It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran says UN nuke inspectors will not visit sites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Not Again !!

Iran says the inspection team is only there to "talk" ... again !

They have no plans to inspect the country's nuclear facilities ... again !

Feb 21, 3:30 AM EST -- AP

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman says a U.N. team visiting Iran has no plans to inspect the country's nuclear facilities but will only hold talks with officials in Tehran.

Ramin Mehmanparast says the experts from the International Atomic Energy Agency are holding discussions Tuesday in Tehran to "accelerate" cooperation with the U.N. watchdog. He says this cooperation is at its "best" level......

On Monday, Iranian radio said the U.N. team had asked to visit a military complex outside Tehran that has been suspected as a secret weapons-making location.

When will we know anything ?

The first paragraph says the team has no plans to inspect ......

then later, the article says the team asked to visit a military complex

Who is doing the double talking this time ??

edit on Feb-21-2012 by xuenchen because:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I wouldn't let those IAEA people anywhere near my nuke sites or let them know any names of people working on them. I see them as more spies than anything. Seems like every time they return home from a trip, they give someone some very good info and scientists mysteriously wind up dead.

I don't see Israel letting anyone near their nuke sites.
edit on 21-2-2012 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Since it's coming from a spokesman from Iran, I'm guess it'll mean whatever the ruling party wants it to mean.
They'll show their hospitals, pictures of their cars, maybe pictures of a vacation they once took to New Jersey.

But I'm guessing, um. . . . no nukes.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I saw this as an opportunity to ease the tension between Iran and the rest of the world. I'm really discouraged that the chance has slipped away.

If they didn't have weapons, or weren't preparing them, they could have made a lot of points by showing their openess and innocence, at the same time, eliminating any reason for an attack on their country.

By refusing, they're announcing they should be considered to have nuclear weapons, and that they are willing to break the Non-proliferation Treaty. Not a good way to show they are harmless, peace-loving, and law-abiding.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

By refusing, they're announcing they should be considered to have nuclear weapons, and that they are willing to break the Non-proliferation Treaty. Not a good way to show they are harmless, peace-loving, and law-abiding.

I know this is what the media and the US government wants the public to think... but that is utter sheer BS!

More or less like saying that anyone near the robbed bank is the robber until proven innocent.

We NEED to put a damper on the rogue IAEA and US government. Peace and peace of mind will NOT come through another war!

We cannot go around accusing someone of having something and then bomb them because we think they maybe might could have something....

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

The first paragraph says the team has no plans to inspect ......

then later, the article says the team asked to visit a military complex

Who is doing the double talking this time ??

edit on Feb-21-2012 by xuenchen because:

Noone... inspect nuclear facilities and visit military complexes should be viewed as two completely seperate things. It is written like this to confuse and brainwash you and anyone else reading it. AP is a distorter of truth... I remember how they posted photoshopped missile photos and then tried to blame Iran for the whole thing.

What you should be reading is that the IAEA declined to visit what the whole thing is about... nuclear facilities.... and instead wanted to visit irrelevant military complexes.

Now why is that?

If IAEA had been allowed to visit any military complex, probably containing weaponry just like ANY military complex in the world would, they could afterwards come out and report "yes, Iran is making weapons but we didn't get to see the nuclear facilities"
The reader would then think "Oh god! Nuke the bastards they have nukes!"

Instead of rationally be thinking: IAEA is a group of CORRUPT, war instigating shills that should not be respected in any way until they have proven themselves to be unbiased without the shred of doubt.

If anything we should be forcing IAEA to visit the Iranian nuclear fac. along with a tv crew that could document the event and show the world that we need to take a chill pill and worry about our own business at home instead of messing on other peoples' countries.
edit on 21/2/12 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

Dear flice,

I really don't like the idea of thinking badly about a person or a nation. And I may have been brainwashed by someone or another. But I don't understand iran and the Non-proliferation Treaty.

