It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Politifact like the Onion news, a satire gig, or is it a right wing spin shop?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I've been reading this Politifact site www.politifact.com... lately, and I can't figure out what they are really about. I'll read stuff on their site that is so bias in being spun to the right that I'll think to myself, "It can't possibly be a fact site like Snoops" for instance. "It has to be just a poorly communicated satire site making fun of the Snoops type fact sites with a political twist." Doing the Onion thing. Then I think well, "Maybe they are just really stupid establishment far right wingers who really think they are pulling off a con job in publishing a so called fact checking site that they truly believe people will buy into." Buying into their scam that is.

At this point I don't know which it is only that it is one or the other. What do the rest of you think?

For those who believe Politifact is a legit site I will respond to you in advance. "Okay whatever you say."

edit on 21-2-2012 by LilDudeissocool because: cuz cuz i wanted toooooooo.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
They call Santorum, Gingrich, and Wayne LaPierre liars and back "Obamacare." Yet they are some how a right wing spin operation. Yeah that makes a ton of sense.

They called Lapierre's statement that Obama endorsed a ban on the sale and manufacture of handguns as false. A quick check of Ontheissues.com shows that in fact Obama did fill out a survey for "Independent Voters of Illinois" that said he endorsed that very idea.

So, I don't think I would call them a right wing hack job.

edit on 21-2-2012 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Weird double post deleted.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

Then I think well, "Maybe they are just really stupid establishment far right wingers who really think they are pulling off a con job in publishing a so called fact checking site that they truly believe people will buy into." Buying into their scam that is.

how are " right wingers " going to ` benefit ` from this ??????????

did you actually read the site ??

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by LilDudeissocool
At this point I don't know which it is only that it is one or the other. What do the rest of you think?

Honestly? It doesn't matter if you are reading, posting, linking or referring to Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, The Onion or Politifact. Sadly, we cannot collectively nor individually trust the content of any source without digging into their "sources" or their "facts".

If you want to pit one site against another, good on you. Have fun and enjoy. But in reality, it is up to the individual to determine to amount of truth presented to them vie anysource. Sadly, such tenacity is far and few between.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
They call Santorum, Gingrich, and Wayne LaPierre liars and back "Obamacare." Yet they are some how a right wing spin operation. Yeah that makes a ton of sense.

They called Lapierre's statement that Obama endorsed a ban on the sale and manufacture of handguns as false. A quick check of Ontheissues.com shows that in fact Obama did fill out a survey for "Independent Voters of Illinois" that said he endorsed that very idea.

So, I don't think I would call them a right wing hack job.

Note that I stated right wing establishment, the Mitt Romney crowd. What lies have they published that Mitt Romney has stated and his establishment Wall Street and K Street tied disgusting super pack operators who are elite moneyed spin doctors? The ones behind Politifact.com. They go after only true conservatives and Democrats on that site. It's what it what Politifact is all about.

Hello?

Now it's a satire joke site, or a really bad designed political push site.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

Then I think well, "Maybe they are just really stupid establishment far right wingers who really think they are pulling off a con job in publishing a so called fact checking site that they truly believe people will buy into." Buying into their scam that is.

Show me a Mitt Romney example please? Then we can talk.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Honestly? It doesn't matter if you are reading, posting, linking or referring to Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, The Onion or Politifact. Sadly, we cannot collectively nor individually trust the content of any source without digging into their "sources" or their "facts".

If you want to pit one site against another, good on you. Have fun and enjoy. But in reality, it is up to the individual to determine to amount of truth presented to them vie anysource. Sadly, such tenacity is far and few between.

Politifact is obviously all about pushing a pro Wall Street and industrial war complex /slash/ oil industry right wing inside Washington beltway agenda "sadly."

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

Show me a Mitt Romney example please? Then we can talk.

How about a whole page of them? Mitt Romney Pants on Fire

The statement, "The U.S. military is at risk of losing its "military superiority" because "our Navy is smaller than it's been since 1917. Our Air Force is smaller and older than any time since 1947." Is one of the first ones on that page rated as an outright lie.

