It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quran Burning: Angry Afghans Protest Disposal Of Islamic Books At U.S. Air Base In Kabul

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jed001

I completely agree, but considering all of the meddling we have done in that area of the world, I am sure anything that we do will be highly scrutinized. Honestly, most of the Middle East would be peaceful for the most part if we didn't keep bombing, invading, sanctioning, covertly overthrowing dictators to set new ones up in power, and doing it all with an arrogance about us. Why would they trust what we say or do? They know our own media lies to us. They know they much of us are greedy and materialistic. They most of us are ignorant these days. If the Middle East and the America's roles were switched, we would be pissed off too.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Sad to see Enlilites destroying the great books and infighting with each other. Wonders how Lord ENLIL feels about this??

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by daaskapital

Would you be posting the same comments if it was Bibles being accidently burned?

No I do not think you would be.

As a matter of fact, i would, i am not Islamic, however, i have respect for all religions and culture, so please do not judge based of a comment.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
After reading through this thread, it is clear that most the people do not understand the culture of the Middle East and how highly they regard their religion. To everyone despising the Muslim protests, go over there, see for yourself the way in which they regard the Quran, and their religion. I see comments that are saying it is just paper. Well, yes it is paper in the Western world's eyes, but do you know what, it is more than just paper to them, it is their life. Have an open mind and do not criticise a population because of their emotional ties with a religion.
edit on 21-2-2012 by daaskapital because: eta sp

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

The explanation is that the inmates were placing extremist notes to each other inside the books. If the notes were loose pieces of paper, then the notes could easily be removed and there would be no cause to dispose of the books, imo. However if they were writing in the books, then are they not displaying a flagrant disrespect of the very books they claim to hold dear? Some things seem irrational to me.
edit on 21-2-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface

The explanation is that the inmates were placing extremist notes to each other inside the books. If the notes were loose pieces of paper, then the notes could easily be removed and there would be no cause to dispose of the books, imo. However if they were writing in the books, then are they not displaying a flagrant disrespect of the very books they claim to hold dear? Some things seem irrational to me.
That's the thing, i don't think they would dare write in the Quran. I think that that excuse is just used to 'cover-up' the real reasoning behind the burning, which of course i don't know, but could have been because of stress, or hate towards the Afhani population. I wouldn't put it past the US military. Just look at the leak of the soldiers urinating on the dead bodies. I can see both sides, but they shouldn't show blatant disrespect for the population.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

And- if I were part of the US military and from a (more than likely) Christian background- what is the appropriate way to get rid of holy things without desecrating them? You burn them. Yep- that's right. Instead of throwing an old bible away that's falling apart, you can burn it. It's common knowledge in some Christian circles of how we appropriately get rid of such items, including sacramentals- and we don't dump holy water down the sink- we water our plants with it. Instead of throwing a US flag away, you can burn it too when it is old and raggedy. Distinctions are made between protest burning and respectful burning. No harm was likely meant.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I used to never put a mark in any book I owned, having been taught that in school and at home. However, as I got older I realized there was much value in a highlighter or a pencil and I began to make notes in those books I valued, including holy books, because I felt I was more attached to the item rather than its lessons and information. If their attachment is to their deity, then it does beg the question if their reverence for the book might not be excessive.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I used to never put a mark in any book I owned, having been taught that in school and at home. However, as I got older I realized there was much value in a highlighter or a pencil and I began to make notes in those books I valued, including holy books, because I felt I was more attached to the item rather than its lessons and information. If their attachment is to their deity, then it does beg the question if their reverence for the book might not be excessive.
I must say however, that writing notes to each other and the such is vastly different to highlighting sentences. But, as far as i am aware, the Muslims hold the Quran in high regard and wouldn't desecrate it at all.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LeSigh

You are talking about Christianity, we are talking about Islam. The Islamic people view things in a vastly different way to what the Westerners do, especially when it comes to religion. I have tried saying this many times, but 9/10 times, people don't want to listen. Their culture, and their way of life is vastly different to ours, and as such, the society in which they live has been dramatically affected by religious laws and great respect towards the Quran. Just because it is acceptable to burn a Bible in the Western World does not mean it is acceptable to burn a Quran.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeSigh

And- if I were part of the US military and from a (more than likely) Christian background- what is the appropriate way to get rid of holy things without desecrating them? You burn them. Yep- that's right. Instead of throwing an old bible away that's falling apart, you can burn it. It's common knowledge in some Christian circles of how we appropriately get rid of such items, including sacramentals- and we don't dump holy water down the sink- we water our plants with it. Instead of throwing a US flag away, you can burn it too when it is old and raggedy. Distinctions are made between protest burning and respectful burning. No harm was likely meant.

