It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quran Burning: Angry Afghans Protest Disposal Of Islamic Books At U.S. Air Base In Kabul

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Originally posted by eyesdown
Is every copy of the quran really that sacred. It is just paper after all, and many more copies of the words can be found in all corners of the world. So why go mad about it, I would hope that if there is a God he transcends being just words on a piece of paper.
Are you kidding me? This has to be the most ignorant comment i have heard in ages. Do you have any idea of how sacred and respected Holy books are treated in religion, especially in Islam? Go and do some study before spewing out complete and utter ignorance please.

Wow wow calm down , I am asking openly. I am not stating as fact here. Would you like civil conversation or not. Maybe I should have said "does" every copy have to be so sacred. These are questions I am asking not saying lets all burn qurans willy nilly.

I am against that. I am really sick of people shouting "ignorant" everytime someone says something you don't like to hear. Of course I am aware of how important the quran is, and treat it with respect in my own home. But people lose their lives for this, they don't even know if this was intentional or not.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Put yourself in their shoes. The most important book in the world, being disposed of by burning from the people that are meant to be there to fix up your country and instill peace, and that you're meant to love. I'm sure that no highly religious person would like to see their holy book burnt, even if they are mass produced.
edit on 21-2-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

if the bible was burned by accident , i would not shoot slingshots at helicopters. once again the religion of peace and love shows its ugly side

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I don't think it is right to take a symbol of a people's religion and burn it. If we found American flags that we being burned as garbage, I am sure some people would take offense to that. When it comes to important symbols in many different belief systems, burning it as trash is not apart the normal procedure for getting rid of it. Yes, the book is made up of paper and ink. Our flag is made up woven fibers, but every time they burn the flag, it makes national news and we Americans somehow feel insulted. We even have our procedures of handling the flag and disposing of them, so how can say it does not matter about other people's symbols of belief? I personally find it horrible that we do any burning or any books out there. The written word is what lasts throughout the centuries. If it weren't for ink and paper, stone and chisel, and dye and weave, we wouldn't know much about our earth's history. There are always better ways. I am not saying that everyone should believe or agree with all the different views in the world, but we should respect each other's views enough not to blatantly step all over them. Why is it that America who supposedly the beacon for equality and fairness always find itself in these situations? Obviously we are not there ourselves, so why are we everywhere else in the world acting like we are the experts and foremost leading authority on equality and fairness when its very apparent that we are not?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by clarkness
I don't think it is right to take a symbol of a people's religion and burn it. If we found American flags that we being burned as garbage, I am sure some people would take offense to that.

i see it in the news all the time; the american flag being burned by someone. usually theses people are Muslim, does that give me the right to go and hurl rocks at the nearest Muslim temple.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Would you be posting the same comments if it was Bibles being accidently burned?

No I do not think you would be.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jed001

Exactly, British flags are burned also by Muslims. You do not see us in the UK taken to the streets demonstrating over it. Every day we see on our tv screens US and other country flags being burned.

As per usual this is being blown out of proportion by those who have a motive to create conflict between the Afghan Forces and the Coalition forces.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

And this comes from a religion which states it is peaceful, but yet they attack other religions. Hypocrites comes to ones mind.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It's just a damn book. It is full of error and it enslaves people.

We don't have the full story on why they were disposed of.
Whatever. Flame away.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This reminds me of a song called "Disco Inferno". I think you know the words. If they get to burn Bibles, we should be able to burn Qurans.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Couldn't the Americans have just given the books to some local villages?

Save a lot of bother.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

If I could I would give you 5 stars for that comment.

We call can see the double standards with regards to the religion which is called Islam.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
Would you be posting the same comments if it was Bibles being accidently burned?

Key word ... ACCIDENTLY ... Because some stupid books (and yes, I mean STUPID) get destroyed, accidently or not, that's NOT a reason for people to run around like a bunch of neanderthals threatening other people. If people accidently destroyed some bibles I wouldn't grab a torch and pitchfork. Bibles and rosaries and christian religious items are destroyed enmasse EVERY DAY in those Arab countries ... and no, the Christians there don't turn around and act like buffoons about it.

edit on 2/21/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I agree with that statement. Islam often passes itself off as a tolerant peaceful religion, yet at the same time you cannot be a Christian in an Islamic nation. They see no offense at the burning of a Bible. Yet they condemn the burning of a Quran. people really need to take a good look at the fruit that comes from the Quran as it is lived by the people who follow what it says, such as "kill the unbeliever, give him no rest, wherever he may be." Now that is a tolerant statement if I ever heard one.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Oh I know. But as per usual we have to treat them with Soft Gloves.

