It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins 'Deserve Same Rights As Humans'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

A team of experts has said dolphins should be given the same rights to life and liberty as humans because of their high levels of intelligence and self-awareness.

Scientists meeting in Canada were told the mammals deserved to be treated as non-human "persons" who were given the same ethical considerations as humans.

A small group of experts in philosophy, conservation and dolphin behaviour were canvassing support for a "Declaration of Rights for Cetaceans".

It is hoped recognising cetaceans' rights could mean an end to whaling and the captivity of dolphins and whales, or their use in entertainment.

Sky news

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Couldn't believe when i saw this first thing in the morning, same rights as humans???

So killing or eating a dolphin would be classified as murder/cannibalism?

This has been taken to a new level and one can see this eventually being implemented on other animals too in the near future.

I rather die than going full veggie.

What do you guys think of this?

edit on 21-2-2012 by forklift because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by forklift

Tough one for me too to be honest.

On the one hand, i totally like and respect dolphins - they are just very cool animals.

However, are they like us? Really? And for an intelligent species, i can't help thinking they are good at swimming into tuna nets!

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Cool, do Dolphins deserve the right to vote too? If so, Ron Paul should change his name to Eeee---EEEeeeeeeE

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

On one side they are bombing the whole world to extinction and on the other side they want to give dolphins humans rights. LOL

Maybe they should give humans their rights first and leave the food alone for now.

I can't even imagine no fish, chicken or lamb.

I don't wana go to my local takeaway to order some 'carrot and chips' instead of 'fish n chips'.

+19 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Everything on this planet deserves the same rights as humans. We do not own the monopoly to life on earth. It's high time we, as a species realised that, and stopped thinking that we have the right to kill and or maim anything we desire. It makes me absolutley fume when people say utter crap like "but we breed them to eat" so what? Do you think they(animals) want to be eaten? Do yout hink that they're ok with it? Would you be? Be careful, becasue you never know, you could come back as an abused animal in squallid conditions, tortured for human lulz.

See how funny you all think it is then.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Everything on this planet deserves the same rights as humans. We do not own the monopoly to life on earth. It's high time we, as a species realised that, and stopped thinking that we have the right to kill and or maim anything we desire. It makes me absolutley fume when people say utter crap like "but we breed them to eat" so what? Do you think they(animals) want to be eaten? Do yout hink that they're ok with it? Would you be? Be careful, becasue you never know, you could come back as an abused animal in squallid conditions, tortured for human lulz.

Some species only exist because we have cross bred for food purposes - like pigs and cows. So what do you suggest we do with them? Not sure i understand your argument to be honest. Frankly, we are omnivores and DO have the right to eat pretty much whatever the hell we fancy. That's the beauty about being top of the food tree.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Take it easy bro!

It's part of mother nature when one superior/predatory animal eats another animal to survive.

We are omnivores for a reason, we need nutrients from both sides to keep our balance.

This is a bloody Zionist conspiracy against meat eaters! For petes Sake!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

basically, what I am saying, is would you like to be killed and eaten? Would you like to have a bolt through the head, (which most of the time doesn't kill you) and then have your throat slit? Or would you like to have your hands and feet cut off, and then be skinned alive?

Anything which feels pain and fear, should have the same right to life as you or I do. Put yourself in their place, as a sentient being (who should have evolved away from such barbaric practices LONG ago, if we are to think of ourselves as inteligent) See if you can imagine that fear, and that pain, which these animals feel. Watch some animal torture videos (plenty about, the dog industry for instance, it's effing sick) see if you can put yourself in an animals way of thinking, try and have just 1 solitary ounce of empathy for other life forms.

canb't remember who said it, but it's right. "you can tell how far advanced a race is, by the way it treats those that have no voice"

And we as a human race are still barbarians. We are nothing more than cavemen with computers. With no empathy or conscience for those that live along side us. It's time we changed.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Well...IF humans keep breeding like they do, then we will have to start eating them too...as in a big cull...Thats Cullinary delight!!

Mmmm....Theres, Human Stew, Human Pot Bellys, Roast Human, Peking Human, Human Laronge, Human BBQ, Black Crackling humans (the New Guineans say this tastes the best), White crackling Humans, Yellow Crackling Humans, Human Prime ribs..etc etc Mmmmm.
Corse....then we can have the delicacy's......Human Brains, Human Eyeballs, Human Balls (he he), Human trotters, Human black puddin, Garlic Human wurst, Human tripe..yummmmm, thats Offal!!
I cant wait to get into a human, especially that there finger food....ooo yeah.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
Well...IF humans keep breeding like they do, then we will have to start eating them too...as in a big cull...Thats Cullinary delight!!

Mmmm....Theres, Human Stew, Human Pot Bellys, Roast Human, Peking Human, Human Laronge, Human BBQ, Black Crackling humans (the New Guineans say this tastes the best), White crackling Humans, Yellow Crackling Humans, Human Prime ribs..etc etc Mmmmm.
Corse....then we can have the delicacy's......Human Brains, Human Eyeballs, Human Balls (he he), Human trotters, Human black puddin, Garlic Human wurst, Human tripe..yummmmm, thats Offal!!
I cant wait to get into a human, especially that there finger food....ooo yeah.
Nothing wrong with that, we're just meat after all. And if we have the "right" to slaughter everythinng in our paths, then it's only our delusions of grandure which stop us from doing it to ourselves.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Two perfect examples of extremes above me.

One wants to go full vegie and the other wants to start eating humans.

That reminds me, haven't scientists proven that plants and trees can feel pain/cry too which the humans are not capable of hearing?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Dolphins are anti establishment

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
can you elaborate why going vegetarian is a form of extremism?

edit- eating flesh is far more extreme.
edit on 21/2/2012 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaLyps0
Dolphins are anti establishment

Than why is the establishment trying to give them rights?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Why don't you stop eating veg than?

They feel pain too you know?

Maybe you should start eating oxygenated bubbles.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by forklift

Why don't you stop eating veg than?

They feel pain too you know?

Maybe you should starting eating oxygenated bubbles.
That's also a bit too much for me. I try to survive by photosythasis only.

*sunbathes*

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by forklift

Yes but are they not giving them the same rights as us, the slaves as opposed to the rights the elite have such as the right to kill for money. The right to pay restitution for killing people drink driving instead of going to prison. The right to commit treason against your own nation for profit etc

I dont think the dolphins get them rights, just the right to not get eaten as much and a fair salary for the work they do in shows. What should the dolphin minimum wage be set at?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

We were designed to eat both veg and meat, otherwise we would all be herbivores.

Back to the topic

So what do you guys think about giving human rights to animals?

And how does one go about implementing such a law as ridiculous as it may sound?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Every living creatures should be treated respectfully

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join