--->As the local imam told me last time muslims went bananas over quran burning: They don't know their religion. The only Halal way to destroy a copy of the holy quran is actually to burn it.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

xuenchen,
Thanks for your post. However I do second what a few others had to say about how if it waas intentional so be it up if not, there are scores of Qurans around your local area bookstores..
However I do not really think burning others bibles just for fun is neccessarry..especially since were already killing them thats probably enough..
Thanks for your share of your find!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
So our soldiers were forced to burn the Bible as trash, now because its their holy book and not ours its horrible and atrocious? I think not.

I wouldn't even apologize.
edit on 21-2-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Actually its just an excuse. It's not about the book. It's about killing people who don't agree with them. The ink on paper is just and excuse. Unless of course it really is Idol Worship and the book is the Idol they worship.

It does expose the mindset of radicals. Shows definitely that they are truly about hate and killing. I doubt most of them believe in the Quran in the first place.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LeSigh

With the flag, you must shred the material before disposing, otherwise your burning the flag and not the material.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Having been deployed to Bagram 2x in the past 3 years, I'm pretty sure that my fellow comrades did not do this on purpose. We are constantly reminded to uphold respect and courtesy to the locals so not to excite them and gain their trust. Bagram employs hundreds of locals to work on the base and offers them food and medical care.

It's more probable this was either done by accident or by insiders who wish to distort the image of the US and NATO military. The problem when stories like this breaks, is that you only hear the shocking or terrible ones that make up a very small percentage of what really goes on over there. You don't see a lot of humanitarian things we have done for the locals. Sure there are a few idiots and jerks in our ranks, but what military in the world doesn't?

However, I believe and support Ron Paul's foreign policy. Bring the troops home and maintain a strong National Defense through state militias (National Guard, Reserve Components) and activate only when our liberty and freedom is at stake, called upon by Congress as established by our Constitution.

Overall, most of us don't want to be there, don't believe we are still fighting for freedom as we are told, don't want more bloodshed. However, we are still soldiers and if told to go and fight then we shall keep our oath and fight, but trust me when I say that if we don't see an end to this war soon, there might not be many of us left to hear those orders.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis
Just another example of the idiotic idea of religion causing undo stress.

Religion is the major problem in the world today. Mankind has, hopefully, reached the point where idiotic religion can be cast aside and real advancement can begin.

Sucks that many still believe in fairy tales, but those ignorant morons should be disposed of so we can move on.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

See folks this is what tolerance gets you. The Poster I quoted above, and the muslims in Afghanistan are a perfect example of why tolerance isn't a virtue. Tolerance is nothing more then a ploy of would be tyrants, of cowards, to get their intended victims guard down so they can strike.

edit on 22-2-2012 by korathin because: Changed "This OP" to "The Poster..."

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by clarkness
reply to post by jed001

I completely agree, but considering all of the meddling we have done in that area of the world, I am sure anything that we do will be highly scrutinized. Honestly, most of the Middle East would be peaceful for the most part if we didn't keep bombing, invading, sanctioning, covertly overthrowing dictators to set new ones up in power, and doing it all with an arrogance about us. Why would they trust what we say or do? They know our own media lies to us. They know they much of us are greedy and materialistic. They most of us are ignorant these days. If the Middle East and the America's roles were switched, we would be pissed off too.

i have worked with a lot of people from the middle east and they welcome western culture. they like the fact that the US is getting involved in the middle east. i truly believe that the only people who don't want change in the middle east are the people that profit form things never changing

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Breaking news:

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- The Afghan Interior Ministry says seven people have been killed in clashes between Afghan security forces and protesters demonstrating against the burning of Muslim holy books at a NATO military base.

Top Commander of US and NATO forces says:

U.S. Gen. John Allen, the top commander of American and NATO forces in Afghanistan, said after the books had been mistakenly given to troops to be burned at a garbage pit without realizing it.

Then an anonymous military source says:

A Western military official with knowledge of the incident said it appeared that the copies of the Quran and other Islamic readings in the library were being used to fuel extremism, and that detainees were writing on the documents to exchange extremist messages. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information.

There's no way not to know the Quran, there's no way not to know what a Holy Book means to the people of it's faith. Now it's being blamed on extremist messages written in the books, you would think our military would pour over such messages instead of burning them. This seems like deliberate provocation to me. How'd it even get "leaked" if it wasn't meant to?

AP
edit on 22-2-2012 by Kali74 because: forgot link

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join