It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Approves 30,000 Spy Drones Over America As US Police State Tightens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Slowly but surely, the noose tightens around the neck of Americans. Known as HR 658 or the FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act, this bill has just passed both the House and the Senate that authorizes the use of 30,000(!) spy drones over America. Yes, there are now drones allowed by law to go around the country supposed to be to look for terrorists. We know very well that this will end up as another way to monitor everyone in the country.

Of course, this was not widely reported by the media.

Did you know that a bill, HR 658, the FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act, has just passed both the House and the Senate that authorizes the use of 30,000 spy drones over America? Like the anti-Posse Comitatus NDAA legislation that passed in November, this bill was not widely reported by the mainstream media.

Think about the enormity of this for a second… 30-THOUSAND drones flying overhead surveilling the US. If you divide that by 50 states, that is 600 drones per state! Most states don’t have even have one-third of that in counties, so 600 drones, or more per state is a bit overwhelming. And considering that some states are very small, such as Rhode Island and Connecticut, it won’t take that many to spy on those diminutive territories, leaving far more drones to cover the larger states.

The good news is, the FAA needs nine more months from the bill’s signing to submit a plan to safely allow access for the drones since there will be additional 30,000 drones flying in the sky. Massive protests about this bill should have happened by then and force the lawmakers to scratch the bill.

Another disturbing thought, these drones can remain airborne for up to 50 hours at a time. What perils does this offer for air traffic safety, by adding 30-THOUSAND new aircraft to our skies? The FAA has nine months from the bill’s signing to submit a plan to safely allow access for the drones.

Source

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Probably why we've been seeing all those lights in the sky. Their not Chinese lanterns, the little orbs are drones. Might as well put on a good show for them.
edit on 20-2-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Might be test drones. They are still choosing the best drones to spy on Americans.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Any time a claim like this is made it needs to be verified first hand, too many bloggers go off the deep end making unfounded claims these days.

Here is the text of the bill:

112th Congress (2011-2012) H.R.658

I scanned through it and do not see any references to surveillance aircraft, drones, or "30,000". I'm not saying I don't disbelieve the authors claim, but where in this text of this bill is he getting "30,000 drones"? His entire article is very vague on how he arrived at this conclusion.

ETA:
The only mention of "9 months after the date of enactment of this act" is in Sec. 604, Frontline Manager Staffing, which has nothing to do with drones or surveillance. It's a human resources issue. Not only do I not see any mention of 30,000 drones I don't see how he came up with the "9 months" to prepare for it claim.
edit on 20-2-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Here's a link to the text of the Bill... anyone wanna help find the part about drones?

As extremely common with sensationalist blogs/news they always manage to leave out the goods or precise source.

Brief
FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (Enrolled Bill [Final as Passed Both House and Senate] - ENR)

Text:
FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (pdf)

ETA:
A search using the word "drone" yields zero results. Still checking for others UAV?

edit on 20-2-2012 by Thermo Klein because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Maybe I should rethink wanting to be a teacher and just go into some Tech school. Hack those mothers right outta the sky. Oh wait... now I'm on the no flight list..... oh well.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
We got a bogey!!

Subtitle B—Unmanned Aircraft Systems

73 hits for "unmanned" starting in Subtitle B, page 62

SEC. 332. INTEGRATION OF CIVIL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS
INTO NATIONAL AIRSPACE SYSTEM.
(a) REQUIRED PLANNING FOR INTEGRATION.—
(1) COMPREHENSIVE PLAN.—Not later than 270 days after
the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation,
in consultation with representatives of the aviation
industry, Federal agencies that employ unmanned aircraft systems
technology in the national airspace system, and the
unmanned aircraft systems industry, shall develop a comprehensive
plan to safely accelerate the integration of civil
unmanned aircraft systems into the national airspace system.

edit on 20-2-2012 by Thermo Klein because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
SWEET! I fly drones, so this means job security....

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
SWEET! I fly drones, so this means job security....

Long term job security!

This article is a sham, from what I can see...

(3) DEADLINE.—The plan required under paragraph (1)
shall provide for the safe integration of civil unmanned aircraft
systems into the national airspace system as soon as practicable,
but not later than September 30, 2015.

They aren't even expecting a plan until the end of 2012.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
*cough* Police State *cough*

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a communitybased set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization

So in order to fly a model airplane you need to be part of a nationwide hobby group which has specific instructions on how to fly.

