It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help, Is it possible to cure hypertension to the point where medication is no longer needed?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

makes yer poop look red! other than that beets are really good. red veggies good for the blood

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Thanks for that, ill give it a try, A glass of Beet juice a day cant exactly do any harm can it

I wouldn't recommend drinking beet juice if you are trying to lose weight. Beets contain more sugar than any other vegetable and you body turns excess sugar directly into fat. Here's an article describing that process in laymen terms. Eating Fat doesn't make you Fat. and here is a video about sugar at around 57 minutes he starts talking about fructose metabolism.

In short if you can't watch the video or read the article, i tried this and it worked for me. I stopped drinking or eating anything with sugar in it that didn't have a large amount of natural fibers and I tried to cut grains out of my diet in as many ways as possible I dropped from a 36 waist to a 32 waist in 2 months.

LIMIT YOUR INTAKE OF FRUCTOSE AND SUCROSE COMBINED TO UNDER 25 GRAMS A DAY. This is key and will probably extend your life by many years.

Would just like to add this info on beet juice from a doctors post on a health website:
"Just make sure you take into account the extra calories and sugar. A two-cup serving of beetroot juice contains around 200 calories and 50 grams of carbohydrates. If you don't adjust your daily caloric intake, adding two cups of the juice daily could lead to a weight gain of about a pound and a half a month, which could potentially offset the beetroot-derived cardiovascular benefits." Source
edit on 21-2-2012 by epsilon69 because: added beetjuice info

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Fast 3 days to clense your system, be sure to drink plenty of water, then start a balenced vegan diet after the third day for about 6 weeks. Include exercize in your plan, start mildly. Cut anythig that raises blood pressure such as stress, cigarette smoking, coffee, excess salt sugar and fats. It is normal for the blood presure to increase slightly during the first 2 weeks, thereafter it will drop

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It's great to see how many people are becoming (broadly) paleo in their diet. It's even better to hear how great their health becomes as a result.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Look into Taurine supplements. I've been taking Taurine for about 2 weeks, as it has been shown to help anxiety (and it has, as well as lifting in general mood and providing me with decent sleep) and it also good for the heart and eyes. Another use has been shown that it can help with Hypertension.

Taurine, a sulfur-containing amino acid, has been reported to have antihypertensive and sympatholytic activity. [40] Nineteen patients with borderline hypertension were supplemented with 6 g taurine daily for seven days in a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Systolic BP in the 10 taurine-treated patients decreased an average of 9 mm Hg compared with a 2 mm Hg decrease in the nine patients treated with placebo; diastolic BP in the taurine-treated patients decreased an average of 4 mm Hg compared with 1 mm Hg in the placebo-treated subjects. Taurine supplementation resulted in a significant decrease in plasma epinephrine but not norepinephrine levels. Individuals with hypertension tend to have higher epinephrine compared to people with normal blood pressure. [41] Research shows taurine relaxes blood vessels by enhancing endorphin production, resulting in lowered blood pressure. [42,43]

Link

Taurine is a naturally occurring non-essential Amino Acid (by default, not actually an Amino Acid, but an oddity in that respect) and has shown to be quite well tolerated.

Taurine, or 2-aminoethanesulfonic acid, is an organic acid widely distributed in animal tissues. It is a major constituent of bile and can be found in the large intestine and accounts for approximately 0.1% of total human body weight. Taurine has many fundamental biological roles such as conjugation of bile acids, antioxidation, osmoregulation, membrane stabilization and modulation of calcium signaling. It is essential for cardiovascular function, and development and function of skeletal muscle, the retina and the central nervous system. Taurine is unusual among biological molecules in being a sulfonic acid, while the vast majority of biologically occurring acids contain the more weakly acidic carboxyl group. While taurine is sometimes called an amino acid, and indeed is an acid containing an amino group, it is not an amino acid in the usual biochemical meaning of the term, which refers to compounds containing both an amino and a carboxyl group.

Link

I can honestly say it has helped me much more than I had expected. And it's pretty cheap to boot.

My anxiety appears markedly reduced, and an overall mood shift is well accepted by me

Just throwing it out there, certainly not medical advice, just personal opinion!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by epsilon69

Just put it this way, I'm eating all the right stuff (with maybe just a little too much salt)

I'm & 16 Stone down from 17 1/2 and about 5"4.

I commend you on your weight loss and wish you continued success. That said, from a starting point of 17.5 stone you were well into the "morbidly obese" category (BMI 42). 16 stone takes you out of that category and puts you in the "Class 2" obesity range (BMI 38).

For reference, to apply you would need to get down to about 11.5 stone which is still towards the top of the "overweight" category but under the (28 BMI) limit of the RAF for example.

My point is I don't think the BP is the problem, the weight is. Going from the "morbidly obese" category to the "normal" category will likely be all it takes to control the BP. I'm not trying to be mean here, I was born in the early 1960's and a few years ago when my doctor suggested BP meds I dropped to under 11 stone and I'm 6'0" tall. Granted I didn't have to lose too much to do it, but no meds yet and BP is much better.

