It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Tazers Handcuffed Women In The Back. She Is Now Braindead.

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I show no sympathy for this woman. She ran, became a wanted criminal, and did not intend on stoping. Would you have the same sympathy for the girl if she was a serial killer? Remember, everybody is equal under liberty. There is a reason Lady Liberty wears a blindfold.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dubiousone

I'll agree with your point that once in custody, the police are responsible for her safety. However, she led a lifestyle that led HER to that point (cause and effect).

Like I said earlier, I really only feel sorry for her mother. She's the one who has to see her daughter like this. I have no sympathy for the girl, nor would I have any sympathy for the cop if this went south for him.

Unlike you, however, I can see fault on both sides. Ultimately though, SHE (not the cops) made a choice to hit and run, drive without a license, endanger the public, and get hopped up on drugs. SHE (not the cops) made the choice to try and escape. THE COPS (not her) made a choice to use a stun gun. The rest is pure circumstance and bad luck. Do you really think the cop was thinking, "Hey, if I taze her, she'll go down, hit her head and wind up in an episode of veggie tales!"? Somehow, I doubt that.

If she would have never been caught and wound up wiping out a family (maybe your family) while hopped up on drugs, you'd complain that the cops didn't do their job.

If she had got away and hit by a car, you'd complain that the cops didn't do their job.

No matter what, people like you will ALWAYS blame the cops. FREE TOOKIE!!!!!
edit on 22-2-2012 by navy_vet_stg3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
No matter what, people like you will ALWAYS blame the cops. FREE TOOKIE!!!!!

Quite.

In late fall 2011, there was a stormy thread there on ATS about a young lady in Oakland, who was pepper-sprayed during the "occupy" event there and who allegedly had a miscarriage because of that. There were 10,000 angry mob here on ATS demanding cops would be drawn, hanged and quartered en masse. In the end, the claim turned out to be a fabrication. And guess what, not a single cop-hating mofo turned up to apologize.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas

Originally posted by andersensrm

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
I can't watch the video and I won't.

It's basically a snuff film of someone's life being ended by a lazy piece of garbage who doesn't belong out in the streets as a cop.

How many deaths since 2001 by a taser? about 500 now?

How many people were tasered since 2001? I say we give you guys what you want, just have no cops at all, I mean what do we need them for anyways.

Hold on a sec here. You took my post as me saying 'we should have no cops at all'?

Where did that complete Straw Man come from?

Because no matter what the cop does he is in the wrong. The facts are most cops do their jobs correctly, and are very ethical. The small % that aren't, need to be addressed but it doesn't require enacting policies, such as getting rid of the taser. Sure maybe 500 people died, but out of how many tases? I mean sure there is going to be a small % chance of death no matter what you do, unless you just give up and let people run away, which in affect would make cops useless. A lot of people on here are claiming the cop was in the wrong because she wasn't convicted of a crime yet. How can you convict someone of a crime without arresting them? I'd like to see the ideas people come up with put in place for a day, so people can see how bad they suck.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

I am not a police officer , but if you ran from me ... id taze you in a heart beat if you tried to fight or run from me. You broke the law , you were caught , and i will do my best to subdue you as easily and risk free as possible.

I know that you would. So would any other ...brave... person too afraid or too lazy to do their job responsibly. I notice you added fight..she only ran.

Peace

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky

Originally posted by OwenGP185

Originally posted by usmc0311
So what do you think? Was this an abuse of police power?

Any Police officer who uses a tazer against someone is abusing their power. I personally will not accept them as the norm. I hate to think what "non-lethal" gear they will get their hands on in the future.

tell that to this guy. What if he used a bullet instead?

Man im glad that cop didnt kill that dog. That usually always happens in cases like this. He blocked the dog pretty well with his feet too.

Haha that dog was freaked out by that taser tho he was booking out of there.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
More to the story than addressed here, as I said in a previous post he may have decided to taze her specifically in the interest of her safety. Considering that a drugged up woman could be running straight towards traffic or any other danger. Below is website with a storry on this and a quote from the cop below that.

hotair.com...

