It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead for 32,000 Years, an Arctic Plant Is Revived

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Actually Australia holds the record for the oldest living fossil tree that was discovered in Sydney.

www.wollemipine.com...

Missing for 150 million years, its discovery in a remote gorge in Wollemi National Park, 200 kilometres west of Sydney, has astonished scientists. Its only known home is a tiny 5,000 square metre relic grove of prehistoric rainforest in the 500,000-hectare park. So far only 23 adults and 16 juveniles have been found, making it also one of the world's rarest plants.

"The discovery is the equivalent of finding a small dinosaur still alive on Earth," said Professor Carrick Chambers, the director of the Royal Botanic Gardens. "It is a really major find."

So as cool as 32,000 years is 150 mil trumps that still a cool find. At least when the Dinosaurs are brought back from extinction they will have something to eat apart from us. This was discovered in 1994 by the way.
edit on 21-2-2012 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

The thought of it escaping into the wild and becoming and invasive species did cross my mind. I guess this is always a concern.

Let's hope this plant mutates and eradicates all the GMO crops

edit on 20-2-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: removed off content

The article did say the plant was pretty good at adapting

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
It wasn't dead. If it was dead they couldn't have revived it. It was very hard to wake up.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Good stuff, for all the fear mongers, if a squirrel as able to get a seed off the plant, I don't suspect the plant is capable of killing off man kind.

it did say "borrow of", not "cave of giant squirrell"

edit on 21-2-2012 by mindping because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mindping
Good stuff, for all the fear mongers, if a squirrel as able to get a seed off the plant, I don't suspect the plant is capable of killing off man kind.

it did say "borrow of", not "cave of giant squirrell"

edit on 21-2-2012 by mindping because: (no reason given)

You mean "burrow" not "borrow"

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Dont know if this has been asked.yet but wouldny a 32000 year old plant affect a modern day ecosystem?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Yeah, but the pines have been happily growing in their little hidey-hole very much alive and were only thought to be extinct. Also, the Wollemi is available in lots of nursery's these days too, so its population is spreading.

This plant has been extinct, except for the seed. So its a big deal!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
It wasn't dead for 32.000 years - or else it would be a ZOMBIE PLANT brought back from the dead - it was simply having a LONG KIP

PLANT SAYS: "YAWN! BLOODY HELL THAT WAS ONE LONG WINTER"

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
What luck that plant has. Sleep for 32000 years and wake up in 2012 only to hear the world may end.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Corruption Exposed,
Great Post! I found another article on a seperate website of this plant and remembered you posted it here first! It talked about how much we can learn from this old species and made my green thumb plant loving self excited!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
To be honest Im not really impressed.
The flower looks like the ones in any shop 0.0 but whatever. I say way overrated

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I wonder if anyone is hearing faint "Feed Me." noises.

One team member had a fatal Asthma attack? Misidentified ancient allergy in his DNA? Too coincidental not to look. If an immune response is seen in an autopsy it could be a new danger.

My thought is that if you had a severe allergy in your ancient lineage, and for that particular ages pollen type, could it trigger some immune response we have never seen? Asthma attack could be misidentified. They did not say if the scientist was Asthmatic.

Cool if we could get extinct species, but what subtle and new problems could result from exposure to current species and animal contact, and if the pollen gets airborne like Monsanto Strawberry pollen that spread the GM DNA so now all Strawberries are GM, what then. If such an ancient pollen's DNA is assimilated into this current flower species, and fatal ancient allergic responses started to be seen? Scary.

I wonder if insects found with eggs in ice that had viable dna could also be grown. That would just top the list of fears. Super mosquitoes, spiders & ants oh my!

You have to figure some glacial and ice melting and then exposes older species frozen like these sprout naturally when finding proper conditions after hundreds if not thousands of years in the ice. This has happened millions of times over the history of the Earth we can assume. But almost 40K years? Who could know the outcomes?

ZG
edit on 2/22/2012 by ZeroGhost because: OCD Issues

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join