My understanding is, to put it simply, that they agreed to have their sites inspected. Now they are breaking that agreement. That's got to draw international attention, and cause worry.

I was hoping Iran would just open up and say "We're innocent." There is evidence, not proof, that Iran wants to get nuclear weapons as quickly as possible, that's worrying too. With all this worry, tensions in the area are going up to a nearly intolerable level.

I'm scared. Iran, please show the world there is nothing to be afraid of. Let them see you don't have nukes and you're not trying to build them. Please.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

My fault for not emphasizing that the military base is a suspected site.

On Monday, Iranian radio said the U.N. team had asked to visit a military complex outside Tehran that has been suspected as a secret weapons-making location.

but the statements are still very conflicting, as in propaganda.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
reply to post by flice

My fault for not emphasizing that the military base is a suspected site.

but the statements are still very conflicting, as in propaganda.

But still... Area 52 is a suspected base for production of weaponry, and noone is allowed to visit that. Doesn't matter if the base is producing weapons. It's Irans right... I'm not saying making weapons is ok, but it's their damn right. IAEA has no business being there... the whole deal should be about checking out the nuclear facilities.

OP, I hope you understand I'm not after you... I'm after the article. I think it's BS.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

I'm with ya.

The article is a problem.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by xuenchen

Since it's coming from a spokesman from Iran, I'm guess it'll mean whatever the ruling party wants it to mean.
They'll show their hospitals, pictures of their cars, maybe pictures of a vacation they once took to New Jersey.

But I'm guessing, um. . . . no nukes.

Well at least they let the UN Inspectors in their country unlike other Nuclear armed nations in the region whom have never allowed inspections of their nukes, we are not even allowed to know how many nukes Israel has. But double standards are OK, as long as it's Iran on the receiving end right?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

to be frank ,I believe we should allow Iran to have nukes.It will stabilise the ME and put israel in its place.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

In an ideal world no one would have nukes, but , it's not an ideal world and Iran is in the cross hairs of nuclear armed nations. It's understandable why they would want to get hold of them. Having nukes did make it possible for America to wipe the communist Soviet Union off the face of the map without using the weapon.
edit on 21-2-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I just took the liberty to write the journalist who wrote the article and in turn he added the following to the article:

Thanks for your thoughtful commentary, ****

added a part in the story showing the complex is only a conventional site.

Have a nice day.

It does soften it up a bit, but of course it still leaves me puzzled that the so-called experts were interested in that conventional site rather than the actual nuclear facilities.

In short it now reads:

Visits to individual Iranian nuclear sites were also not part of the IAEA earlier visit three weeks ago.

But on Monday, Iranian state radio said the U.N. team had asked to visit the Parchin military complex outside Tehran, a known conventional arms facility that has been suspected as a secret weapons-making location and also to meet Iranian nuclear scientists involved in the country's controversial program

Catch the link in the top OP post.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Here's why IAEA wants to inspect Iran's Parchin Military Complex:

The Parchin Military Complex 35.52°N 51.77°E is not presently known to be a nuclear site. This was discovered on 1 November 2005, when the IAEA was given access to the site and environmental samples were taken. Inspectors did not observe any unusual activities in the buildings visited, and the results of the analysis of environmental samples did not indicate the presence of nuclear material. Parchin is a facility for the testing and manufacturing of conventional explosives; IAEA safeguards inspectors were looking not for evidence of nuclear material, but of the kind of explosives testing consistent with nuclear weapons research and development.

en.wikipedia.org...

The questions surrounding Iran at this point are all related to tests and experiments that they've been carrying out.

I lost my list of the experiments that they've been accused of carrying out, but if I find it again, I'll post it here.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Let's not forget that the IAEA has tried to inspect Iran's heavy water reactor which has constantly been denied too.

