It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My perfect bug out vechile...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

hehe, you can't buy that kind of brand loyalty.

I wasn't dissing your vehicle really, I was just pointing out that the Range Rover is the "posh" version of the Land Rover and that it is the latter you want if you live in the arse end of nowhere.

I grew up in a farming community in Scotland and everyone had proper Land Rovers (that my Dad repaired oddly enough) because that's what they were built for; farmers, emergency vehicles and the like. By comparison Range Rovers are very sleek and comfy to ride in. It would be a sin to use one like a Land Rover. I just wish my old man was still alive to teach me how to repair the things.

Hope I didn't make your blood boil too much, I keep forgetting that I have to be detailed in my explanations on this site.

Rev

edit on 21/2/2012 by revmoofoo because: My kingdom for mad spelling skills!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
UGH!!!

These silly "Here is my bug out vehicle" threads pop up every few months and I am STILL amazed at how few people understand what an actual BO situation will look like.

A few things to understand:
- If you are bugging out, thousands of other people are too. The roads will be gridlocked and fuel will be nearly impossible to secure.
- Assuming you are lucky enough to make it out of a city center, operational vehicles will be highly sought after and will be a TARGET!
- Vehicles of this nature will require "groomed" surfaces for travel and roadways are likely to be surveilled.

My bug-out vehicle is likely to consist of pair of well-worn hiking boots and a back-pack and, if lucky, perhaps a bicycle. These can travel virtually anywhere, do not require processed fuels and have the benefit of stealth.

I wish the rest of you good luck with your yaughts, tanks, RVs airplanes etc...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Thank you very much for your positive and informative response. It's always lovely to meet new folks.

Have a star for making my day.

Rev

edit on 21/2/2012 by revmoofoo because: ETA

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

ahhh, Scotland. Home of 1/3 of my ancestors. Replace the red stripe of your tartan, with yellow, and you have mine.

You're talking about the land rover defender models, I believe. I had to drive those as employer provided vehicles in the past. Even on the smoothest of surfaces, they often seemed to ride rough. I am a posh interior kind of fellow now that I'm approaching mid life or something like that. If it doesn't have heated, leather seats, it is not going to be my personal vehicle. The sleek design of my model has actually proven a benefit. I can cruise between trees and other obstacles that some wider vehicles can't.
edit on 21-2-2012 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

I called my range rover a bug out vehicle by accident, I suppose. I use it almost daily as an off road vehicle, and by off road I mean "what road". I'm just easily excitable about driving off road. I'm staying put for most situations, but there are many reasons a person would want to get out of town.

Actually, I suppose my family has already bugged out by leaving Iwaki, Fukushima, Japan. In that instance my bug out vehicle was a military C-5 that my wife and I managed to "hop" onto.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

I think you're right as it happens. It's been ages since I've driven a Land Rover or anything else. They do rattle you around a great deal. Don't all Americans have a 3rd of their ancestry in Scotland? Maybe it just seems that way as I heard it loads when I was studying for ordination in the US.

Which clan are you related to? I'm descended from the Gunn clan on both sides of my family.

Rev

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I proudly say that I am of the House of Gordon. The other 2/3 of my ancestors are Native American, but I am blessed with green eyes. I say blessed because they have been the source of many compliments from the ladies.

The Jeep vehicle that was the basis of the OP, is something that would prove useful in my prospecting activities. However, I don't expect to have enough extra cash to purchase one before I give up the hobby. It was supposed to be an activity to increase my health, but it turns out that gold fever will run the body down quickly.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

I went to school with a few Gordon's as it happens.
It's such a small world really.

Rev

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
Be prepared to defend this car.. Many are going to try to attack you for it

Yeah. Can you special order one with a machinegun turret?
(I didn't see one in all of those different configurations.)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I want to slap one of these on an f150 with the crew cab and a canopy. Tons of room in the bed of the truck for your crap, relatively safe place to sleep on top. I like it.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'd go for the 1982 Volvo 240 DL Wagon with roof rack.
Diesel
Easy to repair
Blends in
Theft Proof (no gangstas want an old 240)
Cop proof (slow)
good cargo capacity
Cool!

Remington 870 under the surf board.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

You need a ducati.com..., it has four travel modes. including a 100 hp city mode, saves gas big time, able to go on/off road at will, even the tires are built as dual purpose. I like the touring version, in carbon black. Or a bicycle with a trailer.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by timmhaines

That's a sweet bike! I may keep it in mind for when my wife's medication runs out.

Rev

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Also, older Volvo's are built like tanks. I had a crash in a Volvo and the van that hit us was waaaaay worse off than the Volvo.

Rev

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Originally posted by Hellas
Be prepared to defend this car.. Many are going to try to attack you for it

Yeah. Can you special order one with a machinegun turret?
(I didn't see one in all of those different configurations.)

Mad Max stylee! I like that.

Rev

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
My bug out vehicle is 1986 M1009 Military blazer with a 6.2 diesel engine. I normally only use it in the winter and sometimes when we go camping or fishing during the summer months. I cant find any pictures on my laptop other than this one.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
the perfect bug out vehicle is a horse...

consider the road blocks, traffic jams, lack of gas and highway robbery in a true SHTF event...personally I want to stay away from the roads and out of sight of anyone until the anger phase of the public has subsided.

<< 1   >>

join