It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
LONDON — Britain’s border agency will split into two following a row over security lapses which let hundreds of thousands of people into the country without proper checks, the interior minister said Monday.
Home Secretary Theresa May took the step after an official report produced by John Vine, UK Border Agency’s independent chief inspector, found around 500,000 Eurostar passengers arrived in Britain without being checked against a terrorism index.
“The Vine report reveals a border force that suspended important checks without permission; that spent millions on new technologies but chose not to use them; that was led by managers who did not communicate with their staff; and that sent reports to ministers that were inaccurate, unbalanced and excluded key information,” May said Monday.
Vine found that Eurostar passengers boarding the train in Paris bypassed the warnings index of suspected terrorists and that border checks had been suspended regularly since 2007.