It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you really ready for a long term Bug Out Situation?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CSBowie

Here is my plan so far. First off, myself and my spouse have a bug out bag to get us to where we need to go. Check out my list here, and tell me what you think.

BOB so far

So, in the event that something happens, I'm getting the heck out of the city and up to my family's land. There my family raises cattle, horses, and chickens. There is a well on the land. If something wasn't nuclear, the animals are good to eat, ride, and to keep making food. Between all the family members, about 500 acres, plenty of guns and ammo, I think we should be ok for a long term bug out situation. My dad can build anything, and I can ride the heck out of some horses if we needed to make any quick and stealth travel. I assume in this event, we wouldn't exactly have gas stations still handing out gasoline. All of my family's homes have giant propane tanks for heating too. Also, basically the main yard is a junk yard, so there are plenty materials to build anything we needed.

My only issue is getting there safely. It is 175 miles away from me, but I think our bug out bags, hog dog, and hunting skills could last us at least 3 weeks in the event we would need to walk.

Any suggestions? I'm no expert, but I sort of feel like I've so called "felt the call" and have prepared somewhat at least.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RightWingAvenger
reply to post by CSBowie

I think it is pretty safe to say that once the petroleum based economy has ended humans will die. Its our time and we shouldn't pretend we will not be extinct.

Absolutely not. I'm prepped to the gills. Live in a rural mountain area. You can roll over and die...I'll be fighting tooth and nail for every moment I've earned on this earth. And try my best to leave it a better place.

Des

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
got my powdered eggs in now. If everything goes to hell I need chocolate chip cookies to go with my coffee. I'm hoping nothing major will happen. I'm not prepared and have little desire to bug out. My family can go without me. If It's that bad that I guess I will have to bug out to please my family.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by oniraug

If SHTF people would form tribes again, eventually. All it takes is 1 experienced hunter to teach everyone in that group how to hunt, clean, store, ect show others what plants are good for picking and which insects are the best tasting. Who's going to hunt all alone if SHTF anyway?

More and more I am thinking just that. There is security in numbers. People are social.

Alone with a smoke report,,,alone with a cooking smell report, all alone.

I dont want to, I'm getting old and I know it. I hope nothing happens. But I am as good once as I ever was.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CSBowie

I just found this podcasts

Maybe this is something that could be of interest for you.

The Survival Podcast

EPISODE-148- BUG OUT PLANNING AND DOCUMENTATION

Today’s show covers the formalized planning and documentation process I have personally developed to handle any situation where bugging out is required. This plan is designed to keep decision making logical and get family members in touch with each other and to rally points on the way to your Bug Out Location should the ability to rally at home firt be compromised.

Tune in today to hear…

Planning your initiaion sequence and requirements
Setting up and utilizing means of communicaiton during a bug out
Know where to go – 3 locations – 3 routes and for both long distance and short distance
Procedures for arrival and waiting and departing rally points
The need for full documentation including maps, plans and contact data
Why your data must be “uniform”
Basic op sec for your data, with out paranoia
Multiple routes for all BOLs and Rally Points
Grab and Get lists beyond your basic kit (short and long)
Chane of Command – Group Hierarchy for Civilians
Planning for Pet Evacuations and the Doggy Bug Out Bag

edit on 22-2-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by oniraug

Good Point, but I still wouldn't worrie about it. If it is an experienced hunter, then there will be less of a chance of waste from improper care. If they did teach others, that would also cut down on the problem of people going into the woods and "spraying and praying".
Your other point of creating villages, I agree that this will happen. A positive to this is people will still be able to domesticate and raise livestock.

My point with my post is that Farming/ ranching have been around for thousands of years. They did not Begin with internet, banking, or government. They will not End with it either.

On a side note, how long will Vegans be around for? If they only forage, they will quickly run out of food between eating and stalking up for winter. Without at least gardening, the resources they forage will only sustain them for so long.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JJTHEFETT
reply to post by oniraug

Good Point, but I still wouldn't worrie about it. If it is an experienced hunter, then there will be less of a chance of waste from improper care. If they did teach others, that would also cut down on the problem of people going into the woods and "spraying and praying".
Your other point of creating villages, I agree that this will happen. A positive to this is people will still be able to domesticate and raise livestock.

My point with my post is that Farming/ ranching have been around for thousands of years. They did not Begin with internet, banking, or government. They will not End with it either.

On a side note, how long will Vegans be around for? If they only forage, they will quickly run out of food between eating and stalking up for winter. Without at least gardening, the resources they forage will only sustain them for so long.

A vegan is a human first. When a vegan gets hungry enough, they will revert to carnivores. Omnivores are what we are, with flexibility built-in.

Des

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join