To be considering the military you must be quite a bit younger than me so I have no doubt whatsoever that you can accomplish this. Show the recruiter a photo of the "before you" to demonstrate how determined you are to serve and what you have done to be eligible to apply.

Again, I wish you the very best of success.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
As has already been said, its down to a healthy diet and exercise. Look at low cholestrol diets as well as diets for blood pressure, there are plenty of books around on the subject.

To get in the forces, you will not only need to pass the medical but the physical as well, so do some homework on battle fitness tests as well. The Army Rumour Service (ARSE) is a good site for ALL services to get info from.

Many years ago, I had mild Hypertension and was started on 50mg Atenolol daily. With exercise and changing my diet, in 6 months I went down to 25mg Atenolol daily, followed by a further 6 months when I was told I no longer needed any at all.

Your weight to height ratio (BMI) is part of the problem, so you need to be a ''lean mean fighting machine''.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by epsilon69

Just to give a bit of contrast to your comment, in case you missed mine, my husband lost 40 pounds in 6 months while drinking 24 ounces of beet juice a day. The only thing he changed besides adding beet juice to his diet was cutting down on his portion sizes. Edited to add: That he didn't add beet juice for weight loss, he added it for blood pressure reasons.

Fat, sugar, carbs...they don't make you fat on their own. Consuming more calories (no matter what they are from) than you burn on a daily basis is what makes you fat.

edit on 21-2-2012 by CoherentlyConfused because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The problem atm really isn't the smoking or the alcohol, but the weight. I wouldn't look into supplements or "beet juice" or whatever until you lose the weight. Then if something is still off with the blood pressure, which it shouldn't be, then look into alternatives. How did having to take a bp med at 22 not hit you like a ton of bricks?
Maybe it did but your doctor is putting a bandaid on a gapping wound.

edit on 21-2-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I have essential hypertension, but I am asymptomatic. Someone knowledgeable would ask me how that could be, and I'll point them to research about women with persistent pre-eclampsia.

Because of this though, you could say that I am pretty successful in keeping my blood pressure normal.

If the other methods aren't doing it for you, I can suggest some things that I know help me.

Serrapeptase - high dose for a while. This might be useful if the problem is in your arteries already. I wouldn't stay on it forever.

Beta-glucan - can help with blood pressure and cholesterol.

Magnesium - particularly useful if your underlying issue is that you are prone to hardening of the arteries
life.nationalpost.com...

Increased B vitamins - I need a higher does of B for other reasons, but it can help with stress related spikes

edit on 2012/2/21 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Avoiding coffee, salt, stress....be wary, long term untreated high BP causes renal problems which in turn causes high blood pressure..its a vicious circle so you'll need to keep a close watch on it.

Good luck !

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I would bet cash you have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Go get tested and get on a APAP breathing machine and your hypertension should all but subside. You can look up numerous clinical trials on this anywhere on the Internet. You will never be able to control your hypertension if you have OSA. It kind of scares me that I'm the only one to suggest this. Let me know if you need help.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bcleezy

I would bet cash you have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Go get tested and get on a APAP breathing machine and your hypertension should all but subside. You can look up numerous clinical trials on this anywhere on the Internet. You will never be able to control your hypertension if you have OSA. It kind of scares me that I'm the only one to suggest this. Let me know if you need help.

In fairness, the best way to 'cure' Sleep apnoea is to lose weight. By using APAP or CPAP, you are only treating the symptoms, not curing the problem.

If you look at the OPs stats, you can cleary see that he is overweight for his height. He also wants to join the Armed Forces. So healthy diet and exercise are really the key factors here. With a lot of detirmination and hard work, he should overcome the Hypertension.
edit on 21/2/12 by Wotan because: addition

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I have good news!

I've had high blood pressure for years. Last fall I quit smoking and joined a gym where I do pilates and yoga about 5 or 6 times a week. I'll occasionally get on the elliptical and do a zumba class but I don't do any serious cardio to speak of. I've changed my diet somewhat but to be honest, I still have my coffee (hubby makes it half decaf and haf regular for me) and I lowered my intake of those naughty diet cokes but can't quit them totally.

So it's been about six months. I went to the doctor last week and my BP was 114/70!!! Shocker!!! I never =) So he's taking me off my blood pressure meds. There is one I have to stay on because I'm a diabetic as well (those numbers are looking awesome as well) but he keeps all his diabetics on them.

It IS possible. I'm sure it varies from person to person with hereditary and underling conditions but I am here to tell you for me - it worked! I've not dropped a lot of weight as muscle weights more then fat but my body is buff.
Just the other day I was looking out the tennis courts and thought 'Damn, that chic looks good' then someone opened the door and I realized I had been looking at a reflection of myself. lol I think it was elongating me tho. I'm only 5' and that person looked taller haha

Just do it. See what happens! Keep us updated.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Cheers for all the support guys,

Honestly i was a healthy weight at one point when i was living independently, then the recession hit, i got made redundant and was finding it impossible to get another job so eventually i couldn't pay the rent anymore and i was forced to take up accommodation at the parents house for a year, it was that year i was back home that did it, i was doing Nothing for like 11 months and probably in some state of depression where i just made tasty Large meals with my expert chef skills all the time

But it's cool, the weight is shedding away and I'm gradually becoming me again, but seemingly been left with a sort of metaphorical scar (the blood pressure) which I'm glad to know can be healed if i really knuckle down and start living properly again.

