It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins 'Deserve Same Rights As Humans'

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Even if we theoretically give dolphins the same rights as humans sometime in far future, their status will surely be similar to human children or severely mentally retarded people. No voting, no entering contracts, no criminal responsibility etc.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Well, if a corporation is a person with rights then I guess we gotta give dolphins rights as well.
second line.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Animals are very smart - this vid knocked me...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
How about this:

If we can develop a reliable communication method with the animal and it can then tell us itself what it wants, like rights for example, then we should move to accomodate that...

The chances are strong and part-way proven that certain animals are already capable of this, like Dolphins, Elephants and Gorillas, all capable of advanced communication of abstract ideas.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
if your a vegetarian then why do you eat all the animals food? and as for the people saying whats next no eating cows,fish, lamb etc etc etc. the topic is about intelligent animals. not others. i dont eat dolphins so i dont mind if this happens but i highly doubt it ever would. another reason why i dont eat calamari. they are very intelligent as well.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
well I haven't read the thread (sry dont have time) but I do have an opinion on this... i think it's great! What they are acknowledging is that dolphins and whales have the same level of consciousness as us, are as self aware as us and therefore should be treated like us.

(op eating dolphin wouldn't make you a cannibal, they are not human!)

Personally I'd be happy for all animals to be treated like this.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
what about the fish dolphins eat .. will they be protected to and turn dolphins to veggies? *looks at dolphin as it rips apart its food to eat* . .. killer whales arguably just as intelligent yet they play with there food before they kill it .. will they have right to? .. leave us meateaters alone and stick to ure iron supplements . . ...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by gabbermatt

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by forklift

However, are they like us? Really? And for an intelligent species, i can't help thinking they are good at swimming into tuna nets!

Ever walk in to a glass door?

Just sayin....
Hmmmmm, then you kept walking into the glass door over and over again? Or you opened it?

Hence the difference between humans and dolphins.

ETA: Maybe decepticonlaura can read this and tell about how great these dolphins reason things out.

edit on 22-2-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

For arguments sake let's say glass doors wrap around you and prevent escape. =) And even then, I'm sure you've only EVER walked into a single glass door. Or how about spider webs? Maybe spider webs would be a better example. You know how hard it is to get a good web off once you've walked in to it.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Longshots

You are totally f-ing ignorant. Can dolphins fight for freedom? Can they organize a government? Can they do anything but chirp and blow air out their holes? Come on, hug a tree if you want, but let me eat my dolphin meat.

Read my posts again and you will see who the ignorant is.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
thats why I advocate that all humans have their dna spliced so that we can photosynthesise in order to suppliment our diets !
That way we wont have to kill as many animals and over fish , and also reduce the amount of intense farming.

We already have mitochondria from symbiosis , our nervous system was supposedly taken from the plant world !
the sea slug which ate so much photosynthesising algae , eventually replicated the chlorophyl itself , therefore over time it adapated and now just needs to sit in the sun , but is still classed as an animal!
We too should adopt this !

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

sat·ire: [sat-ahyuhr] , noun

1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
3. a literary genre comprising such compositions.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

Yes, there can be no question that Dolphins are more intelligent than humans. Just look at their standardized test scores...especially in areas of study like advanced mathematics, engineering, and computer programming. When was the last time you saw Jay Leno interview a dolphin on the street who wasn't able to name the first President of the United States or know the proper century that WWII occurred in?

IT NEVER HAPPENS!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

Of course! What could go wrong with allowing DARPA scientists to fidget around with our DNA and turn us into a chimeric hybrid species? Brilliant!

I'm sure that while the Vegan version of Dr. Moreau is second-guessing a billion years or so of natural selection and incremental adaptation, he will be wholly free of corruption and malicious intent, instead doing only what is just and right and treating others as he would wish to be treated.

That's what usually happens when mankind uses technology to relieve the inconvenience of adapting consumption and/or comfort...right?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

No. The dumbest dolphin is always smarter than even the most intelligent human. How else do you think they taught us calculus?

Our dolphindae betters will simply allow us to THINK that we have afforded them the status of cognitively impaired children because they are so clever. Moreover, since they are uniformly benevolent they don't want to hurt our feelings by rubbing in how smart they are.

Sneaky dolphins.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Well...in today's world Dolphins would have to pay tax like everybody else to get basic human rights...after all...Human beings are the only creatures in this world who have to pay to live on this planet.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by gabbermatt

For arguments sake let's say glass doors wrap around you and prevent escape. =) And even then, I'm sure you've only EVER walked into a single glass door. Or how about spider webs? Maybe spider webs would be a better example. You know how hard it is to get a good web off once you've walked in to it.

For arguments sake, let's say that dolphins are able to jump out of water.

Let's also say that they have eyes and echolocation.

Let's also say that spider webs are nearly invisible compared with tuna nets.

Then let's say that dolphins.... the super intelligent creatures that they are, aren't smart enough to jump over the net.

As far as walking into a glass door.... if I am doing what the dolphins are doing, I would have to walk into the same door repeatedly. Maybe you have done that, but I haven't.... something about learning from mistakes.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

I'm surprised that this isn't getting support here, I thought we were at least semi-civilized here but it seems not, They're talking about ethical considerations for DOLPHINS not goldfish, chickens, or homosexuals, DOLPHINS who have been proven to possess incredible intellect superior to nearly every other creature on the planet, why shouldn't they have some rights, besides who honestly eats Dolphin aside from maybe island cultures?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I agree. However, I think the human consequences for murder might be a little harsh.

If you're not going to eat, you shouldn't kill. If you're going to eat, you should be allowed to kill whatever you want.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by blah yada

I've been saying that for years. The practice of "grilling" our food is no less barbaric than witch-burning. Likewise...isn't it time we stopped persecuting charcoal and using it selfishly filter OUR water whilst leaving nothing but heavy metals, pollutants, and toxicity behind for our inanimate carbon-kin?

You would never catch a dolphin doing that, given their superior intellect. Why do you think all of history's greatest artists, scientists, philosophers, sages, and literary figures have ALL been dolphins?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

Our bodies are subject to genetic mutation in nature anyways , whose to say our next step in evolution isnt the mastery of our genetic code ! Who says evolution has to be natural , if its a code , then surely it was meant to be deciphered and used as necessary.
We should show nature our gratitued by becoming one with nature and relvieving our need for food , when all we need is sunlight !

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join