It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists Create Single-Atom Transistor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Physicists Foretell Quantum Computer With Single-Atom Transistor

The researchers built their transistor with the help of a scanning tunneling microscope. After placing a silicon crystal inside an ultra-high vacuum chamber, they used the microscope to create four phosphorous electrodes and one phosphorus transistor atop the silicon. Then they covered this with a layer of non-reactive hydrogen, and after removing a few of the hydrogen atoms with the metal tip of the microscope, they used phosphine gas to insert the phosphorous into the silicon. The whole system was then encased in another silicon layer and electrically connected to the outside world.

This is incredible...so many huge leaps in computing technology research/applications lately; this newest one being a single atom transistor in the makings by scientist from the Centre for Quantum Computation and Communication Technology, School of Physics, University of New South Wales.

This paired with other advances such as IBM's 12-Atom Storage Bit

& So much more.... we live in interesting times. In our generation alone look how far computers have come, and where they are headed.

Original Publication
edit on 20-2-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

"and after removing a few of the hydrogen atoms with the metal tip of the microscope."

That is BS.

P)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

It is? It's a quote from the article by the Wired, not from the original publication so. I guess the writer didn't know what he's talking about?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

How is it one atom, more than one type of material used so it cant be one atom

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

My thoughts exactly. It may be as impressive as a molecular computer, but it cannot by definition, be called a single atom transistor. And for the record, the poster who complained about the idea of removing hydrogen from a situation using a solid metal object is bang on. What utter rot. Its a shame as well, because I am sure that if the article had not completely invalidated itself at every turn, no doubt the reality of what has been achieved would be all too apparant , impressing everyone.

Learn a lesson here folks, know of which you speak.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by wmd_2008

My thoughts exactly. It may be as impressive as a molecular computer, but it cannot by definition, be called a single atom transistor.

I think they mean that the junctions are formed by a single atom or that they are a single atom in width and height.

Impressive nonetheless.
edit on 21-2-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join