It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins 'Deserve Same Rights As Humans'

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
All the vegans drive me insane. Sure I wish I didn't have to kill an animal to eat but let's keep it real. You can't survive on vegetables alone and humans are carnivores. We have canine teeth adapted for eating meat. Asking a human being to be vegan is like asking them to change species.. If it makes you happy to be vegan I'm happy for you. However, I am never going to stop eating meat especially if it's survival mode.
edit on 21-2-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kratos1220

I noticed my post was being ignored.
No one wants to pay attention to all the facts which is sad considering the motto of this site.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Thank you haha

we are all part of this universe which is in all likelihood a super-advanced computer program or one of an infinite number, either of which probably means that we live forever through reincarnations of sorts.. and if our reincarnations are chosen by karma, then these people who cannot look at a dolphin with any respect will definitely be reincarnated as the ducks that are forcefed food their entire life so their liver will taste good, or a baby cow grown without the opportunity to move anywhere or outside so their meat tastes better.

It's the truth. I think this site doesn't like mention of drug use, so i hope i dont get this deleted, but i believe that if ignorant people would do mushrooms, or lsd, or dmt, they might be able to realize that we're all one universe viewing itself subjectively, so everything should be treated with care.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Maponos

hhahaha classic...It super pisses me off when i see those guys chopping of their noses in japan..

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Who is to say which direction a species may go? Everything evolves. As time progresses a dolphin may develop social structure, community, society, and a recognizable language. If they could speak to us in a language which we can understand then perhaps we should listen to what they have to say. If they do speak to us what would they say? If they ask for freedom and rights we should allow them to have these things. One day that time may come. It may not be tomorrow and it may not be for five thousand years or more. We as humans need to understand that we share our world with many other beings, some more intelligent than others. When and how do we realize that a species has become more than what it once was? I read an article recently where orangutans were swimming and spear fishing. This is something they had not done before and was never seen in the past. What does it mean? I don’t really know but it sounds pretty amazing.

That being said even dolphins eat other living things. It is the way of nature and we would be silly to expect otherwise. You cannot expect all humans to become vegetarian just as you can’t expect a dolphin to eat only seaweed. Plus, humans have also been food for a multitude of other species such as sharks, lions, and bears to name a few.

I believe the Native Americans had it right. They learned to live in a balance with nature and understood that all things great and small have their place in the world.

I know I’m not perfect but I want to be as close as I can possibly be. Maybe one day I will evolve too.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by forklift

A team of experts has said dolphins should be given the same rights to life and liberty as humans because of their high levels of intelligence and self-awareness.

Scientists meeting in Canada were told the mammals deserved to be treated as non-human "persons" who were given the same ethical considerations as humans.

A small group of experts in philosophy, conservation and dolphin behaviour were canvassing support for a "Declaration of Rights for Cetaceans".

It is hoped recognising cetaceans' rights could mean an end to whaling and the captivity of dolphins and whales, or their use in entertainment.

Sky news

when are these freakin' dolphins gonna start paying their fair share of taxes.!?!? damn freeloaders!! we must refuse to take herring and cod as payment. OCCUPY THE OCEANS!!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
gosh, so THIS thread is where all the ATS comedians gather...
do any of you, you know, actually read the threads before you post?
i mean i know you're the greatest comedic talent out
but that HEY DOLPHINS SHOULD PAY TAX/OCCUPY/DURR THEY EAT STUFF TOO business
was kinda tired out by the second post, you know?

so, repositioning my frown and getting serious,
an amazing number of people seem to be making a few logical fallacies here.....
what has happened here is that we have known dolphins are highly intelligent for hundreds of years.
now we are discovering that what we thought might be something like a complicated structured langauge.... wait for it....
is.
so yeah, they can reason, they have empathy, they can communicate complex concepts...
so what is being tabled here is a proposition that
hey!
maybe we should start to think in future terms, and maybe redefine what it is to be 'human' to include a few more basic and important criteria, and less of the being forced through the genitals of a naked ape.
The posthuman world is going to be a confusing enough place as it is without burying our heads in the sand and wishing it would go away. Taking steps now to help our clearly intelligent planetmates can only help everyone in the long term.
this is
and let me make this perfectly clear
not the same thing as saying "hey these dolphin things are cute, my steak needs rights".