Fear not wheels are turning

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

In Fairness weight does not always play a role in OSA. I am 6'0 and 185 pounds and I have full blown OSA. I was born with internal throat obstructions and use an APAP. Saying weight loss will cure OSA is incorrect. It definitely won't hurt but is not a cure all to OSA. An APAP will work to keep the airway open even if he is overweight. This is the therapy needed in addition to weight loss. OP, get a sleep test and a throat scope by a ENT and go on a APAP if found positive for OSA.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Bcleezy

Look, I am not going into a war with you over sleep apnoea.

The bottom line is, this guy wants to join HM Armed Forces. If he did have APAP/CPAP, they will take a very dim view of that when they get a copy of his medical records.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

You might check out on the net . . .

1. 1-3 tablespoons of raw organic apple cider vinegar twice a day orally. Taken in juice--it's not so bad. Some add honey. Some do a honey, vinegar, garlic concoction that evidently has even more health benefits.

2. Relaxation techniques and other anxiety reducing practices such as rewiring your stinkin' thinkin can greatly reduce blood pressure as well.

3. An aquarium of some size and complexity can lower blood pressure when gazed at a number of minutes daily.

4. Prayer and meditation times daily help.

5. Walking around the block helps.

6. Avoiding negative people helps.

7. Learning to turn stress and negative inputs off for sleep and for major portions of your awake time helps.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The following work to lower blood pressure (& also rid the body of radiation)...

BLOOD PRESSURE CUFF (for taking your own bp at home/electronic wrist type logs bp reading and time and date/test if your beet juice drink does lower your bp) - BLOOD PRESSURE CUFF

LUGOLS IODINE (take in glass of distilled water www.iodine4health.com ) - LUGOLS IODINE

MAGNESIUM TABLET & SPRAY - MAGNESIUM SPRAY MAGNESIUM TABLET

LITHIUM OROTATE - (Trace mineral the helps regulate mood, relieve Depression and Anxiety) - LITHIUM OROTATE

CELTIC SEA SALT (REAL SALT LOWERS BP AND IS GOOD FOR YOU) - CELTIC SEA SALT

A tiny pinch of good quality sea salt in several glasses of distilled water each day will provide one with all the minerals and trace elements you need to rid your body of the radiation and stay healthy.

Can’t stomach sea salt? The amino acid, cysteine also protects against the damaging effects of radiation by terminating the free radicals produced by ionizing radiation.

Iodine is obviously not the only substance that we should run to in the face of increasing radiation threats. Magnesium is a vital mineral whose lack leaves us open to not only radioactive damages but also those from heavy metals and thousands of chemicals, which we are commonly exposed to. Mercury and now a long list of radioactive particles are floating in the environment like invisible clouds that have spread out everywhere. They are raining down on us, damaging and damning our future. We can no longer be passive about building our defenses against the toxic onslaught.

Without sufficient magnesium, the body accumulates toxins and acid residues, degenerates rapidly, and ages prematurely. Just about everyone who is writing protocols for radiation toxicity is forgetting about the importance of magnesium salts. Worse still are governments and the entire institution of medicine that are purposely ignorant about magnesium, so they cannot possibly be trusted for valuable health and medical information that will help us in our time of dire need. The need was dire before Fukushima but they did not want to admit that; they let the public get obsessed with CO2 emissions and said nothing about the mercury. Now with radioactive nuclides steadily building up in the background, we are in trouble than any of us care to admit. Today the situation has gone nuclear and there has never before been a need so great for detoxification and chelation.

Magnesium is a crucial factor in the natural self-cleansing and detoxification responses of the body. Magnesium is also necessary for effective chelation. It stimulates the sodium potassium pump on the cell wall and this initiates the cleansing process in part because the sodium-potassium-ATPase pump regulates intracellular and extracellular potassium levels. The healthy cell wall favors intake of nutrients and elimination of waste products. The involvement of free radicals in tissue injury induced by magnesium deficiency causes an accumulation of oxidative products in heart, liver, kidney, skeletal muscle tissues and in red blood cells, leaving them more vulnerable to oxidative stress caused by radiation exposure. Both radiation exposure and heavy metals produce oxidative stress through the creation of increased levels of reactive oxygen species (ROS -- oxygen free radicals, peroxides, and singlet oxygen). It is known that these increased levels of intracellular ROS are sufficient to trigger apoptosis (cell death).

Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...
www.iodine4health.com

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

It's possible I believe.

Whats your weight?

I was getting to the point that the doc. probably would have been talking to me about BP meds a couple months ago, but I've lost a good amount of weight, and exercise alot.. Well my BP is pretty good now.

Also, Hypertension is pretty prevalent on both sides of my family, so genetics are also stacked against me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join