It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins 'Deserve Same Rights As Humans'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Like us in what way? Intelligent, able to communicate, sure. Destructive, wasteful, biased, and braindead, not so much. Personally, I believe life is life, and all life is equal, or are we somehow more entitled than other lifeforms because we're born human?

I take this as a sign that perhaps humanity is not as lost as I once thought it to be, but it will probably be shut down. We're going to face a very unwanted dilemma rather shortly, and will have to choose between the elongation of our destructive tendencies coupled with the death of our planet, or changing our ways and salvaging whatever we can in an effort to preserve our planet. I'd prefer the latter, but then again a universe without Humanity to plague it is pretty tempting.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
We must speak to a dolphin ambassador

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlord
We must speak to a dolphin ambassador
I heard she is on her way to New York City to address the UN.

Their limos are way cool.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I can't read this thread without the hitchhikers guide to galaxy intruding on my thoughts.

Its clear the majority of people judge worth of the creatures by their ability to make tools. Cue lots of snark about them building hospitals etc.

Its interesting. We judge merit not on intelligence but on similarity to ourselves. I always have the sneaking suspicion we'll be on the receiving end of this same attitude some day.

"Should humans deserve galactic rights, findings indicate they are quite intelligent?"

"Don't be ridiculous, they are such limited creatures, not capable of the most basic telepathic manipulation. Get back to me when the first human forms a hive mind (snort of derision)"

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I think humans should have the same rights as animals.

Basic food, water and shelter should be free for all. If you have to "work" to aquire your basic human rights, then it's slavery.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Indeed!

Either Dolphins start to pay taxes, or I want free living space and food as well!
edit on 21-2-2012 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by forklift

I agree completely,but it's not just Dolphins who should be given those rights.The granting of rights on a par with those "enjoyed" by Humanity appear to be based upon the perceived intelligence of a species, now who the hell has the right to apply those criteria to one species over another?

All creatures are sentient beings deserving of respect and understanding by us,it's high time we got down from our self designated pedestal and realised that we are only one species on this planet among millions,we are not that special,a great majority of species on this planet would see us as nothing more than parasites(assuming that they were in the class of lifeforms deemed to be intelligent enough of course!)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
It is entirely possible that future humans/aliens will view us as barbarians who denied basic rights to persons based on their species. We will be considered even worse than we view racism among human races from the past. And they will be right.

I dont think it is possible to give same rights to animals. But discussion about these things is important, because if we cannot even answer basic question such as why do humans deserve rights and animals dont, then by what measure can we judge someone who arbitrarily chooses to deny these rights even to humans?

Speciesism is hardly a justifiable position in the end.

edit on 21/2/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
HAHA you know what probably happened. The stupid scientists found out the dolphins they were testing were smarter than them. So they figure dolphins should be classified as humans cause look how smart they are. Well I would say those idiot scientists should be classified lower class than a dolphin with that kind of conclusion.

Knowing this answer comes from a background of bone head evolution nuts, thinking were all the same, coming from a rock billions of years ago from some explosion. Its no wonder they came up with this answer.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

Lol you forgot long pork. On a more serious note if they can pass the Turing test then yes they should be given rights, if not back to SeaWorld Shamu.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
It is entirely possible that future humans/aliens will view us as barbarians who denied basic rights to persons based on their species. We will be considered even worse than we view racism among human races from the past. And they will be right.

I dont think it is possible to give same rights to animals. But discussion about these things is important, because if we cannot even answer basic question such as why do humans deserve rights and animals dont, then by what measure can we judge someone who arbitrarily chooses to deny these rights even to humans?

Speciesism is hardly a justifiable position in the end.

edit on 21/2/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

I agree, but we are still to primitive to understand that, as far as I can tell. I guess we get there when we get there.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by forklift
Don't know what's gone wrong with people these days.

The government is busy killing humans while trying to implement human rights for the poor dolphins and most of the people here agree to it.

We have got more important issues to spend money and time on than trying to establish human rights for poor dolphins. How does that even related to science or research?

Even Caesar says NOOOOOO to human rights:

Dolphins/Whales are a necessity to the equilibrium of the food chain and ecosystem... Its preety important that they dont become extinct. If other creatures are made to wait till the resolution of human issues occurs, then humanity wont last long with "rights" to enjoy if the ecosystem is falling apart.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
The new family guy episode reminded me of this threat.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Honestly?

I think the premise that dolphins should be treated as humans is a bit...well..ridiculous.

But I have to say....that of all the animals in our kingdom---I have a soft spot for dolphins. The more you study them, the more you realize what amazing and human-like creatures they are....

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I think it shows the state of the world. We used to respect nature now the only thing keeping people from killing it are laws that send people to jail and charge fines.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

edit on 21-2-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

You are totally f-ing ignorant. Can dolphins fight for freedom? Can they organize a government? Can they do anything but chirp and blow air out their holes? Come on, hug a tree if you want, but let me eat my dolphin meat.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
human beings don't even have a right to life and to be born in most western countries and people are actually making a case for marine land entertainment.

link   
double post.
edit on 21-2-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

link   

Good it is about time they should pay their share of my tax burden.
2nd

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join