None of these books are important as some say they are anyways.

They are just books written and re-written by Individuals for their own perverted Ideologies. And the sheeple blindly follow their doctrines.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Some more details on the burned Qurans..

Official: Books burned in Afghanistan extremist

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A military official says Muslim holy books that were burned in a pile of garbage at a U.S. military base in Afghanistan had been removed from a library at a nearby detention center because they contained extremist messages or inscriptions.
A military official with knowledge of the incident told The Associated Press on Tuesday that it appeared the Qurans and other Islamic readings were being used to fuel extremism, and that detainees apparently were leaving notes for one another inside them.
The official, who did not want his nationality disclosed, spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the incident.

This certainly doesn't minimize the fact that they ended up in a burn pile, but it does shed some light on these particular Qurans.

Sounds like something a young Frank Burns would have done with them.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Those people are savages! So burning a piece of paper with ink on it is a legit reason to become violent and want to kill people? do this with a Christian bible and see what happens............nothing.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
If China occupied a part of the bible belt and burnt the bible there would be protests. Not to even begin to mention if China bombed your city, destroyed your house and killed your Mom the week before...

But I guess its a double standard if the USA is the one burning the books

I guess its alright if the USA bombs innocents too

Afghans have every right to be mad at us.
edit on 21-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Yet nobody gives a rat's ass when the US military INTENTIONALLY burns Bibles.

F'n PC wussies.

I like this guy's take on it

edit on 2/21/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
These people are still so backwards because of their religion. It doesn't allow for individuality or thinking for themselves. Furthermore it seems that those muslims in countries where absolutely no other entertainment is allowed are the most violent. All they ever do or think about is stuff from their holy book. Obviously they therefore have such an attachment to it. It is their whole world. I understand that.
However.
The world in other places has moved on. We have science explaining things to us that before could only be explained by large invisible forces. The problem is that religion is actually the problem of most conflict because it doesn't leave room to be evolved. It is a nasty meme that is keeping itself afloat by punishing the questioning of itself.
Yes, I can understand why muslims do not like to have their book burned but if you want to broaden your mind and enter a new era, you have to leave certain things behind.
At some point everyone has to make sacrifices in order to enter a new era of enlightenment. The transition will hurt because everything that was safety and comfort has to be left behind. What is not seen is, that there will be new comforts, new knowledge and new amazing things to find out.
Of course you can stay dim and stick with what you know but you only hold yourself back.

Most x-tians and a lot of moderate muslims around the world have adjusted to the modern world. They still believe but are not over obsessed about rituals. It is just those that do not allow themselves to get with the times.

If aliens came tomorrow and completely turned the world as we know it upside down, destroyed all TVs and cars and told us to speak a new language, because all these things stop us from evolving enough to join the interstellar society, it wouldn't be easy. Never watching TV again, never driving again, speaking a new language? A lot of people would find it hard to comply, foregoing the new experience and sticking with the things they know, rather than being part. But for those that want to broaden their horizons, it would be worth it and only a couple of generations later people would ask themselves why they didn't do it earlier.
Worst it would be if they told themselves that joining the enlightened way would somehow punish them.
Why can't we have both, would those stuck in their ways ask?
Because you can't handle both!

It is the same with extreme muslims. They have the chance to join modern times but doing so comes with sacrifices. You can't have it all. In order to enjoy modern life you have to adjust, the rules are different. If not you will never be able to truly be part.
To me it means not to overreact when their book is burned. Burning books is OK in the modern world, we know that nothing bad will happen and that we don't pi** off any gods. We burn books, that is what we do. We've been there done the other thing and that was a few 100 years ago. We have learned more since then.

In order to handle modern weapons, get along with open minded people, treat women right,, live amongst those who think differently you have to adjust and change some of your ways. Or it will be hard to handle these things right. Can you imagine going back in time and handing cars, guns, typewriters, lighters or modern ideas to medieval people in europe? Mayhem, that is what would happen. Try and let Vlad the Impaler or Ghengis Kahn have a nuclear bomb, ahh the fun .And this is exactly that is happening now in the middle east.
Extreme Religion + technology = $&*£!
So what's it to be, growing up and joining in or sticking with a book that means more than a human life and be miserable?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Soldiers burning books,sounds familiar,didnt that happen in Europe in the thirties?

History repeating.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join