It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A key part of WW3 missing - Australia

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jace26
reply to post by aorAki

Well if NZ gets invaded don't come begging to us

Well jAnus (I love it!), you do realise that if we were invaded they would have used Oz as a staging point, which means you'll be stuffed before we are: Australia. Where the bloody hell are ya?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by deessell
reply to post by 74Templar

Please 74 Templar, stop talking sense!!

Th

The notion of anyone invading Australia, is ridiculous.

Actually these are my studies from a fictional story I wrote a while back about Indonesia invading. It was kind of a mockumentary style with China pulling North Korea and Indonesia's strings to give Indonesia more space, while really going after our resources. With a population of around 230 million stuffed into a space roughly equal to NSW, I figured they would be looking to expand. In the scenario we were largely ignored by the US and the UK, but the US did supply us with more modern weapons to fight, and Japan stepped in along with Singapore to fight off the invasion, believing the region to be ripe for invasion from the Chinese should Australia fall.
Countries like the Phillipines and Malaysia would be toast under an invasion like that, and in this scenario became staging grounds for the North Koreans and Indonesians to spread further west.
I might add too in this scenario the US was so badly underfunded they withdrew their forces from Korea and Japan, which hypothetically left the region open for invasion. Unlikely I know, but hey it worked for the story.

Personally, I have travelled much of Australia and Asia, and if it came down to a choice of invasion, the only real sensible landing point would be NE Queensland, which is pretty much jam packed with military from Townsville all the way down to Ipswich. You'd have to fight every inch of the way just to expand, and stick to the coastline to move south. The western Queensland desert would write off any force quickly, as would pretty much anywhere of the northern coastline and north west.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
It's safe to say Australia won't be ignored by the UK.

I watch my country's politics a lot and there is a great appreciation for countries of the Commonwealth these days. Australia is as good a friend to the UK as the USA is.

But who knows what is going to happen. The whole concept is beginning to freak me out. So many people are convinced this is coming and I take a lot of the well constructed opinions on ATS that people give a lot of consideration.

I wouldn't know if China or any country could spare the resources to attack OZ. I mean, they're really going to have their hands full with taking on the entire West, should it even occur.

But yes, as someone mentioned earlier in the topic, Australia has a lot of resources and good strategic position, isolated. I think this will make Australia a stronghold for its people.

I think we'll have the tech to detect nukes as well. I have a hard time believing that our governments aren't prepared for this.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by aitealan

This I would have to agree with, I mean if the UK is prepared to stave off Argentina over a tiny speck of land like the Falklands, then a colony like Australia would be a major drawcard.

I can't see British troops or ships or planes coming to the rescue, it would simply take too long to round up and bring around the globe to have any kind of real impact. I think we would more than likely receive special units in the way of help rather than an actual force.

It would also depend on whether the UK would consider it logistically viable to defend one of it's last colonies. The British forces have taken a major hit in downgrades over the last five years, no carriers anymore, limited aircraft, etc. I would say we are more likely better off fighting off any invading force ourselves. Australia is in the throes of a major overhaul right now, which brings us into line with many of the world's leading forces. The FA18F and the two new LHDs on their way in two years will most likely mean we could easily stand toe to toe with any but the major superpowers in the world, most of whom we are aligned with anyway.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

My account name is Jace26, don't know where you got Janus from?
But true, in the event of an invasion Australia would be invaded first, but it would be mere impossible to take south east Australia without securing a staging area. Which is probably where New Zealan or New Caladonia etc, come into play.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by aitealan

Also remember its not just about Australias vast resources or massive raw materials (which China craves).
Its more to do with our strategic location, during WW2 the Japanese planned to occupy northern Australia not for its resources or anything but to ensure it couldn't be used as a allied staging ground.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

You're looking at that from a WW2 perspective though. Then, it was nigh impossible to traverse the distances needed to reach each other without forward staging grounds. With the advent of new technologies most places around the world could be reached by a continental bomber, even ICBMs or submarine mounted systems. There would be no real need to attack a target that is relatively close to the Chinese mainland and fight a long drawn out ground conflict unless you were going after the resources. To try to maintain an occupying force as a staging area or forward op base, pretty much any of the Pacific Islands would suffice, hence why both Japan and the US did this in WW2. Easier to defend, easier to maintain and requiring a smaller force to keep going.
Australia's coastlines would be harder for an invading force to defend, given the sheer number of entry points, even with todays high tech radar systems. Apart from resources, I just can't see any invading force wanting a foot soldier war that will last years for a gain of few thousand kilometres of forward space.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Hey bro. It gives me hope to read your replies, seems the little man has gone quiet. By the way, nice dog, ridgeback cross?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

Theres already a tripwire force down under called Marines.Treat em nice because if that scenario happens these guys will do the job.As long as we have air dominance we're good also you have PACAF and naval supports.Sorry about the citizen gun thing but in the end they are not getting nukes.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by titzycronulla

Cheers fella.

Yep Ridgeback X Rotty.

In reply to Jace: I can't see NZ being used as a staging area. Too far away from anywhere and thus too noticeable to place a large invading force. Plus, the only resources we have are our intellects, whereas you guys are mineral rich!

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Woah, i'm late to the party.

First off, with the SAS commotion, your selection is like a 15 km run, our SAS has a 30 km run for selection, nuff said

Seriously though, they are both excellent at what they do, but history shows that they were the tag along group, especially in Vietnam, the Aussie SASR went out on patrols, and there would be a little Kiwi bloke from NZ's SAS who would tag along.

Now onto Iran.

Again as history tells it, Australia is VERY important for any such war, especially if the war were to occur with an Asian nation such as China. Australia's forces are very reliable at all times, hell, we were the first force to defeat the great Japanese Empire and push them back. We successfully defended this great country from the Japanese who were adamant on invading.

I think if the # were to hit the fan, our soldiers will be very reliable. We may get bombed thanks to 'Modern Warfare' with the use of Nukes and other top secret weapons,but we will pull through, we're Aussies for crying out loud

Let's just hope to God that we don't have a horrible leader *cough* Julia Gillard *cough* when it all goes down.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

Please do not make statements on behalf of Us, being the Aussies, I am certain most real Aussies would back the Kiwis in any pub in the world, net alone in times of war, as far as I know the ANZACs were always side by side and still are. But then again the definition of what an Aussie and a Kiwi is, has changed a bit, so you just may be right. At a guess there would be many in both countries these days, that wouldn't know what ANZAC stood for without Google.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Woah, i'm late to the party.

First off, with the SAS commotion, your selection is like a 15 km run, our SAS has a 30 km run for selection, nuff said

Seriously though, they are both excellent at what they do, but history shows that they were the tag along group, especially in Vietnam, the Aussie SASR went out on patrols, and there would be a little Kiwi bloke from NZ's SAS who would tag along.

Sure. I was just engaging my tongue-in-cheek side. a bit of friendly banter from across the ditch.

So, how's Ponting doing?

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wondera

One things for sure...they will not come by sea. Australia, the island continent is guarded by Great White sharks and I can tell you no one likes to be eaten. Just watch the skies for paratroopers and planes.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

I smile when I read comments that state or imply New Zealand's ongoing reliance on Australia for this or that.

Australia is currently completely reliant on the New Zealand Navy for heavy sealift capacity, and will continue to be apparently until 2014. This has come about as a result of unseaworthiness and operational problems for its own vessels.

Australians joke about invading NZ- sure, but only with NZ carrying them LOL. Can just imagine the convo .. "Ah Kiwis, can we borrow your ship again so we can invade you?"

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join