It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins 'Deserve Same Rights As Humans'

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by doubledutch

i guess the question is would you kill something that you knew was equal to you in terms of intelligence or self awareness? I know I wouldnt

If it is okay to eat the stupid......

Do you eat retarded people?

I'm not saying we should. Just in a survival situation......as an ethical question, should we eat the stupid first?

edit on 22-2-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This reminds me of a certain Simpsons episode...

Night of the Dolphin
"While at Springfield's Marine World, Lisa takes pity on the star attraction — a dolphin named Snorky, whose trainers let him be humiliated and forced to do demeaning stunts for the crowd's amusement. After Snorky's latest show, Lisa sets the dolphin free to swim in the ocean. Unbeknownst to Lisa, Snorky organizes the world's dolphins into an army to destroy humanity."
en.m.wikipedia.org...

Fortunately for us, they don't have "frickin laser beams attached to their heads".

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Just thought I'd point out the Cetaceans ARE not included in the section of the Bible that some people quote as providing them with the Moral backing to treat non humans as they see fit. It appears the Abrahamic religions have an exclusion clause for these creatures.

Genesis 1:26

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.

Other Marine mammals actually come onto to land .....(except Sirenians..Dugong/Manatee)...and they certainly do not creep in the water ....

I just thought this was interesting ....

Anyone an Arabic reader here that can confirm if this is the same in the Quaran ?

link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by BrianDamage
Humans kill humans every day, so by all means, give dolphins the same rights as us.

When all living things have a sit down and work out a plan for not killing each other, then fair enough, but as long as there is a food chain, I will continue to sit down and munch on dolphin sushi and panda burgers.

You do realize that Dolphins cannot "sit down and work out a plan for us not to kill them?" I mean they might succeed better than you might in any thing requiring reasoning skills but most other people are smarter than dolphins. You keep right on eating though because the most important thing on the planet has to be your gut but in that remember that bigger does not always mean better. Heart attack yak yak.
And presumably people are telling you you're eating panda and dolphin cause I know you are not catching your own...well, they are lying to you friend. Wasn't all that difficult was it? It is tuna and beef and you are just PAYING FOR Panda and Dolphin.
See ya later brains.

Wow, what an impressive post, you didn't actually make any point, apart from sort of disagreeing with me without giving any of your own theories to counteract mine, but really good anyway.

Ok, just for you, i'll cut out the attempt at humour.
Human rights are a farce, they only exsist when it suits. What use would it be to give dolphins a farcical set of rights that humans themselves don't adhere to?
Secondly, why give so called rights to a different species just because it shows intelligence? Cancer cells show intelligence, why not give them special rights too?

Why is it always the cute and cuddly creatures that need special treatment? When do the ugly daft buggers get a break?

Whether we like it or not, we are part of the food chain.

link   
reply to post by forklift

Yes they respond to stimuli that includes attacks. The plants send out a chemical message throughout the plant cells which causes them to create a bad tasting chemical in hopes a predator will leave them alone. I don't know about the sounds but I do know about the chemical messaging system they possess.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBlackman

It does say over all the Earth, that would mean over everything on the planet. Thus the dolphins would be included in that passage.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Until we learn to treat humans like humans, dolphins need to get to the back of the line...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
"food-chain-logic"

I'm going to start killing/eating everyone that is weaker/less intelligent than me. When i get caught i will just blame nature and claim that i am on top of the food chain...

Ye don't think it works like that.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Dolphin's kill Porpoises

Not as cute as they are purported to be.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Devern
"food-chain-logic"

I'm going to start killing/eating everyone that is weaker/less intelligent than me. When i get caught i will just blame nature and claim that i am on top of the food chain...

Ye don't think it works like that.

Why would you choose to limit your options so severely? You don't even understand food chain or logic.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maponos
Cool, do Dolphins deserve the right to vote too? If so, Ron Paul should change his name to Eeee---EEEeeeeeeE

Now that made me laugh.

ALL DOLPHINS FOR RON PAUL SAY HIS NEW NAME!!!! Eeee---EEEeeeeeeE

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

i guess the question is would you kill something that you knew was equal to you in terms of intelligence or self awareness? I know I wouldnt

I'm not saying we should. Just in a survival situation......as an ethical question, should we eat the stupid first?

I don't eat disabled people (using the word retarded isnt really cool these days, makes you look a bit retarded :up

you missed my point, it's not about clever or 'retarded'

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Unless a dolphin can have a conversation with me and reply as well as emotionally connect with me. Oh i forgot, they must be able to ponder reasoning and sound thought.

If they cant do this , then im gonna eat it.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Seems like the world is becomming more and more stupid every day...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by forklift

Exemption from cannibalism is not a right. Placentophagy for instance is cannibalism and in practiced in many places.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
BREAKING NEWS!!!!. They are going to grant full human rights to puppies and unicorns also.......... and bunny rabbits......... and anything else that's cute.If it's had it's own TV series and is cute, it's got human rights now.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Do dolphins believe in gay marriage??

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by doubledutch

Originally posted by butcherguy

I don't eat disabled people (using the word retarded isnt really cool these days, makes you look a bit retarded :up

you missed my point, it's not about clever or 'retarded'

That's fine, but you still could have answered my question re: the ethics of eating the 'mentally challenged' first. How's that politically correct version of retarded?

So you would not kill anything that is equal to you in intelligence or self awareness, you didn't say that you would kill something that is lesser, but it is implied.

You may have missed a subtle point that I was making, and it was about your post (equal intelligence) and retarded.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

However, are they like us? Really? And for an intelligent species, i can't help thinking they are good at swimming into tuna nets!

As far as I know dolphins work cooperatively with tuna fish to catch other sorts of fish, but get caught because of the tuna leads them into the nets..

I do think high evolved species should have almost the equal right as humans, until they can communicate with us on the same level with us to get full rights...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by forklift

A team of experts has said dolphins should be given the same rights to life and liberty as humans because of their high levels of intelligence and self-awareness.

Scientists meeting in Canada were told the mammals deserved to be treated as non-human "persons" who were given the same ethical considerations as humans.

A small group of experts in philosophy, conservation and dolphin behaviour were canvassing support for a "Declaration of Rights for Cetaceans".

It is hoped recognising cetaceans' rights could mean an end to whaling and the captivity of dolphins and whales, or their use in entertainment.

Sky news

I like this idea -- it does not need to be carried to absurdity, i.e. voting rights for dolphins.

But Cetaceans as a protected species would help minimize (and maybe eventually eliminate) their abuse -- such things as being used as food or being held in captivity (only for their protection could this be justified).

As much as I love Japanese things, I am sickened by the fact that they still slaughter Cetaceans as food -- especially dolphins. (I think the Norwegians also still hunt whales?)

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join