It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going on hols to Florida - any tips?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I have decided to abondon my principles and bow to nagging kids and visit the corporate mecca of orlando, for two weeks in october.

Obviously we'll be attending the obligatory disney parks, universal etc...

what i wondering was if any of you could recommend anything thats perhaps a bit out of the norm, or off the tourist trap as it were?

id like to spend a couple of days away from the parks, hiring a car so dont mind a couple of hrs driving

also if anyone can recommend any good restaurants? traditional american diner type places - or anywhere thsat does those epic eating challenges like on man vs food?!!!

anyhow any tips or advice is much appreciated

much love
stu

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by discostu123

Get there early.
Don't go in the summer. You will die of the heat or be burnt like a lobster.
In the winter orlando gets cold so bring a jacket.
Wake up early and get there early to avoid the rush.
The food prices are expensive. Bring your own snacks if you can.
Do everything you can at the parks. They have all sorts of things going on.
If you have little ones bring a stroller. You can park it at the ride entrances or exits.
If you have little ones go early in the am. Go back to the hotel for a nap. Then go back in the evening. The kids won't be cranky that they didn't nap.

Above all have fun. You're spending alot of cash to be there.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Gatorland, skyway fishing piers, La nouba at Disney world resort. There's loads to do besides the parks and I've been taking my son there on and off since 2005 but it gets dearer all the time.
I was of the same mind as yourself the first time but watching your kids enjoy themselves is worth it, don't splash out too much on the hotel as you will probably only use it as a base because you'll be out most of the day.
Not sure where your from but if its the UK you can get some ideas from the DIBB and you can even knock up an itinerary for free.
Above all just enjoy yourself,take plenty of fluids for the kids as it does get hot and don't try to cram too much in as you know how ratty they can get.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Oh you must hire a car and go down to The Everglades.
It will be an overnight stay, I think it was Homestead where we stayed.

Defo take the air-boat ride, its amazing !!

The one in Orlando is geared up purely for tourists, take the one in The Everglades.

There's a small ice cream place nearby as well, the lime milk shakes are to die for !! Yum....

Just remember though, don't get too close to the alligators, seriously those reptiles can sure move

Yes...nobody told me at the time !

Have fun, and watch those theme parks gobble up the dollars baby.....Mwahahaha...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Go to the Coral Castle outside of Homestead... absolutely fascinating and a good primer for all the stuff read here on ATS.

Anf if you are that far south, might as well see the Florida Keys and when you come back up, turn left onto "alligator alley" and catch a airboat ride with the Kissemee Indians...ask about Bigfoot or as theycall him... the Old Man. Also check out the sugar cane fields and processing plants... like a spice factory from Dune.

On the wayback up, ride US 1A along the shore..beautiful and lots of good fresh seafood...Oh, and Cape Canaveral or Cape Kennedy. If you stay in the older family owned hotels, you can save a bunch of money.

Avoid I-95 if possible.. we saw some crazy stuff on there.. damned dangerous.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

You might try some of the places in these web sites.
byways.org...

www.yourhometown.org...

www.roadsideamerica.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Miami South Beach is always great. Fun place. Last time I was there, I stayed at the Trump International Sonesta Beach Resort.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
My wife and I live about an hour away from Orlando, so we go all the time....

There's an eclectic little strip of shops, and a couple of free-standing rides, called Old Town, that you should check out. It's in Orlando, right near the parks, but it's really a pretty unique little place.
myoldtownusa.com...

Downtown Disney is a pretty neat place to shop and window shop (can be boring for kids though, other than them badgering you to buy them everything).

Gatorland is pretty interesting, if you're into alligators and seeing them up close.
www.gatorland.com...

Skull Kingdom is kind of neat...basically a year-round haunted house you can go through. It's on International Drive, and you can't miss spotting this place.

There are other theme parks worth checking out too...
- Sea World
- Wet & Wild (water park) - though in Oct, won't likely be a good time
- LegoLand (just recently opened)
- Discovery Cove (swim with Dolphins) - again, see the Oct. caution

There are some cool dinner theaters here...with a story as you eat
- Medieval Times (dinner while watching knights joust)
- Pirate Adventures (dinner while watching a bunch of pirates on a ship set)
- Arabian Nights (dinner while watching some great horse acts)

For other restaurants....

There's an Emeril's in CitiWalk (right by Universal). However, Emeril also has another restaurant (Tchoup Tchoup) I like better. It's very close, inside the Royal Pacific resort. You can take the water taxi to it from CitiWalk, even if you aren't staying at the resort. I'd recommend making reservations in advance to either of these places for dinner. Lunch, you can usually walk in, though in-season, always good to check. Simply put, this is the best food I've ever eaten in my 40 years on this planet. However, it can also be a bit pricey. My wife and I's bill usually comes to around $130 (including drinks and appetizers) for dinner.

The world's largest McDonalds is in Orlando, and it's pretty interesting. Their Bistro menu has very un-Mc food.

Chubby's Family Diner is probably the kind of diner you're looking for. They are strictly breakfast and lunch. They are on East Colonial Drive.

The B-Line Diner at the Peabody is a great 24hr place.

There is SO much to do in Orlando that you'll never get it all in, in one or even a few trips. Hope you have fun!
October is a GREAT time to go, as it should be cooler.

edit on 21-6-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

you will be descending into the pit of hell. i'd pray for you if I thought it would help.

watch your back in miami.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Within the winter orlando, if will get wintry thus bring some sort of jacket.
Wake up beginning and acquire there beginning avoiding the actual rush.
The foodstuff charges are expensive.
Carry out everything you could with the theme parks.
If you have little ones bring some sort of child stroller. You can park your car the item with the journey entrances or making a profit.
Make it beginning.
Will not will end up in summer months. You might die from the high temperature or end up being burned such as a lobster.

top topics

join