It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Ghost and UFO believers seeking immortality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
"Ghost stories appeal to our craving for immortality. If you can be afraid of a ghost, then you have to believe that a ghost may exist. And if a ghost exists then oblivion might not be the end"

Stanley Kubrick

Extrapolating this view to UFO believers - could it be that as religion sinks, believing in UFOs is a means of some people hoping that there is life outside Earth and the creator of that life is a God?

The supposition being that if there is a God there may be more to our mundane existence than we think?

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
If I'm going to have immortality, it will be in the next world. Right now, I'm already being tortured enough. Last thing I want is the torture to continue for eternity.
edit on 20-2-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I have never seen the appeal of immortality, I would rather die than be stuck in this mad world for all eternity. And I'm atheist so I really don't see anything past death.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

I think your over generalizing here, but I get your point. I think there are many motivators. When people see something they can't explain they search for answers.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

What if God is the ultimate energy that makes up every animate and inanimate object ever? This energy is you and me all at once. This energy always knows what you want and need because it lives there right along with you because it is you and you are it. Singularity.

Energy never dies, it just redirects. Could this be why some religions say that God always was and always will be? God = Energy

So when we die we wouldn't really die. Our energy would redirect. Become a spirit, reincarnate, or just leave this planet (plenty more out there).

What if the Ancient Astronaut theory is also correct in pointing out that our religious Gods are actually alien encounters and mans harsh understanding of them? These beings are also part of this ultimate energy but developed much longer ago so they are way technologically advanced. We follow and worship these beings as our Gods (Yahweh, Allah, Zeus, Horus, etc) because they manipulated the already existing animals of the planet and created us, humans. We are given religion to keep us in check while they gallivant around the universe. Religion is the rules to live by and the method for us to follow. Don't kill each other and don't sleep with your neighbors wife so he won't be tempted to kill you and break the don't kill rule.

In this scenario Evolutionism and Creationism can both happen simultaneously as so does religion, ghosts and UFO's. One big singularity.
edit on 20-2-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Interesting idea, but I think ghost stories appeal to the people who like to be scared, and who like to get the willies walking through an old house. I think the people who are interested in immortality are the ones seeking immortality. Those individuals would be researching the philosophers stone or some other method.

Same deal with UFOs, though the ancient astronaut theories are amazing to read about, I think the people who study them just like the mystery of all of it, I don't think there's too much of a philosophical reason for why we like these kinds of things, we just do.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

One of the foundations of modern world-religions (those being the religions practiced in multiple countries) is definitely the promise of immortality, or, sublimation.

Being God's Chosen People gives the Jews a feeling of calm, and content, that their God—who is the only God—has a special reward for them once they have endured the trials and hardships of this life. Once their contract has been restored with the Lord God, Yahweh, they will once again be welcomed back into the Garden of Eden, Paradise.

Likewise, a large portion of Jesus' teachings centered around the mechanics of the next life, and the method for inheriting this Kingdom with God, as Christ's bride. This is clearly a promise of everlasting life, experienced through a subtle, infinite, spirit body which is different from the finite physical one, and it is distinguished as such numerous times throughout the New Testament.

Even Islam has a paradise where eternal oneness can be attained with Allah (The One). The Arabic language, as utilized by Islam, teaches this. The first man: Adam, is spelled with the letters Alif, Dal, Mim. The Alif stands tall, and alone, representing Allah, The One and Only. The Dal is kneeling, representing man in his study, knowledge, and prayer to The One. Finally, the Mem prostrates itself before The One, signifying total submission and envelopment into Allah, The One: eternity recognized by merging with the godhead.

The Wheel of Samsara in the Hindu, Jain, and Buddhist teachings is clearly a developed schematic of eternal life, to be experienced through continuous reincarnation. This birth-life-decay-death-rebirth blue-print allows any individual to live for an eternity, by rising from the lowest Hell to the highest Heaven, over the course of tens, hundreds, or even thousands of life-spans. The infinite experienced through the finite.

In Buddhism alone, the ultimate goal of attaining Buddha-nature is to sublimate into pure energy-being, called Nirvana. At this state of existence—if it can be called such—time, and space, and form, and thought, and consciousness all have been stripped away. The goal of the Noble Eight-fold Path, and the Four Noble Truths is to recognize the impermanence of conscious living, and the permanence of Buddha-hood. Once this realization is achieved what remains is an eternal, unchanging, constant self; which is immortal.

Religions obviously have a diverse interplay with a variety of other topics as well. They're not one-trick ponies only bent on promising eternal life. However, somewhere within almost every religion is that promise: believe, have faith, practice, and you will be rewarded with continuous existence by My Godly grace.

