It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins 'Deserve Same Rights As Humans'

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seektruthalways1
reply to post by ideasarebulletproof

Yeah, and it makes so much more sense that Nothing exploded 20 billion years ago, and we evolved from rocks.....and we lost our tails cause we didnt need them....

well it makes sense to me.
not the way you worded it, but what your words essentially mean.

oh, and we still have tails. next time you sit down too hard and bruise your coccyx you will know all about it.
also you will be able to feel your vestigial tail [probably for months.]

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Seektruthalways1

Ummm.... Who says we evolved from rocks? "Nothing exploded 20 billion years ago". Oh ok, so "nothing" came from some magical sky fairy's finger tips? Yeah, that makes SO much more sense. Why don't I just put my higher reasoning abilities aside and just listen to you!

I don't claim to know exactly what happened 20 billion years ago, and neither do scientists. They have theories, and theories change with new evidence, unlike some other "theories" from people like you.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Remember all those books written by whales?

Yeah, me neither.

This is just dumb. All life has intelligence, otherwise it would not exist. That doesn't make my neighbor's dog a person, or the dolphins at Sea World people.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I find it hilarious more then 98% of these responses aren't taking the original posts account as to why this is being sought. This threads derailed into a trashcan.

Researchers and scientists of a specific camp think dolphins and whales are the exception in the oceanic animal kingdom. It isnt as if we are producing linguistic ciphers to hear what tuna talk about. Dolphins and Whales have complex behavior that we've been trying to decode and get taken seriously for decades, and now where close.

It shouldn't be long before we can produce a context for both species to begin speaking. THATS why their seeking to give them rights.

They are getting closer to speaking terms with what we thought was an animal that resides on the liquid mass of the planet.. a part of this world we do not inhabit outside of resource exploitation. How quickly and how hard of a slap in the face of human hubris would it be to have to see a dolphin as a person. Not human but a person all the same.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Huggiesunrise

If they are people as you say than they are horrible people.
Rape, murder, playing with the corpses of the baby dolphins they killed...

I don't think they should be slaughtered the way they are in Japan but "rights"...

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I agree with this absolutely, infact I would go a step further and say these kinds of rights should be extended to ALL creatures. Somehow we got this idea that humans are ultra supreme and that every other creature on the Earth is potentially our slave. This isn't right and shouldn't be that way. Non-human animals are morally superior to humans in that they don't torture, enslave and war with other creatures, they are not capable of this. I believe with science and technology we can create a sort of superfood (might have already been done) that can completely replace the need for animal meats and milk. But yea, there is more slavery today then ever before in human history. The monetary-capitalist system is the most destructive, barbaric, violent, ruthlessly exploitive and wasteful system the world has ever seen. Only when we get rid of this system and implement a system where everyone is supported and taken care of will we have entered the realm of 'civilization'. We are not a civilization at the moment.
edit on 24-2-2012 by RadioactiveRob because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by RadioactiveRob

I can't wait to be the defendant in a class action lawsuit for stepping on an anthill.

Since that's what would come of 'all creatures having the same rights as humans'.

The lawyers could sue for ants that are totally unaware of their own existence(for all we know).

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Man... Listen... A dolphin is not the same as say an elk or a cow.. They are far more intelligent animals (which as a hunter I know Elk are pretty sly themselves). They are the only other creature on this planet that match us when it comes to cognitive functioning.. In some ways their brains make far more efficient calculations.

Now considering them human is one thing.. They are not.. However considering them as non-human persons which would set them below humans but above all other creatures on this planet.. Yeah I could deal with that..

By the way.. Killing an animal can potentially just be as live ruining as killing a human... Go shoot a Bald Eagle out of the sky anywhere in the US.. You'll get far more than you ever would murdering someone.
edit on 24-2-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RadioactiveRob

That's not true animals torture each other.
Killer whales have been seen playing with their food.
Wolves will often keep the chase going longer than necessary because they enjoy the hunt.