I'm trying to figure out if you just were too lazy to actually look at the site or if you are a troll.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

You mean like "We're only inches away from no longer being a free economy." Abstract slogans that plays to the Republican base. How about all the lying mud he slings at Obama and his opponents?

You're really naive on how this type of propaganda dissimulation works huh?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

as requestetd mitt romney statement what shall we talk about , your dishonesty ?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

That reads like any ordinary misspeak. Notice how they hit hard on everyone except the one candidate that is the right wing establishment candidate? How about "I was a "extremely" conservative governor." stated by Mitt Romney at CPAC?

Wake up to what that site is all about.
It's obviously a promotion site for promoting right wing establishment interests, or it's a satire site.

But whatever you say... Nothing will change your mindset on how you perceive that ridiculous so called fact check joker site. There is a sucker born every minute as the ole cliche goes.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I've been reading this Politifact site www.politifact.com... lately, and I can't figure out what they are really about. I'll read stuff on their site that is so bias in being spun to the right that I'll think to myself, "It can't possibly be a fact site like Snoops" for instance.

Well, they lay their research out so that you can check it.

If you feel any of the "pants on fire" meters are wrong, they actually link first to the statements and then to the facts and figures.

If you feel any of the "truth" statements are wrong, again, they link to the words said by the person in question and then link to the facts and figures and news sources.

I don't see how linking to a correct transcript of a quote by a politician makes them "right wing." I don't see how checking facts makes them "right wing." I don't see how labeling false statements as "false" or "pants on fire" makes them "right wing."

Have you tried checking the sources for yourself?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

This victim of that site's slimy content did some fact checking of his own and fired back at their less than honest evaluation of his words thelastword.msnbc.msn.com... I guess he had the last word regarding their misleading spin on statements, in an ad no less. Now that's rich.

You see, Byrd, Politifact is a subtle passive aggressive political hit site that card stacks information and spins abstract opinions as absolutes. That's called being dishonest. They are a site that promotes right wing establishment interests pure and simple, if you are to take them seriously. That would be the elite interests of DC corporate lobbyists and the Wall Street investment banking crowd. They're soft on Mitt Romney, but hard on Obama, Newt and Rick. It's not hard to recognize what they are up to, Byrd.

edit on 22-2-2012 by LilDudeissocool because: I added content.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

BTW that would be "establishment" right wing, just not right wing by itself. The right and left are both broken down into subgroups.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Did you just post an MSMBC link? You do know thats a political satire site right? Who's that guy thats a parody of what a far out liberal Bill O 'Reilly would like, Chris Matthews right? Oh man he cracks me up

I haven't looked much into the site but from what the other posters have presented it seems fairly fair. Of course it might be biased one way or another, like I don't know say MSMBC.... What I think you're seeing is that your favorite political party has got its hands caught in the cookie jar and you just can't believe it! I can, left/right there all a bunch of crooks. Even my favorite party has done some bad and I'm willing to call them out on it.

So are you going just cover your ears? Or man up and do the research, find the truth whatever it may be and take that knowledge to make a informed decision next time you vote?

Or we can play two party partisan politics its like rooting for either the red team or the blue team in a game of capture the flag.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mcupobob

The point that I am making with my open is that Politifact either works like push poling for candidates like Romney by handling establishment candidates with goat kid glove, or it's a satire site because it's so freaking ridiculous on how they card stack their quotes along with giving fact or fiction opinion on abstracts based on establishment points of view. The establishment being those who make money with money instead of working for it like lazy spoiled brats like Mitt Romney.

I notice shows on MSNBC do the same thing. They want Mitt as a safety in case Obama does not get reelected. For example Tamron Hall who hosts News Nation and "I

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
CNN had a Politifact on the air today. How ridiculous! CNN which is struggling with credibility issues having someone on from Politifact, a politically motivated site, and treating them as legitimate is definitely in the ridiculous zone.

new topics

top topics

join