It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple ITunes Store is Stealing your Credit Card and Money Card info !!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I believe I just caught Apple receiving stolen Credit Card and money Card info

I use a Wal Mart Money Card for the purchasing electronic cigarette items online and I also use it in Wall Mart for shopping. This is a pre-paid Visa money card. I load it up with about 100 dollars at a time.

I haven't used it in a while and I keep a mental record of how much I spend After last I used it, the cards should have had 45 dollars on it. My last time using the card was Jan 26th at Wal mart to purchase a Swiss army knife for 24 dollars

When checking the balance last night I had a total of 15.71 when I should have had between 42 and 45 dollars ( once a month Wal Mart takes off 3 dollars for maintenance fees which had not been taken off yet)

We traced the transaction history from my last known purchase. (the knife)

It was discovered a company called Apple ITunes Store had taken off 24.95 yesterday. I do not own an Apple or use ITunes. there is No way Apple could have gotten this information from Me. It looks like another vendor I do business with passed around my Credit Card Info or was hacked and Apple received stolen Credit Card information.

This Apple ITunes store is located in the U.K with the telephone number listed with the Money Card customer service as: 866-712-7753 - If anyone has other information about this number of company I would appreciate it.

The Money Card customer service is doing an investigation on these charges.

*** On February 8th it was widely reported around the internet that Apple was hacked and Credit Card information was stolen. If you Google search " apple itunes store stealing from money card" you will find many posts in the news about this -

However, I believe this is a ruse to cover up Apple knowingly accepting stolen credit card information !!

Aside from the 24.95 this company also tried to take out from my account 2 payments each of $1.00 on the 17th. This transaction was still pending when I spoke to the Wal Mart Money card customer service and they denied this transaction. They were able to credit me back the 24.95 but they are still investigating the matter.

Now to narrow down the suspects who either shared my Credit Card info or got hacked which won't be hard because I have only used this card a few times.

There was also a transaction from a company called Minecraft also in the UK who took 26.00 from my account on the 16th of Feb and then credited it back on the 17th. I also have no idea who this company is or if the two is related - but thank god they put back the money)

edit on 21-2-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
That would be 100% illegal. If they were caught truly doing this, they would be in deep trouble.

As much money as Apple makes, I highly doubt they would risk ruining their business by such a drastic and stupid move - only to be rewarded with a possible few million dollars a year in rewards, compared to their billions in current rewards each year.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Somebody probably took your card info. If you have a windows computer, there was probably a key logger on there that got past your security system. Since the person tried to buy minecraft (a computer game) and buy stuff off of apple, they are clearly not apple. Just some asshat who took your info. Change cards now before they take more money.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle
That would be 100% illegal. If they were caught truly doing this, they would be in deep trouble.

As much money as Apple makes, I highly doubt they would risk ruining their business by such a drastic and stupid move - only to be rewarded with a possible few million dollars a year in rewards, compared to their billions in current rewards each year.

I assume it is possible this is a dummy company using the Apple ITunes name. That's why I posted the telephone number. Perhaps someone from the U.K. can help me shed some light on this.

I do not know the criteria Wal-Mart uses to check the companies they do business with - could it be they just accepted this as the real Apple company? At any rate according tho customer service for this money card, it was under the Apple ITunes name.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Apple nor mine craft were stealing from you. This happens all the time. When you use your card in a store don't let it out of your sight. When you bought the knife the sales person could have taken a quick picture of the front and back of your card in about 2 seconds. Then they proceed to use your card online. Like buying songs and the game mine craft. So basicaly someone stole your card info and is using it online. You need to get a new card with different numbers.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Many online credit card transactions are hacked and/or intercepted daily, I've had mine hacked too doing business overseas online. Good for you using a pre-paid though, minimize your losses if any. Walmart charges $3/month for maintaining your pre-paid Walmart card? That's BoA style ruthlessness.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Avalessa
Somebody probably took your card info. If you have a windows computer, there was probably a key logger on there that got past your security system. Since the person tried to buy minecraft (a computer game) and buy stuff off of apple, they are clearly not apple. Just some asshat who took your info. Change cards now before they take more money.

It's more likely this info was hacked or sold by a company I do business with. This info is not stored on my computer and the browser is sandboxed good.

They did not try to buy Minecraft. Minecraft is the name of a company according to customer service who is also in the UK. They did not have a telephone number for them.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

There was also a transaction from a company called Minecraft also in the UK who took 26.00 from my account on the 16th of Feb and then credited it back on the 17th. I also have no idea who this company is or if the two is related - but thank god they put back the money)

i just done a search of minecraft
seems like its an paid online game

Minecraft is a sandbox-building[2][3] independent video game written in Java originally by Swedish creator Markus "Notch" Persson and now by his company, Mojang

seems like someone thought they could take your money
and put it back with little suspicion
or
they realised it was unauthorised

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkice19
Apple nor mine craft were stealing from you. This happens all the time. When you use your card in a store don't let it out of your sight. When you bought the knife the sales person could have taken a quick picture of the front and back of your card in about 2 seconds. Then they proceed to use your card online. Like buying songs and the game mine craft. So basicaly someone stole your card info and is using it online. You need to get a new card with different numbers.

