It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My perfect bug out vechile...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Hello all

I usually don't make posts in this forum as my survival skills are just basic military level, so I don't have a lot to share compared to a lot of you. That said, when I saw this this morning I thought "How cool is that?" and just had to share.

This has to be one of the best commercial Jeep conversions I've seen in a while and I would love the Land Rover equivalent for when TSHTF.

Please feel free to share similar vehicles on this thread as I love seeing different conversion projects.

Rev

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
That is actually pretty cool, its a rv only more convient for 2 people.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by iKnowWhatISeen

That's exactly what I thought...though, I'd rather live in it alone. Just don't tell my wife.

Rev

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Love it .. thats my kind of VEHICULE

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by revmoofoo
reply to post by iKnowWhatISeen

Just don't tell my wife.

Lmaoo, your secret is safe with me

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Someone on a different forum suggested this link as well. I must say, I do like the idea of something more heavy duty, but I don't think I'd ever be able to find enough fuel for those vehicles.

Rev

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Something like this. I don't plan on fighting for 10 square feet of mud on top of a hill.
I reckon I'll take my chances on the high seas, plenty of food, unlimited water. (polyethylene sheet will make a great purifier).
All I need are some fishing kit, guns and my pirate flag. Arrr!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

I'd love to be able to go the sea route, but that's waaaaaaaaay outta my price range. That's a beautiful vessel though.

Rev

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

Way outta mine, too.
If tshtf then I'm stealing one.
Sails will work for a lot longer than a diesel, too. :-)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Mine can be found tied to my dock, it has sails and a sculling oar, never runs out of gas so long as the wind blows. Another nice feature is, no one can walk into my camp when anchored in mangroves.
Oh yea, if my boat is not big enough there are many others for the taking if tshtf.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Be prepared to defend this car.. Many are going to try to attack you for it

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'm glad I took the time to read your thread. That vehicle is just awesome.

You mentioned Land Rover, and that got me thinking about my bug out vehicle. I have a 2002 Land Rover Range Rover. Folks here in my parts of Oregon laughed when "Hollywood"
first rolled up here from California in his Range Rover. I've driven that vehicle many places people swore I couldn't get to. I've also pulled many a stuck vehicle back to safety with it. It is a vehicle that will get you there and back (with a lot of maintenance/repair).

The maintenance/repair part is why I am posting. I've had to change so many things in the field on my rover, and luckily I have enough mechanical know how to slide by. I've had to use a log cut to go in the place of a busted air suspension air bag, use a piece of shoe leather to fix the suspension air compressor, and a few other field repairs to get out of jams. Now, I have a fair collection of spare parts that I take with me as I go cruising through the wilderness. Yes, they take up space, but it's better than being stuck somewhere. I imagine in a bug out situation, it is even more important to be prepared for breakdown of your vehicle. AAA may not be around to bail you out, and the auto parts store might not be open for while.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
How do you guys figure in a "bug out" situation you will have access to FUEL?

You are relying on the giant system that provides you with fuel, lashing you to themselves with chains you apparently cannot even see or feel.

The sailboat is the only way to go. It is the ONLY type of transport in this world so far that doesn't rely on an external fuel source. Even a horse needs food for FUEL. The sailboat is by definition a free energy machine.

I already live on my boat. It's big. Big enough for ten people if I want them. I've got generators, too, but when I run out of fuel, I've got a full solar array and two wind generators, supplying me with power to run lights and, most importantly, the WATERMAKER.

I could leave RIGHT NOW, and be set for at least six months without touching land. Tons of fishing gear, water catching, and I can travel burning no fuel. It's almost impossible to find even a big ship in the sea without a definite idea of where it is and where it is going. If I don't tell anyone where I am going, there is NO WAY they could ever find me, having no idea which direction I went.

And NO ONE less than a military warship can attack me. I can repel anything short of rockets and mortars. A cigarette boat full of pirates? Bring it on, mofos.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
I'm glad I took the time to read your thread. That vehicle is just awesome.

You mentioned Land Rover, and that got me thinking about my bug out vehicle. I have a 2002 Land Rover Range Rover. Folks here in my parts of Oregon laughed when "Hollywood"
first rolled up here from California in his Range Rover. I've driven that vehicle many places people swore I couldn't get to. I've also pulled many a stuck vehicle back to safety with it. It is a vehicle that will get you there and back (with a lot of maintenance/repair).