There is no such thing as morally superior or not, there is animal and not.
One has reason, one acts on pure instinct and those instincts often cause them to do bad things for the enjoyment of it.
Which is fine they are animals in the animal kingdom playing with your food isn't evil, it's only evil in our world because we aren't animals and have developed past those things.
Don't go spouting that animals are so superior they aren't they are just different and in some cases they can be worse.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

By the way.. Killing an animal can potentially just be as live ruining as killing a human... Go shoot a Bald Eagle out of the sky anywhere in the US.. You'll get far more than you ever would murdering someone.
reply to post by DaMod

Indeed, you are right. I guess I shouldn't have advocated widespread killing of the species that is our national symbol, oh that's right, I didn't.

Granting them the same rights as humans have would be stupid, that was the point of my last post. I wasn't vague about what I meant, and I don't understand how that evolves into my wishing for the wanton slaughter of animals. Go picket KFC if you really want to save a bird today. Then there are McDonalds and Burger King if you want to save a higher form of life. There are still cannibals to be found in Asia, South America and Africa if you want to stop humans from eating the highest form of life yet found on Earth.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by discharged77
Do dolphins believe in gay marriage??

The gay ones probably do.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Pigraphia

lets not tar all Cetacians with the same brush shall we ....
It appears to be only the bottlenose dolphin, one of over 30 species, that engages in acts of aggression and "gang" rape, which the females do not appear to enjoy I might add. There are reports of this aggressive behaviour increasing over the last 10 years .... anything to do with dwindling fish stocks and starving marine life
???
If this is the case the Bottlenose species will be one of the last cetacian survivors if we humans do not change our ways.

The ever increasing demand for fish in human society has created a massive issue for the world fish supply. It is expected that by 2048 that many fish stocks will become extinct. At the moment, there are certain types of fish that are suffering more than others; however, at the current rate of fishing all types could face possible extinction. In order to replenish the ocean's fish supply, consumer awareness must become a top priority so that people can begin to make the immediate changes necessary to protect our oceans.
www.squidoo.com...

HOW MUCH DAMAGE HAS HUMAN FISHING DONE TO THE OCEAN? We thought we could fish forever, because the sea was a limitless protein mine.

But ocean life is dying back in unexpected ways: although there are fewer fish and other sea animals, more of them are starving, while waves of 'sickness' spread as primitive microbes gain the upper hand.
www.fisherycrisis.com...

The grey whales are also starving they eat mainly crustaceans such as amphipods and tube worms, found in bottom sediments of the ocean.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Everything else in the ocean depends directly or indirectly on phytoplankton. The reduction in phytoplankton is not due to oceanic warming, but instead to overfishing.
notrickszone.com...

In the last 20 years 5 million penguins have vanished from the Falkland Island ... died of Starvation
www.falklands.net...

If you do a search you'll be amazed at how much our Oceans are in trouble, and that will mean huge trouble for all life on this planet.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by forklift

Obviously, we should have NO trouble extending this respect to other animals, not just dolphins and whales. After all, even non-living corporations are considered legal persons.

I believe animals have 'spirits,' as do plants (but not corporations). I rely on eating living things to maintain my own life, and prefer to eat those with strong, free, 'wilder' spirits for better health. I say thank you to the life that was given to allow mine to continue, and respect the circle of life.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Everything on this planet deserves the same rights as humans. We do not own the monopoly to life on earth. It's high time we, as a species realised that, and stopped thinking that we have the right to kill and or maim anything we desire. It makes me absolutley fume when people say utter crap like "but we breed them to eat" so what? Do you think they(animals) want to be eaten? Do yout hink that they're ok with it? Would you be? Be careful, becasue you never know, you could come back as an abused animal in squallid conditions, tortured for human lulz.

See how funny you all think it is then.