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by forklift

However, are they like us? Really? And for an intelligent species, i can't help thinking they are good at swimming into tuna nets!

Ever walk in to a glass door?

Just sayin....

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall
All the vegans drive me insane. Sure I wish I didn't have to kill an animal to eat but let's keep it real. You can't survive on vegetables alone and humans are carnivores. We have canine teeth adapted for eating meat. Asking a human being to be vegan is like asking them to change species.. If it makes you happy to be vegan I'm happy for you. However, I am never going to stop eating meat especially if it's survival mode.
edit on 21-2-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

Dr Klapa argues against these statements... He says if you tried to take down live beef with your canines you'd break em.. he rekons their good for biting into apples and other hard fruit and vege. Plenty of peolpe do survive on a vegitarian diet.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Can we at least agree that whatever rights dolphins have (whether it is freedom from cruelty or a minimum wage like the comedians are suggesting) it includes the right to be free from this?:

edit on 22-2-2012 by spaceinvaders because: fix link

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by spaceinvaders

I don't think I should have watched that before going to bed.
I still don't think we need to extend them the same rights as humans, but whole sale slaughter isn't necessary.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by forklift

A team of experts has said dolphins should be given the same rights to life and liberty as humans because of their high levels of intelligence and self-awareness.

Sky news

I agree. I think that gay dolphins should be allowed to marry and adopt children.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pigraphia
reply to post by Kratos1220

I noticed my post was being ignored.
No one wants to pay attention to all the facts which is sad considering the motto of this site.

I think the whole concept of dolphin rape may have been a little too hard to grasp...it was for me anyway.

I didnt know if you were talking about dolphin on dolphin rape or dolphin on human.

It opened up a whole other argument on rights for me (inside my head, that is).

Interesting concept that they could potentially be tried as humans, however, what it does increase the potential for is that we may begin - using improving the welfare of dolphins as a core objective - to actually take care of our oceans.

Everything in our oceans would benefit.

Isnt it exciting that we've spent so much time seeking intelligent life on other planets that we have been mainly igniring the biosphere here?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

and you dont swim into nets? Or walk into trouble ever? are you that much smarter than any animal? Your instincts are the same as theirs. Study animals more before you make a comment please. Intelligence comes in many forms.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maponos
Cool, do Dolphins deserve the right to vote too? If so, Ron Paul should change his name to Eeee---EEEeeeeeeE

That might give him the extra support needed for him to win the election, but you need to allow dolphin voters first.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I don't know how a thread that was about Dolphins deserving rights turned into a thread about veganism and lame jokes.

I do believe that a species such as Dolphins with an above average level of intelligence do deserve to get the right to live their life to the fullest without the danger of being eaten.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
What rights do you think they are wanting to really give Dolphins anyway? As far as I know, no-one eats dolphin meat. Edit: Just watched the vid. above. I had no idea people actually ate dolphins.

I like Dolphins, but it's not going to change my way of life whatever they decide. I kill my own chickens, rabbits etc. and will continue to do so for food.
edit on 22-2-2012 by spurge because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2012 by spurge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
This thread right here is why we will be extinct in a few thousand years.

Always thinking we're above the rest of the species that live on this planet, not treating them with respect and thinking everything is just here for us to consume, consume until there's no more.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by gabbermatt

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by forklift

However, are they like us? Really? And for an intelligent species, i can't help thinking they are good at swimming into tuna nets!

Ever walk in to a glass door?

Just sayin....
Hmmmmm, then you kept walking into the glass door over and over again? Or you opened it?

Hence the difference between humans and dolphins.

ETA: Maybe decepticonlaura can read this and tell about how great these dolphins reason things out.

edit on 22-2-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Sounds good to me...

give them equal rights...

In turn make them pay taxes...

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join