily affected returns filed between February 6 and 10, 2012.

Those issues, we believe, have been resolved. However, as a temporary measure to ensure future processing runs smoothly, and to provide adequate time to complete processing of the affected returns, we have temporarily lifted all restrictions on the Legacy system.
irs.gov

But that could be them just trying to cover their bases on what really happened.

OiO

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Sounds like a great way for the IRS to make a fat bag of interest-they hold the money in a high interest account,then when the computers are "fixed"they suddenly have lots of money left over for themselves...
Snakes IMO.

thats what i thought

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
From what I have heard the problem with the irs this year is new software they implemented to counter fraud is not working properly and throwing up red flags everywhere. Delaying many refunds, at least thats what the lady that owns the local tax service told me when I was talking to her a few weeks ago.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
No problems here. Filed jan 31st, got my stte refund in 7 days, my federal in 10 days. been using the "where's my refund" site to check for other people, haven't had any problems at all.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
My friend is also in limbo on when his check will get here. I would say they ran out of money.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
They took ours on something already paid 2 yrs ago!
and a lot of people we know checks have been delayed.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Yeah. Sure, a new twist on the old gimmick of "The Check is in the Mail."

edit on 21-2-2012 by Aliensun because: comma

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Funny how both Australia and the U.S,have both had these exact same problem's every year since 2008.I have watched this pattern for close to 4 yrs.
I find it very questionable how both countries have the exact same problem and excuses, friends of mine, back at the start of the GFC had thier business returns delayed by almost a year.These were worth between $10,000 - $30,000 each.Do that to just 5% of the population and that equals billion's!
My wife is still owed $2,500. from last year.Not happy!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Oh my... and come March 8th the FBI pulls the servers... FBI claims IRS is infected with the DNSchanger. Hmmm.. think the IRS might make the claim that they can't payout until their network is cleaned out.
edit on 21-2-2012 by emberscott because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

Oh wow!!! Thank you so much for adding that to the thread! I had missed that piece of news.
Seems all this could snow ball very quickly.

OiO

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I got my refund last Friday just in time to pay Calif state tax. It took right around two weeks or so, about the same as any other year.
edit on 21-2-2012 by bg_socalif because: Fingers engaging before my brain.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

AHHH NOOOOO!!! I just got my w-2!!! I was ready to file TODAY!! UGHUGHUGH

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join