Some species only exist because we have cross bred for food purposes - like pigs and cows. So what do you suggest we do with them? Not sure i understand your argument to be honest. Frankly, we are omnivores and DO have the right to eat pretty much whatever the hell we fancy. That's the beauty about being top of the food tree.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should, Mr. IThinkI'mtheTopoftheFoodChain

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by decepticonLaura

Yeah ummm your cocyxx is not a tail.. and the nickname 'tailbone' is wrong too...... Maybe if you read a bit more about it, you would find out its used for some very important muscle functions. If you didnt have it.....well lets say you would be sorry and you couldnt go the bathroom the way you used to.

Oh yeah and id like to say, if its soo useless then why don't you take it out? Its vestigial and all according to the so called scientists who know so much. I would laugh to see the day someone does it, and then finds out they cant go drop a turd, and then for some reason their sex life would nearly dimminish to zero with no more muscles to work properly cause the support was removed.

Heres one answer of many
www.av1611.org...

The tail bone isn't where your monkey tail used to be, as Darwinians believe, but it instead provides support for the muscles which control elimination.

www.answersingenesis.org...

The Tailbone
The tailbone or coccyx has often been presumed to be vestigial and a leftover remnant to our alleged mammal and reptilian ancestors who also had tails. Evidence that is cited includes the variable number of bony segments humans can have (usually 4 but can be 3 or 5) as well as “babies born with tails.” But these so called tails are not really tails at all and instead are a type of fatty tumor. There are no bones or muscles in them at all, and thus, it cannot truly be considered a vestigial organ.5

Spinney acknowledges that the coccyx now has a “modified function, notably as an anchor point for the muscles that hold the anus in place.” In fact, the coccyx is the anchor point for the muscles that form the entire pelvic diaphragm. Therefore, while the coccyx has a clear function in humans today, the only reason to claim that the function has been modified is because of evolutionary assumptions. If you believe that humans descended from animals that possessed tails, then there must have been a modification of the tailbone. In contrast, if our ancestor Adam was created by God then there was no modification, and our tailbone is just as it always was. Without the evolutionary presupposition, the evidence that the tailbone is vestigial evaporates.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ideasarebulletproof

Well if I cant prove my belief that our Creator Yahuwah made everything, hes is ruler of this universe and hes given us time to understand and change, then you cant prove that the universe is 20 billion years old, then is sounds like we have the same belief.

Evolution is a religion or belief. You have to believe it, cause it doesnt work. Its unprovable, its nonsense and well just honestly stupid.

Id rather believe we were made for a purpose, and our Almighty Creator wants us to obey Him cause He is master over all, and that if we want to avoid going to eternal punishment, we better obey his commands.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Sorry to incorrage this off topic post...

Evolution is a religion or belief. You have to believe it, cause it doesnt work. Its unprovable, its nonsense and well just honestly stupid.

Ummm, where did you get that idea from. Evolution is a theory, like most "fundimental truths" but I am fairly sure it been "proven". If over a matter of years and generations some finches grow longer beaks than other opening up new food sorces, is this not evolution? When the indusrial revolution started pumping coal soot over woodlands, the popullation of black butterflys/ moths boomed while the population of white one fell. wouldnt you consider this natural selection? or does god just have a grudge against white moths and short beaked finches?....

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by forklift

Dont you think its egotistical to apply our laws on another species? When they hire there own lawyers and establish there own courts and demand legal status then they show they want to adopt are laws . Until that day occurs they are on there own. I love dolphins and think we should protect them, They have shown a willingness to even interact with humans.But they aren't human and there fore our laws should not apply to them.
edit on 3/10/12 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
When an animal turns to me and says "Don't shoot me bro!" Then I might spare it. As long as it's not a parrot. Does the animal predators care when they kill another animal for sustenance? Why should I? I respect life, and am thankful to those living that give their life for mine make no mistake. But if for no reason more, I was put here to survive, and that means taking life to keep my own going.

To the veggies out there, if a brocoli would start screaming when you picked it, would you still eat it?

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join