Here's why the IAEA wants to inspect the heavy water reactor. (This article was written in November 2006)

While Iran was turned down in its attempts to buy a complete 40-megawatt heavy-water reactor, it eventually got the technical assistance from abroad necessary to build its own reactor. That is what is being constructed today in Arak.

Iran says its reactor at Arak will be used to produce isotopes for peaceful purposes. Are large, heavy water-moderated reactors needed to conduct legitimate scientific research and produce isotopes for medical, agricultural, and industrial purposes? The answer is no. Much smaller, light-water research reactors are fully satisfactory for the kinds of applications Iran says it is interested in.

Could the reactor Iran is constructing at Arak actually be used to produce isotopes for peaceful purposes? Yes it could. A 12-inch hunting knife also could be used to spread jam on your toast in the morning.

Here were some of the other concerns regarding Iran's heavy water reactor.

It is not surprising that Iran’s desire to buy a large heavy-water reactor set off alarm bells. Before centrifuge technology for enriching uranium became available from the black market network of Pakistani nuclear scientist Abdul Qadeer Khan, the plutonium route using heavy-water reactors was the dependable choice for aspiring nuclear-weapon states.

It is not by coincidence that India’s Cirrus reactor, Pakistan’s Khushab reactor, and Israel’s Dimona reactor are all large, heavy-water reactors. Fueled by natural uranium, these reactors don’t require their owners to go the trouble of obtaining enriched uranium fuel—either by making it indigenously or buying safeguarded enriched uranium from abroad. Moreover, when reprocessed, fuel rods irradiated in such reactors yield high-quality, weapons-grade plutonium. North Korea’s infamous 5-megawatt reactor at Yongbyon, while moderated with graphite rather than heavy water, is also fueled with natural uranium. All of these reactors are excellent plutonium bomb factories. That’s why they were acquired.

www.armscontrol.org...
edit on 21-2-2012 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Iranian leaders are morons.

But keep it going this way, give more ammo to US, West and Israel.
Who the hell will beleive your peacefull intentions IF YOU DON'T ALLOW inspectors to visit the sites?

You want or NOT peaceful nuclear program?

IF YOU DO, let inspectors visit EVERYTHING they ask.
IF YOU DON'T, get off NPT.

Just stop this shows for morons and raba lovers.ANYONE with a neuron working believe Iran wants nukes.

And Iran is helping MSM to reinforce the fact that they want nukes, regardless what Iran say.Facts, not words.
Let inspectors INSPECT, thats all you have to do to avoid OBLITERATION.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Heh... they rewrote the OPs article.... it now seems more like Iran is doing bad stuff than the first article gave the impression of. The MSM in the works.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by flice
Heh... they rewrote the OPs article.... it now seems more like Iran is doing bad stuff than the first article gave the impression of. The MSM in the works.

Well Well.

Maybe they are reading this right here !

The entire story is now different !!

I knew something was fishy

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Here's what the IAEA has to say:

“We tried to reach agreement on a way forward to resolve all the outstanding issues, and in particular we discussed the possible military dimensions of Iran's nuclear program.

We also tried to get access to a site that is relevant for our investigations. So we approached this trip in a constructive spirit, unfortunately we could not get agreement on either of them. So we could not get access, we could not finalize a way forward.”

He said the IAEA's next steps will be determined after his team reports to the agency's chief and its board of governors, which is scheduled to meet early next month. In a statement earlier Wednesday, the U.N. agency said Iran rejected the team's request to inspect the Parchin complex near Tehran, suspected of housing a secret underground nuclear facility. It said Iran denied a similar request when the IAEA team visited in late January.

Here's what Iran had to say:

Earlier, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said the purpose of the IAEA team's visit was not inspections but discussions on a “framework” for future dialogue and cooperation.

blogs.voanews.com...

What's left to talk about? If Iran won't cooperate now, we know there won't be any future cooperation.

I see full cooperation and dialogue happening when Israel and Palestine find peace. NEVER!

new topics

top topics

join