I swipe my card. It was never in a sales persons hands. If the card is not in my hand being swiped, it's in my wallet. I have only used it with 3 other companies online aside from using it in Wal-Mart.. This card is only a month and a half old. I normally would have thought that i just got hacked and someone was using it.. until i found out that on the 8th Apple claimed they were hacked and CC info was stolen.. it just didn't look right to me.. like it could be a cover up.

I'm not out to get Apple or anything.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
No offense, but I highly, highly doubt Apple would knowingly participate in this.

Apple's stock just for the first time ever passed $500. Apple is a massive company, and stands to lose EVERYTHING if they were found to be involved in petty crime.

I can almost guarantee you that if these charges didn't originate with you, they came from someone who had access to your CC # and CCV code. It could have been someone intercepting the information online, or it could have been someone you know who had an opportunity to peek in your wallet, etc.

For the record, I'm not a fan of Apple - but this seems like utter nonsense to me. Companies like Apple don't get involved with these types of schemes because they have so much to lose.

Good luck resolving it - you should write Apple a letter and see what they have to say about this.

It doesn't matter how secure you believe your computer is, the hijacked information typically doesn't happen at the system level anyway, without some form of malware being in place first.
edit on 21-2-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Maybe a wall mart cashier got your number off a comp

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
the $1.00 are test purchases to see if they card details are good as if they go through then they'll use it for something meatier as they are so low in value that they don't trigger any sort of unusual spending algorithms at the banks side

and buying crap from the apple store is a popular way to launder money as they buy stuff that they own and so get 30% sent to them

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Not to rain on your parade or anything like that, but someone simply just got a hold of your Wallmart CC info and used it to make a digital purchase (very common nowadays)

Apple wouldn't take such a risk just to steal a few pennies off your wall-mart card, & I'm not saying they don't do shady things, they definitely do just not on this level of shadyness.. This is like amateur shady lol

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This is a good reminder for people to check their accounts occasionally and pay close attention to triggers (such as $1.00 charges) ... this happened to me once through my visa and the credit union rep. told me that those are red flag charges that are made to determine if the card is legit and can then go on to be used it for larger purchases. The CU rep. said that she has seen many instances in which people overlook or never check their balances (the mental note is not always good enough) and never catch these clues until much too late.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
They did not try to buy Minecraft. Minecraft is the name of a company according to customer service who is also in the UK. They did not have a telephone number for them.

Well this info is wrong..

Reason...

Minecraft is a game name Like I donno...... Battlefield 2... the people who make maintain the game EA or whatever that company is..

Minecraft is owned by Mojang, the reside in Sweeden... If you buy a game from them the info only states in email you bought a game and invoice states Company is Mojang.. So the company is not in the UK at all, they are a small company who runs the game on thier own.. They arent a big place like EA or 2k or whatever..

Here is an email you get when you buy the game..

> From: noreply@mojang.com
> To: lalalala
> Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 20:45:17 -0500
> Subject: Minecraft purchase complete
>
> Hi ME!!!,
>
> Thank you for purchasing Minecraft!
> To play the game, visit www.minecraft.net... and either download the game, or play it directly in your web browser.
>
> Your user name is WEEMYUSERID
> Your transaction ID is 1234567890
> If you ever forget your password, or want to change it, you can request a new one here: www.minecraft.net...
>
> Thank you,
> Mojang
>

So the info you got about MC is 100% WRONG.

::EDIT TO ADD::

www.mojang.com...
Mojang is an indie game developer studio based in Stockholm, Sweden. We develop a game called Minecraft and another game yet to be announced. The Mojang team currently consists of 9 people.

::EDIT AGAIN:::

The game is 26.95 not 26 bucks.. so it wasnt mc that took that money from you...
edit on 2/21/2012 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Card come with a security code a 3 to 4 digit pin imprinted on the card, not to mention the expiery date. Try to think back, was the clerk gone with your card?

Did you use your card online at any time? The safest bet so far would be Keylogger.
edit on 21-2-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
FYI, Apple getting hacked and credit card info being stolen IS DIFFERENT than someone obtaining your credit card details and using them on iTunes Apple website.

Your credit card details could have been obtained any number of ways, not just by using a fraudulent online vendor. Your PC may have a trojan / virus installed and a hacker could have got them directly from your PC, another method (as you have kinda already mentioned) is an online vendor could have been hacked and an hacker could obtain the details that way. In rare situations it is actually the vendor that is passsing around your details, they are trying to run a business and passing around credit card details means your business wont be lasting very long.
EDIT TO ADD: Most common way to obtained your credit card details is not online at all, but in your local store, I have personally not known anyone who has had there details stolen online, but a few of my friends and family have had their card info stolen by the store clerk.

Im sure many fraudulently obtained credit card details have been used on iTunes, theres little they can do about it short of contacting each order to confirm and sending a confirmation letter to the billing address through the post, but then you would be waiting days to receive your 99 cent song, so it really infeasible.

Best thing to do when using a credit card online (if you really are concerned) is notify your credit card company to notify you before they confirm any online orders. But some credit card companys might not let you do this.
edit on 21-2-2012 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

join