It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead for 32,000 Years, an Arctic Plant Is Revived

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Pretty awesome! Talk about coming back from the dead!

I was surprised when I saw this as to how TOUGH seeds can be!

If they can survive that, that a peaceful nap for 32,000 years is a cake walk!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
If i plant can survive that long
imagine a deadly virus

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Or- maybe let’s not think the worst.
Maybe it will be discovered that this plant has some medicinal properties which can be useful to mankind.

Either way, it's a cute looking plant.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

That seed once belonged to this guy:

2.bp.blogspot.com...
edit on 21-2-2012 by flyingunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB6699
Or- maybe let’s not think the worst.
Maybe it will be discovered that this plant has some medicinal properties which can be useful to mankind.

No known medicinal uses, but traditionally the roots were used as a substitute for soap, so still very useful to have around, especially if the SHTF

edit on 21-2-2012 by Biliverdin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by Biliverdin

Well thats the whole point of the seed vault. To protect those seeds through thick and thin for a very long time.

Well duh! Obviously! But my point was that seed vaults serve certain purposes, Kew for example protects species from extinction, especially those which we have not yet fully been able to study, but are at risk due to human encroachment and deforestation etc. The Norwegian bank protects mainly food crops, so that if we mess up that side of things, by over using chemicals, pollution etc, we can still get good, healthy seed. Neither bank was designed for what would happen should we entirely annihilate ourselves, and another species then evolves to fill the vaccum that we leave. Hence my wonderment at this particular discovery, it means that those seed banks are, in a sense, potentially a time capsule, which can be unlocked so that that species can reanimate all that we destroyed and perhaps see what a horrible, selfish species we were and not make the same mistake. Which is not what the seed banks were designed for. Clearer.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Curruption Exposed,
This is an Awesome find!! Thank you for this share!! For agirl with a green thumb this makes me excited! It doesnt look like a very dangerous invasive species! Hope we have more finds like this soon!
Thank you for sharing this!!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliquandro
I generally trust and like most plants tho. But still they might want to do studies in small biospheres first before releasing this to the wild.

I'll let you into a little secret, while everyone is worrying about GM corn, there is a much greater GM catastrophe potentially waiting to happen. ALL GM plants that go out onto the market, officially sanctioned, must be infertile, as in, not be able to self-reproduce or pollinate. They are treated, chemically and biologically to prevent that, however, most GM and transgenic plant seed has been developed using Arabidopsis thaliana as a genetic base. It is, even under the most stringent laboratory conditions, impossible to contain the spread of the seeds of this plant, and without question, it is out there and spreading, rapidly. Because that is the very trait that they want from it, it's reproductive vigour, and ability to grow in almost any conditions. They have even developed a strain which will grow on chemically and explosive tainted ground (for the US Military). So, this Campion is the least of our worries, especially if it's reproduction cycle is 32,000 years.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
ahh, it's just a little baby, full grown it will be 30 ft tall!!!

okay, it worked with the plant, bring out the t-rex, I am dying to see if it works with animals!!
and while your at it, put the plant inside a pyramid on a lay line, shoot a energy wave through it into a chicken's egg...let's see what we get....
still no monsters?? darn!!! but that's why bacteria and viruses are my best friends...back to the microscope!!!

pretty plant, and I really wouldn't worry too much about it...
but as they are digging through ice that older than the hills, well, it wouldn't be surprising for them to find long dead viruses that humans have never come in contact with...and it's those that should worry people!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
awesome discovery, and just in time...my Mammoth's are starving!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
its a harmless little garden flower, you people think too much

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Hello observer1, I know from previous threads written by you that your contactees have told you that the world has every plant available to cure every disease in the world, so I'm curious really on your opinion here is apocoliptia aparatus a name of a plant, only I did a search and all it brings up is this thread,if it's a name of a plant then in your opinion why did it go extinct, if it's not a name of a plant what does apocoliptia aparatus mean please I would love to hear what you have to say on this matter, as you know I'm an avid follower of yours.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
When I saw this thread, I was extremely startled at the picture of the flowering plant. I've seen this plant before, in my mind. I actually incorporated it into a story that I wrote for a writing contest here on ATS.

It is definitely an interesting find!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh

Oh wow, I read your story and if it's true how wonderful is that, let's plant them everywhere, just absolutely fantastic, thank you for taking time out to tell us all.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Maybe it's the lost plant ingredient in soma from the rig veda? Grow it out and then try some...

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
should I bring in my tomato plants just in case?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
"Seeds from the ancient plants germinated with 100 percent success, compared with 90 percent for seeds from living campions."

I found that to be interesting...

Thank you for posting, i shared it on my wall

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

This is amazing, indeed.

I think that this could be used as an example to show the sheer power of life on our planet. No matter what can happen, short of burning to a cinder, life will always, in the end, prevail.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Imagine a large meteor or comet hitting ancient Siberia, something like what people think killed the dinosaurs. Dislodging chunks of frozen ice and blasting them into space, inside a tiny seed lies protected to travel through space for 32,000 years. One day it crashes into a planet with the right atmosphere, roots itself and a single flower exists on an otherwise lifeless world.

That's kind of poetic, a single little flower on an entire planet of nothing but rock and dirt. Imagine if one day we send an expedition to mars and find ONE tree in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure that would baffle a few people.

This also kind of makes me wonder if life can evolve "backwards"? As in a plant eventually evolving back down to a bacteria, I suppose maybe it could if the need to do so was there. Also there would have to be another plant of course, if in the above scenario.

Very interesting, thanks.
edit on 21-2-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
A plant that is so Hardy will eventually be classified as a weed. I give it two years before NATO bombs the hell outta these terrorist plants,.how dare they try to keep top soil erosion in check. Disregard all my ramblings if big pharma finds a disease or a cure and or both in this sleeper plant

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join