"In an interview with investigators, Cole said he saw Maudsley turning in the direction of U.S. 19 after she exited the substation.

“If she makes it there, you know, there’s no winning,” the report quoted him saying. “I can’t let her get out and get run over,” he later said."

He made a split second decision to stop a chase quickly that could go bad on many levels, not just with her life in danger but with any drivers on the road in danger attempting to swerve away to avoid hitting a little drugged up girl most likely not aware of her surroundings. The decision turned out horribly wrong but there was no malice and no brutality intended.
edit on 22-2-2012 by seeker1977 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This is a horrible tragedy,i have a daughter that age,and its extremely sad,what happened to this girl. Something went wrong in her life,and this was the awful end to it..having said that,i don't think its tazers or guns thats realy the propblem here at all-its the mentality and attitude of the cop,the INDIVIDUAL,who used the taser in this absolutely unnecessary way.Dear God,he could just have made the bit of effort to run after her and grabbed her,and she would still be healthy and whole,and able to maybe turn her life around! This is inexcusable.Tasers should ONLY be used when there,s a real threat to a cops safety,this girl was NO threat to him.Just completely unnecessary,and very sad.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
Dear God,he could just have made the bit of effort to run after her

oh maybe her Mom could have made the bit of an effort to wean her off drugs or at least not to run from law?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
How is she is a paralyzed and "vegetative" state? She gets up at the end of the video and sits up moving around normally. Unless there was brain swelling after her fall but that should have been taken care of at the ER and recognized.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NAeagle89
How is she is a paralyzed and "vegetative" state? She gets up at the end of the video and sits up moving around normally. Unless there was brain swelling after her fall but that should have been taken care of at the ER and recognized.

Dood, brain injury is a complex phenomenon.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Sh ran.

She got tazed.

Her fault.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaron2209
Lazy police work in my opinion. Simply looks like he couldn't be bothered running and it's a horrible shame this girls life has been destroyed by stupid behaviour.

It seems the whole idea of tazers being introduced in the first place is being actively ignored. It is now simply used as a tool for the lazy.
edit on 21-2-2012 by aaron2209 because: (no reason given)

The only stupid behavior was hers! Not sure at what point people are held accountable. She was involved in (2) hit and runs while wasted, then slips one hand out of her cuffs, then adds to the felony charges with a felony eluding of a policeman that yelled at her to stop.

Tasers are a form of "non lethal" use of force. That is why they carry them. To stop felons without shooting them. If he would have tackled her, and she hit her head with the same result, head injury, then the thread would be whining about police brutality and "excessive use of force"

People that break the law recklessly like she did while on coke and oxy can pretty much figure things won't end well for them. Stop trying to blame someone other than the person that made these personal choices.

Good day sir!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by NAeagle89

check out the video I posted it has extra footage and she is passed out and the cop is trying to wake her up. Hitting the back of the head that hard on that hard of a surface is bad..Boxers get knocked out with padded gloves pretty badly. A wrong hit to the temple is also really bad and can kill.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by aaron2209

In my country police have to be FIT not FAT.

I absolutely agree it's VERY lazy policing, that poor, poor girl.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Ya your right, you and butch are both right. She should have been gently placed in the cruiser and taken to booking, slept it off in an overnight cell and released. And she definitively would have learned her lesson from that. Poor poor 20 year old american female, i mean what did she really do wrong here? 2 hit and runs while under the influence and running from police..... i mean who hasn't done that right?
reply to post by Retikx

Love the sarcasm.....they should really come up with a special font just for that.

Never did I say she was innocent, nor did I say she should have been given any special treatment. What I am saying is, she was handcuffed, unarmed and allegedly under the influence of both coc aine and oxycodone which depending on the dose of each, could have severely impaired her judgement. The officer was very obviously within arm's reach of her but chose to tase her instead of grab her....essentially tasing her point-blank. Another step or so, and he would have actually made skin contact with the taser. That was unnecessary and excessive.

