It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problems with running WinXP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
new
Okay windows finished installing. Yet upon the desktop showing an error dialog box shows up saying the computer has recovered from a serious error. I click ok and then I have a 5 minute window to do whatever and then winXP automatically resets. any ideas ? This cycle repeats itself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
old
I get the following error upon the 9th minute remaining in the winXP installation.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you may need.
If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. IF you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your comuter and press F8 to select advanced startup options and then select safe mode..
technical info
***STOP: 0x0000000A(0x00000004,0x00000007,0x00000000,0x804059F8)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

any ideas will be welcomed
pressing F8 takes me to the install screen.

[Edited on 18-9-2004 by websurfer]

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Microsoft Stop 0x0000000A

Id say try stripping your computer to the bare minimum....mobo, cpu, memory, hard drive, and video card unless you have onboard graphics....then try the install process again.

Also...Little Bit More From Support

[Edited on 18-9-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Is it a clean install or an upgrade? What kind of machine are you running it on? One strategy it to remove any older cards (sound card, network cards, etc.) and see if setup runs OK, then add them in one at a time after XP is running.

Regardless, here is Microsoft's take on the error:
Common Stop Messages

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Okay windows finished installing. Yet upon the desktop showing an error dialog box shows up saying the computer has recovered from a serious error. I click ok and then I have a 5 minute window to do whatever and then winXP automatically resets. any ideas ?

E_T

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
www.microsoft.com...
Might be better check RAM.

www.memtest.org...
Let it run say... couple hours and check if it finds errors.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
My first idea would also be RAM, or a heat related issue. Find a copy of memtest86 online and run it. Also, see if it helps running it without the cover on.

top topics

join