The maintenance/repair part is why I am posting. I've had to change so many things in the field on my rover, and luckily I have enough mechanical know how to slide by. I've had to use a log cut to go in the place of a busted air suspension air bag, use a piece of shoe leather to fix the suspension air compressor, and a few other field repairs to get out of jams. Now, I have a fair collection of spare parts that I take with me as I go cruising through the wilderness. Yes, they take up space, but it's better than being stuck somewhere. I imagine in a bug out situation, it is even more important to be prepared for breakdown of your vehicle. AAA may not be around to bail you out, and the auto parts store might not be open for while.

Yup. Those Rovers are well known as pieces of junk that break down every day or two. Everyone I know who has had one said the same thing. How do you figure that is any good?

And of course, when you run out of fuel after a day or two, then what? It's a big heavy paperweight, basically.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

I've been prospecting in the mountains around my current residence, and have located an adequate place for me to bug out to. It won't take much fuel for me to get there. However, I have no real intention to bug out. My house itself is probably sufficient enough to ride out almost anything, considering how remote is. I already chase people off my property for kicks, and it's fairly defensible property.

Then again, I am remembering why I have lived less than half my life in my native U.S. , and suspect I will be going back to Iwaki very soon.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Yeah, I agree it's the biggest pile of crap I've ever had the displeasure of owning. I fix something on it everyday. My wife wanted it when we first moved to the U.S,. together. She had seen it in a movie.

However, I am pleased with how it will get me there, especially when others can't get there themselves.
edit on 21-2-2012 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

The point I was trying to make is that if you do bug out, you need to think about repairs. Your mention of the fuel is also very important. I already go on an almost daily basis to place I suspect others dream to bug out to. If I have to bug out, it will be well beyond there.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
They all seem to be top heavy, with the exception of the sailboats of course.
I normally go where jeeps have a hard enough time without a ton of weight attached to their roof.
One of these is a rollover waiting to happen.
I sure hope nobody is in the fiberglass area when it happens.
I like my boots, they were the original and still best BOV on the market.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

When it comes to fuel a simple hand pump could be used to get every last drop of fuel out of the pumps, but I see where you're coming from. I only need my bug out solution to last as long as my wife's health does (without her medication she'll die quite quickly) and then, when I'm on my own I have another plan that I haven't shared with anyone.

Rev

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Land Rovers are a bit tougher than the Range Rover (which is a bit of a townie/yuppie vehicle...sorry. lol) as a general rule and over here they're mostly used by farmers and people who actually need 4x4's rather than people who drive 4x4's as a status symbol. Living in/near London I see people driving these (also referred to as a Chelsea Tractors) every day, which is a total joke really.

You're right though, knowing how to maintain a vehicle is very important and I'm still learning.

Rev

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

**Disclaimer: I am not endorsing this vehicle. I'd rather have a pick up truck**

Range Rover is a Land Rover model. For my model year, it was the most durable Land Rover that was available in the U.S., and has the greatest towing capacity. My model is also the last year of what they call the P-38a. I'll admit that I know nothing about Land Rovers in the UK or Australia, despite having lived in both places. Maintained, the P-38a is an off road workhorse. The most serious issue is the air suspension system, which most people have replaced with a coil spring suspension system. Land Rover actually did a recall to replace the air springs with coil springs. It was not a safety issue, but a maintenance issue. I prefer the air suspension system, and feel lucky t have found one with it intact. It has 4 adjustable heights and it will raise the body an additional few inches above the highest setting if the vehicle senses that it is caught up on something from underneath.

The main problems with my model year are the air suspension and the vehicle immobilizer/alarm. For the second problem, people often return to a vehicle that has been immobilized for who knows what reason. I simply do not lock it or turn on the alarm, as I don't care.

The frame is highly durable on my vehicles, and the engine has never given me an issue. I've put 80k miles on it in the 12-14 months that I've own it. I bought it when my wife and I were visiting the U.S. and she wished to explore the deserts of Southern California, Arizona, and New Mexico. Since then, we have come to live in the U.S. and it is rough to reach my house without a 4x4 vehicle. Everyone who gives my vehicle a close inspection expresses how surprised they are at the frame and engine. Now that I am in Oregon, I have also cut out the CA emissions, and have even greater engine power.

Other than the 2 problems I mentioned, I believe that any other problem a range rover owner has is due to lack of proper maintenance. Land Rover mechanics are not cheap at around $300+ an hour for labor. Almost any brand of vehicle will need constant repair if it is not maintained properly, and I've owned one of just about every brand found around the world during my lifetime. Most people probably do not take their land rover off road. If the air suspension system is intact, it is a great highway vehicle also. The body can be lowered to the height of a sports for highway driving.

I can't believe I put so much energy into defending this vehicle I loathe, but that is how confident I am in it's ability to perform.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join