Anyone find ANYTHING about the Bill giving money are number estimates for drones? I didn't see anything.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
You will eventually start to read stories of civilian drones , $300 dollar upwards, dogfighting so to speak , ie knocking the hovering government drones out of the air or off course from the surveillance task. Next thing the US government will be detaining people for owning civilian drones on the pretense that they are being used like a hostile weapon , attacking FBI and law enforcement drones, cat and mouse in the US skies

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Droidinvoid
You will eventually start to read stories of civilian drones , $300 dollar upwards, dogfighting so to speak , ie knocking the hovering government drones out of the air or off course from the surveillance task. Next thing the US government will be detaining people for owning civilian drones on the pretense that they are being used like a hostile weapon , attacking FBI and law enforcement drones, cat and mouse in the US skies

That sounds like fun! I'm thinking a rocket with a RF jammer. Get the rocket close enough to the drone and it will be flying blind until the rocket is our of range.

It's good to know that the government is finding a good use for our tax dollars, rather than waste it on something like helping people.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

Yeah , create a proxy youtube account and dudes with drones that have a camera can upload the daily take downs
, geez people will be pimpin there drones to maximum devastating effect ha ha . Next thing corporate sponsors logo's on the drones
ohh we can dream
I would want a drone that sprays some fast acting gloopy substance that renders the other drone extinct ........ I'm losing the plot now

edit on 20-2-2012 by Droidinvoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Anyone find ANYTHING about the Bill giving money are number estimates for drones? I didn't see anything.

We don't need a number. Once they can fly them over the US, they will be able to fly as many as they want. 10k, 20k or even 100k if they want to.

You bet they gonna give drones (with federal grants) to all the police departments in America... ``to fight terrorism``. Hell it has ALREADY started.

Police use military drones to arrest U.S. citizens

A recent news report revealed that, back on June 24th, local police in North Dakota made the first ever arrest of U.S. citizens with the assistance of unarmed predator drones. And oddly enough, the incident didn’t involve terrorism or narcotics, but rather a search for missing cows on a remote stretch of farmland.

If they say they have arrested people with drones ``for the first time``... you know they have been running these drones for longer than that.

But who cares about drones? What about blimps?
Pentagon plans blimp to spy from new heights

The Pentagon said Thursday that it intends to spend $400 million to develop a giant dirigible that will float 65,000 feet above the Earth for 10 years, providing unblinking and intricate radar surveillance of the vehicles, planes and even people below.

"It is absolutely revolutionary," Werner J.A. Dahm, chief scientist for the Air Force, said of the proposed unmanned airship -- describing it as a cross between a satellite and a spy plane.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

jingle bells ,jingle bells, jingle all the way!!!the amerikan KGB is coming around ridding all the way!!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Don't suppose any of you boys have Iranian friends?
You may want to check out their Drone management program.

As for mr drone operator ... you're the problem.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
So its acceptable to fly drones in other countries without their permission but not in the USA?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

They aren't even expecting a plan until the end of 2012.

That indeed, but in every rule, there is an exception :

SEC. 333. SPECIAL RULES FOR CERTAIN UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other requirement of
this subtitle, and not later than 180 days after the date of enactment
of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation shall determine if
certain unmanned aircraft systems may operate safely in the
national airspace system before completion of the plan and rulemaking
required by section 332 of this Act or the guidance required
by section 334 of this Act.

Now as the application of it, there is a part that i find interesting :

(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 180 days after the date
of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall develop a plan
and initiate a process to work with relevant Federal agencies
and national and international communities to designate
permanent areas in the Arctic where small unmanned aircraft
may operate 24 hours per day for research and commercial
purposes. The plan for operations in these permanent areas
shall include the development of processes to facilitate the
safe operation of unmanned aircraft beyond line of sight. Such
areas shall enable over-water flights from the surface to at
least 2,000 feet in altitude, with ingress and egress routes
from selected coastal launch sites.

Combine that with :

(3) TEST RANGE LOCATIONS.—In determining the location
of the 6 test ranges of the program under paragraph (1), the
Administrator shall—
(A) take into consideration geographic and climatic
diversity;
(B) take into consideration the location of ground infrastructure
and research needs; and
(C) consult with the National Aeronautics and Space
Administration and the Department of Defense.

The potential for misuse, it´s quite high in my opinion.

Peace

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I could be wrong but... I'm betting those drones could become the target of folks with hunting rifles and good scopes from under a thicket of trees, lol!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
as this keeps coming up... I really don't see these things being taken out by a radio-controlled missile, a hunting rifle, etc.

At about $22 million apiece for next-generation UAVs (the so-called Reaper and Sky Warrior), the drones are increasingly a weapon of choice for military planners.

They fly above our ability to see or hear them and at $22 million each they sure as hell better have some protection against incoming threats. So you can't see them, hear them, or track them on radar... might be a little tough to kill.

Source

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join