UFOlogy I think comes at the same topic from a different angle. UFOs stand as scare-tactics, and alternative avenues for those disillusioned with contemporary human spirituality and religious mysticism. The UFO, and abduction by occupants, culminating in a tour of some far-away planet is not a promise of eternal life in and of itself. Quite the opposite. It is a call to arms letting us know that our gods, our religions, our spiritual practices are not complete, or valid yet, because they don't take into account these extraterrestrial beings and their own spiritual and religious discourses.

Any in-depth study of UFOlogy and UFO lore will reinforce that these visitors definitely have religious and spiritual messages for us. Most often about opening up to universal spirituality, in stead of human spirituality, and usually in opposition to current religious and spiritual institutions.

The extraterrestrial and its UFO are a force-conversion to a new way of thinking, believing, and praying. However, that doesn't mean Raelians, and other UFO cults are right either. All their talk of "Love and Light," and "Galactic Families," and "Universal Oneness" is really no different then our current religion's discussions of immortality.

Instead of God, we now have aliens.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I'm not the biggest fan of organised religion either but I think it has to be said that certain people 'believe' in UFOs because there are certain cases out there that are extremely diffcult to explain - some incidents are listed here and involve more puzzling aspects like E.M. interference effects, ground trace evidence or separately located witnesses.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I by no means seek immortality, I just know that I believe what I have experienced and seen with my own eyes. I think a lot of people would say the same.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I could've died like 10 times by now, one being just 2 days ago avoiding a serious car crash in the last moments,
experiences are not something asked for, they happen, the moment is immortal.
thats key to life. it's one passing moment, and we can't be the only conscious thing experiencing it, and we aren't. this moment will last forever, like it has.

are people who experience things out of the normal seeking to live forever?
yes and no. if you saw something outside current human understandings, in relation with science, wouldn't you then be forced to relate it with some sort of infinite self sustaining energy that manifests purpose? since energy is all there is in the end, and it variates into a million+ different subsections of energy possibilities. or so my puny human mind has led me to believe.
edit on 22-2-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Of course I'm seeking immortality. That's number 1.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I'll say this, I believe in some sort of spirit world, and I believe even more strongly in ET life. My beliefs are everchanging and evolving, but one belief I've always held to is that our lives do not end when the current one is snuffed out.

My good friend on the other hand, believes just as strongly in ET life, but his idea on immortality is nonexistent. He feels when we die, our existence just fades to black, as it were.

So essentially, we all choose what to believe, and only those with open minds, are willing to adapt their own beliefs as they learn more about the world around them.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

Ghost stories in tv, film and books definitely have an end goal - to promote the belief that all of humanity have an afterlife with no judgement that could lead to the end of a spirit. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is therefore transformed into a "liar" and "evil" when He states in Hebrews 9:27 "It is appointed unto men once to die, and after this the judgment."

The UFO phenomena has become a religion and belief system for most, take a look at the massive media push in both print and tv to convince the youngest generations that aliens are "our creators" and/or "know the true spirit of "god". To think that "aliens" have come all this way to channel the exact same messages as above should be a red flag.

But sadly it's not.

""The entity identified himself as OX-HO and declared that he had come from a galaxy very near our own to help the people on Earth... "People on Earth, open your doors to our help, for you need it desperately. Remember that we are always on the alert and (we) are now holding off and fighting any enemies from lesser evolved planets. Join our Confederation and be one with the Creator." 
- Brad Steiger Aquarian Revelations: Channeling Higher Intelligence pgs. 98-99

"The aliens are recognized as intermediaries or intermediate entities between the fully bodied state of human beings and the primal source of creation or God (in the sense of a cosmic consciousness, rather than a personified being). In this regard abductees sometimes liken the alien beings to angels, or other "light beings" (including the "grays").  - Abduction, by Dr. John Mack, pg. 48

"What might an advanced extraterrestrial civilization want from us? One of the primary motivations for the exploration of the New World was to convert the inhabitants to Christianity -- peacefully if possible -- forcefully if necessary. Can we exclude the possibility of an extraterrestrial evangelism?" 
- Dr. Carl Sagan, “Intelligent Life in the Universe” pg. 463

The deception will not end with an evolved species of "extraterrestrial" strolling in proving evolution from goo....but rather with a "correction" to humanity on the "true nature" of "Our Creator". It's way more EXCITING for people, way more "ENTICING" and will follow the same argument that the serpent used on Eve...

" “Did God really say......"

My personal testimony is that I fully believed in ghosts because I'd personally experienced it. I also used to believe in evolution and that extraterrestrials were flying around our skies. Then one day it all changed when My Father in Heaven led me to the Saviour. And God Almighty is Truth, absolute truth. The scales fall from your eyes and my journey began.

So yes OP, the religion created around a belief of UFO/aliens and ghosts feeds an innate desire to know about an afterlife - immortality in some form.

top topics

join