Obviously she was in their custody because she had allegedly committed crimes...no one is questioning that. But to use a weapon of that severity when he was literally a couple of feet behind her? Kind of like swatting a fly with a battering ram.....just an unecessary use of force. And as I said, he most likely now realizes that and it will be on his conscience for a long time to come. If you pay attention to the body language in the video, you can see that he knew he screwed up after she lost consciousness (the longer version of the vid).

She should never have been allowed to remain in their custody at any time without being completely cuffed, and as someone else pointed out, she should not have been close enough to an exit to have even made it outside. That is the real issue as far as investigation into the matter goes, because he would have had to answer for that. So for whatever reason she ran, she was able to do so because she was not restrained properly. And sorry, but it was his responsibility to make sure she was restrained...and he knows that too.

Yes it is stupid to run from the police and more than likely it was a case of the opportunity presenting itself and her taking advantage of that and believing somehow that she could actually escape, perhaps emboldened by the drugs in her system. But he screwed up in the first place by presenting her with the opportunity, and he should be held accountable for that. If she hadn't ended up brain dead, she would have faced trial by a jury of her peers and would have been handed a sentence proportionate to her crimes. Somehow, I think that brain death and ensuing persistent vegetative state would not be the sentence handed down.

She should be serving her sentence now, if she was in fact guilty and found so in a court of law. But due to her bad judgement AND his, that is not going to happen. It is not a question of whether or not she deserved to be punished if she did indeed commit the crimes. It is the fact that she did not deserve to die and it didn't have to happen like that...if he was close enough to touch her with the taser, then he was close enough to grab her. Period.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by NAeagle89 How is she is a paralyzed and "vegetative" state? She gets up at the end of the video and sits up moving around normally. Unless there was brain swelling after her fall but that should have been taken care of at the ER and recognized.

check out the video I posted it has extra footage and she is passed out and the cop is trying to wake her up. Hitting the back of the head that hard on that hard of a surface is bad..Boxers get knocked out with padded gloves pretty badly. A wrong hit to the temple is also really bad and can kill.
reply to post by celticdog

Absolutely true, and the drugs that she was allegedly under the influence of also thin the blood and weaken blood vessels, making the impact much more damaging.

NAeagle, she actually was not moving around normally at all. She was having difficulty sitting up and kept putting her hands to the sides of her head (the longer video shows more of this), and kept lying back down. About 2 minutes after the impact, she completely loses consciousness and goes limp on the pavement. Her brain was swelling inside from the force of the impact and sometimes that isn't apparent right away...the scary thing about head injuries. Liam Neeson's wife died from a similar injury and thought she was perfectly fine...for hours after. Taking her to the ER might have helped her, but it was most likely too late. Time is tissue, and every minute counts.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by tigertatzen

I did not quote the post because it would have been too massive. However, I work for a police department and agree completely with what you said. I don't think the situation could be summed up any better.

edit on 23-2-2012 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Thank you for that
I know it's a volatile issue and I am amazed at how much hatred is being spewed here. I have a lot of law enforcement in my family and I have every respect for them, believe me. But they make mistakes, as does every other person on the face of the planet, and part of learning valuable lessons in life is being held responsible for your actions. Even though that officer was "cleared of wrongdoing", he knows what he did was inappropriate and hopefully he will think twice in the future before he just takes the path of least resistance. Who knows, maybe FHP will tighten up their policies on use of force after this. It would be good to know that this tragedy did not occur in vain.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
This is just Horrible.

So what do you think? Was this an abuse of police power?

The Florida Highway Patrol have cleared 267-pound Trooper Daniel Cole of wrongdoing and have released a disturbing dash cam video that captured him tasing a 100 pound, 20 year old handcuffed girl in the back as she fled.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement determined Trooper Daniel Cole's "use of force" was justified when he tased the woman last September at the FHP Pinellas Park Substation and cleared him of wrongdoing.

The fleeing woman, Danielle Maudsley, 20, suffered severe brain damage after hitting her head on the concrete and has been in a persistent vegetative state ever since.

slumz.boxden.com...

edit on 21/2/12 by usmc0311 because: Title Change.

edit on 21/2/12 by usmc0311 because: added link

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29 >>

join